New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    hello po. is it possible to replace the timing chain if you might hereing some clicking sound after you use the car...meaning for some reason when the car was been use for many hours already. but when you actually start the engine in the morning doesnt have any noise at all.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, the old GA engines on the box type Sentras use a t-belt pa rin (CMIIW).

Hows the clicking sound after you use the car? It comes out when you turn the engine off? Have you checked your valve clearances?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Agree with vinj. Timing chain problems are not heard after the engine is turned off.

What you're hearing is ticking from the valves as they cool down and the metal contracts. Common with GAs after long, hard use.

A timing chain problem usually sounds a little like rattling or squealing while the engine is running, when the chain tensoner starts to give or the chain guide needs replacing.
    Last edited by niky; August 24th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    sir vinj the valve clearances can be adjust? one of the mechanics tells me that the valve clearance of this model cannot be adjust. i dont know, maybe you can tell me more sir....there's no sounds when you turn off the engine.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Agree with vinj. Timing chain problems are not heard after the engine is turned off.

What you're hearing is ticking from the valves as they cool down and the metal contracts. Common with GAs after long, hard use.

A timing chain problem usually sounds a little like rattling or squealing while the engine is running, when the chain tensoner starts to give or the chain guide needs replacing.

yes sir niky its seems the sound youve said is like that. what should i do?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the car's emissions are still good and it runs fine with no problems in terms of power or fuel consumption... there's not much you need to do. All my Sentras have been like that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think normal lang yan. dahil may cooling yung mga metal parts ng car na sobrang init.
    imho, pag timing chain, hindi pinapalitan yan, unless deformed na.... and besides, kung timing chain problem, dapat maingay habang tumatakbo ang makina.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If the car's emissions are still good and it runs fine with no problems in terms of power or fuel consumption... there's not much you need to do. All my Sentras have been like that.

ok po. observation for this one for the moment. thank you very much sir nikky.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i think normal lang yan. dahil may cooling yung mga metal parts ng car na sobrang init.
    imho, pag timing chain, hindi pinapalitan yan, unless deformed na.... and besides, kung timing chain problem, dapat maingay habang tumatakbo ang makina.

ok po. is it ok to put an oil treatment?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Most oil treatments do nothing that a good oil won't.

timing chain from 1990 nissan sgx