New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Need some advice guys. The radiator fan of our xtrail stopped working. took it to the casa last week and they gave a quote of 10k plus and labor for the fan replacement. I just want to know if the fan can still be fixed? and not replaced entirely. if yes, maybe i can find another shop who can do the job.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just take it to a electrical shop and they can find an alternative or try dropping by the surplus shops and look for a motor or assembly that can fit. What matters is that it can be fixed to work in line with the ECU signal to turn it off and on when needed.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    kinda early for your radiator fan to pack up, ha...

could be just a corroded thermoswitch (the thing that turns the fan on or off automaticaly with the engine heat) failing to supply the proper signal to turn on to the fan motor.

if the motor is really broken (have an electrician apply current to the motor, if it turns, ok pa yan, if its dead, sira yung loob ng motor), i suggest a high quality replacement part na lang... too expensive naman at 10,000 yung singil sa casa. i can buy a brand new replacement radiator and another fan for my honda with that kind of money.

buy from established nissan parts sellers in banawe or anyplace malapit sa inyo. bring the dead motor as sample. if they ask kung ano kotse galing yun, just say na galing sa sentra para hindi mahalan hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    grabe naman magtake advantage yang casa na yan. tanong ka rin sa iba pang casa sa ibang location. sabagay mahal nga kung buong assembly. pero kung sa reliable na shop mo ipapagawa ttyagain nila ma-isolate ang problem down to the piyesa level. baka nga motor lang or switch lang. kahit hindi orig brand basta high quality replacement at swak dun sa assembly pwede na yan.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thanks for the reply guys. The casa (nissan gallery ortigas) almost had me there. good thing i didnt have the money that day.

I will try to find a good shop tomorrow.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Usually you can have the motor replaced or fixed. Much cheaper than at the casa with the same durability & reliability.

Not sure if they can do it, you can try calling up SPEEDYFIX which is located along Shaw.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if your xtrail's fan is like my sentra's, you're out of luck. because it's a one-piece construction. it can't be fixed. i tried, stopping short of grabbing the hacksaw. finally, i got mine replaced by the tambay-mechanic beside the auto parts store i bought the replacement from, along taft corner vergel st. near LRT pasay rotonda. it's a simple nuts and bolts thing. i think i saved half of the casa price. i also thought of getting surplus, but decided against it because i might be buying a ticking time bomb.
    it's really nice to have things done at the nissan casa hecho derecho, if your time is money and you have lots of money. but for other mortals like us, we have to do it the banawe way.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if your xtrail's fan is like my sentra's, you're out of luck. because it's a one-piece construction. it can't be fixed. i tried, stopping short of grabbing the hacksaw. .
    which model sentra do you have?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    which model sentra do you have?
    it's a 1997 s3 sentra ex.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Very timely thread. Our xtrail's aux fan made a weird noise, sometimes it would just stop and the AC stops blowing cold air.

Anyway its a pretty straightforward repair. Just did mine recently. A little DIY is needed. If you can remove motor, bring it to a surplus shop so they can look for an exact replacement. Just don't tell them its for the Xtrail. Bought mine for PHP750. I can help you with the installation if you like. No charge. Hehe.

Radiator fan replacement