New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi!

I would just like some inputs re: 1999 Nissan Terrano.

It seems to me that this 4x4 is not that popular compared to its other contemporaries, can you guys share some comments because I'm planning to buy one.

I prefer terrano for its medium size (not too hard to find a parking space for) and yet the high clearance for floods and off-roads. Also, its 2.7L in-line Diesel engine which I think is just right for its weight, unlike others that has almost the same engine displacement but way far heavier that the terrano. (power to weight ratio).

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Test drive one first as the thing is dog slow. For me its ok, but for some people the slowness is unacceptable.

Even with a displacement of 2.7 liters, the TD27 makes only around 70horsepower. Roughly what a 1988 2.5l non-turbo Pajero or a '98 Kia Besta 2.2 makes. The engine itself is easy to work on and requires very little attention.

Some users also complain of spongy, inadequate brakes. So better do a test drive to find out for yourself.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    simple car, nothing special but can get the job done

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    turbo equipped pajeros are better performers..

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If I'm going to get the turbo-equiped pajero, might as well go for a the old Safari instead. right?

But would really love to hear domments about terranos.

Thank you.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I'm going to get the turbo-equiped pajero, might as well go for a the old Safari instead. right?
    The answer to this is: It depends. Do a search on the numerous Safari vs. Pajero threads in the forum if you'd like to know more.

For more Terrano info, just browse the threads at the bottom of this page. 'Similar Threads'

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks Sir Otep!

I think the Terrano will fit my needs being underpowered is not a problem since I don't have the need for speed. and based on the previous threads regarding the Terrano, there are more pros than cons.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tatalope View Post
    Thanks Sir Otep!

I think the Terrano will fit my needs being underpowered is not a problem since I don't have the need for speed. and based on the previous threads regarding the Terrano, there are more pros than cons.
    Hi tatalope, about the terrano here are the pros:

1. TD 27 is a very reliable diesel engine (it uses timing Chain).
    2. Master cylinder for brakes is very durable. My friend terrano is his everyday car since 1998 up to now, and didn't experience any leak sa master cylinder.
    3. Brake maintenace is basic, palit ka lang disc pad.
    4. Very durable underchasis parts.
    5. NIce ride than 1995 model pajeros 2.5 turbo diesel. (Pajero is makalampag kahit bago, lalo na mga upuan pag alang pasahero)
    6. Uses coil spring suspension.
    7. OEM parts are available in most auto supplies.
    8. Good A/C
    9. No electronic parts sa engine, kaya change oil and tune up lang maintenance mo and change mga filters lang. Filters of Nissan diesel engione is very affordable, puede na ung VIC oil filter and fuel filter na orig is nasa P800 lang.
    10. Steering gear box is very durable din pati na underchasis parts.
    11. Overall build quality and reliability (Nissan Diesel Engine). Mas reliable naman engine neto compared to Kia and Mitsu diesel. Ask the mechanics and bus companies, most bus right now are using Nissan Diesel PE6 Turbo Diesel. And its like a bigger version of Nissan TD Diesel engine series.
    12. All Power
    13 Rear wiper with intermittent switch
    14. With enough space for ur luggage.
    15. Fuel Efficiency for 5 speed manual diesel engine (12.5 kilometers per liter of diesel at 80 to 90 km/h cruising speed)

Cons:

1. Slow
    2. Medyo nakapasok yung tires kaya parang ang laki ng fender (Except the TX 4 model)
    3. Big tires means more expensive compare to Rim 13 to 14 tires (Accept it a lang SUV naman yan eh!).
    4. Medyo gapang ang performance from Kennon road Lions area hanggang Baguio general Hospital. Di kasi siya turbo kaya parang medyo bitin sa power kahit mat 4wd 4h setting ka. Kayang kaya ka habulin ng mga txi na fx sa baguio sa panikan/ahonan.
    5. No third row seat.

If you want to make it more powerful, hanap ka surplus na QD 32 yung gamit ng frontier na 3.2 4x4. May nakita kao dati sa banawe P47,000 asking kasama transmission. Ala ka proproblemahin sa engine support and turnilyuhan ng transmission. Same same lahat and salpak mo engine as is where is.
    Last edited by jcastillo932; February 5th, 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Timing belt to timing chain

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    iba ba ito sa 2.7L diesel ng Urvan Escapade at Frontier 2.7E?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    iba ba ito sa 2.7L diesel ng Urvan Escapade at Frontier 2.7E?
    Hi Basti, its the same 2.7L diesel of Urvan Escapade and Frontier 2.7 E. Actually since 1985 pa ang TD27. Ginamit ito ng Nissan for their mini trucks in Japan.

TD diesel engine series of Nissan is a very reliable engine. Dito sa pinas ginamit nila ito sa dating Nissan Urvan Microbus TD25, Nissan Patrol Safari Series TD42, and Nissan Pathfinder up to Eagle Series TD27. And still in used up to now for Frontier 4 x 2 and Urvan Escapade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nissan Terrano 2.7L (Diesel)