New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hi guys,

newbie here... just want to ask kung ano mas ok engine swap my ga16de to a sr20de or turbo my ga16de? just want to have a little umph on the road... minsan po kasi sinabayan ako nang vtec sa hi way at feeling ko iiwanan nya ako kaya hindi ko na sya sinabayan... how much po kaya gagastusin ko kung sr20de swap gagawin ko compared to having a turbo? thanks for the inputs and God bless

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my car po pala is a b14 series 3 sentra... may IHE na po sya and medyo nahihinaan pa rin po ako sa hatak nya... comparing it to my friend's SIR... hehe

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    An SiR versus a B14 Super Touring with an SR20DE with IHE... should be just about even. Versus a GA16DE with a turbo? Depends on the turbo boost. Anywhere between a confirmed kill and "what was that bug I just ran over?" A safe 7 psi of boost should get you about 160-180 hp.

But if you're the tinkering type, an SR20DE gives you more tuning options down the road... An SR20DE with a turbo is a monster of an engine.

And swapping to an SR20DE is cheaper than turboing the GA16DE (if you're turboing it properly, I mean).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have done both.

I previously has a B13 with a GA16DE with turbocharger/intercooler upgrade. I also currently have a B14 with a SR20DE swapped to replace the GA16 motor. The SR20DE gives better overall performance and reliability (assuming you got a good condition motor and clean swap).

The SR20 would let you have the same overall power of a GA16DE turbo in factory stock setting. Minor mods including S-AFC and IHE would result in a boost of power from the 140hp stock to around 170hp to 180hp.

The B14 w/ SR20DE (stock) would slightly out-accelerate a Civic SiR simply because the engine has more torque. And given there are many mods readily available for the SR20, your options is only limited by your wallet and sanity. In the least, you can go nitrous or turbo to boost your power to 200hp.

If you insist on the GA16 w/ turbo route, you will need at least a stage 1 clutch upgrade to prevent the clutch from slipping or frying. You would also engage the gears carefully because I have damaged my B13's gearbox even when I still had it in all-motor setup. SR20 gearboxs are made stronger and some even come with LSDs which comes in handy when you are trying to corner at high speed.

As for cost, the GA16DE turbo would cost you more, almost twice more as compared to a SR20 swap (including the cost offset by selling the GA16 engine).
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 9th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    thanks so much for the replies sir... will consider swapping to an SR20de next year... will hold off with setting the setting up of the exterior... would you guys know how much all in all will i spend for an sr20de swap? and how much will i be able to sell my ga16de? would buyers consider it's very low mileage? i got it with just 34k mileage on it... now it has 37.5k... my cousin got sick and was not able to drive it for a very long time...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't know the current price but used to be a SR20 swap can be done under P65K. Make sure the engine mount that needs to be adjusted is done with proper alignment to the body.

As for the "trade-in" value of the GA16 motor, no idea.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    time tighten up my budget hehehe....

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    btw... how many HP will a complete IHE setup for my ga16de give me? will it be enough to pass those other 1.6L sedans on the road?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fishda View Post
    btw... how many HP will a complete IHE setup for my ga16de give me? will it be enough to pass those other 1.6L sedans on the road?
    Other sedans meaning non-SiR cars, yes but it will just do it barely.

My B13's GA16DE upgrade/setup:
    -APEXi Super AFC (gen2 analog system)
    -K&N cone intake
    -Nodalo's 4-2-1 headers
    -Nodalo's big body freeflow muffler (2.5inch internal tube diameter)
    -2 inch exhaust piping
    -"MSD" ignition controller
    -"Torquemaster" sparkplugs
    -"Hurricane" high tension wires
    -"Clutchmaster" stage 1 clutch upgrade
    -ignition advance

Based on my G-Tech Pro speed meter, my car would be doing around 125hp at the crank. 15hp over the stock 110hp isn't a lot especially on the amount of money spent. Not to mention my GA16DE fuel consumption is even more than a stock SR20DE would consume.

For the money spent, I could have had a SR20 engine swap done resulting in even more HP gained over the modified GA16.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    To get to an estimated 145 bhp with the GA16DE would take a port and polish, cams, raised compression and redline, computer tuning... etcetera.

That would, as GH says, take a lot of money. You would match a stock SR20 in terms of hp, but your torque will still be pathetic. Hmmm... there's a guy at Speedlab right now installing the Jim Wolf Cams... I'll try to find out how much he made... probably won't be much... the car is currently at just 90-95 whp.

With the SR20DE, you're already at an estimated 145 bhp... Ghosthunter is already at around 170-180 bhp (without high-performance cams or internal work... the rat...) with merely bolt on mods and an S-AFC. There's one guy who went crazy on the SR20 and got a built SR20VE from the US... and he's making around 210 bhp (190 whp)... without a turbo.

And when you go turbo... SRs have been known to handle over 400 hp on stock internals and over 500 hp with aftermarket internals. The sky's the limit... or... actually, your bank account. At 500 bhp, SRs break gearboxes with annoying regularity... But 200-300 bhp on a street build is an intriguing possibility.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
sr20de or turbo ga16de?