New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Finally Driven a SAFARI last night, and oh boy! what raw power, now i know why ungas is making minced meat of our trails...

as what afrasay said, this is going to be my next.............

bwahahahahaha

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    You can buy a turbo from any surplus shops from big ones to small ones. But since you are looking for truck turbo it could mean that you want a big boost. I know some body who put a turbo on his safari, he got the turbo from a mitsubishi 4D34T engine and let his mechanic installed it, so far its running good. The important factor when installing turbo on a N/A engine is not to over boost it so as not to damaged the internals, maybe a maximum of 7psi. You can buy boost gauge na parang Auto meter ang looks but cheaper forgot the name but parang auto meter even the packaging. it around 2.5k. i think auto gauge ang brand.

youre right Kimps the Patrol has raw power but imagine what more power it will generate if it has a turbo. This why the LC80 is the vehicle of choice for most due to the power of the engine 4.2 turbo.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    correct you are katotong ARB, that's why im having nightmares of these two beautiful 4 wheeled vehicle.

if the N/A TD42 consumes 6-7 liters per km, what would be numbers if turboed?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by kimpOy

if the N/A TD42 consumes 6-7 liters per km, what would be numbers if turboed?
    parang ayaw ko nang kwentahin kapag
    may turbo na yung patrol..
    takaw na siguro sobra kapag may turbo..
    lalo na at parating ma-trapik sa daan ngayon.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    last count , my consumption is 7.6 km/liter.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    I just want additional pulling power, to satisfy my driving style.

My dad had a MB 300 SDL before Auto. It had a turbocharged 3 liter 6 cylinder engine, w/o intercooler. It was rated at 146hp. I really liked its acceleration, it runs like a petrol car.

I want my Safari to more or less get close to that kind of performance.

Thanks for the all of the advice with regards to turbocharging. I am aware of the do's and dont's of turbocharging.

To ARB: Can you ask your friend who turbocharged his Safari with a 4D34T engine the following:

Where he installed the turbo, before the throttle or between the throttle and intake manifold? Coz, the TD42 uses a Pneumatic governor in its injection pump.

Where did he get the turbo and how much?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by afrasay
    last count , my consumption is 7.6 km/liter.
    ako 6.7 km/liter..
    traffic kasi madalas eh!!!
    pero kapag gabi..
    harurot naman sa expressway..
    haaayyy...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    HENRY - the last ime i saw it the tube from the turbo ran right smack into the intake manifold, but did not notice the throttle you mentioned, maybe when we see each other again i will inspect it. it was only his own mechanic that installed the turbo that services their trucks. he got the turbo from one of their panel vans na may turbo na canter. the turbo was put after the exhaust manifold unlike some custom jobs where they make a new manifold or customize the OE manifold. yung lang the turbo is situated below near the oil pan and the intake side tubes run below the oil pan to the intake manifold to the other side. but not sure about the throttle part. may throttle plate ba mga TD42?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    The local TD42 has an in-line injection pump that uses a pneumatic governor, it uses vacuum signals from the throttle valve attached on top of the manifold to control fuel delivery.

I just want to make sure if its safe to put the turbo before the throttle in an engine that uses pneumatic governors. I've read once, that if the turbo was installed before the throttle, at full load and boost there will be no available vacuum signal, and the injection pump will go to full fuel delivery, and might destroy the engine by itself.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    mga kapatid, pwede ho bang malaman kung anong website at kung anong email meron si Auto_Xer para makapagtanong tungkol sa TD42 T engine. tnx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Turbocharging Safari TD42 and A/T conversion