New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    will adding coil spring spacers to compensate for the sagging springs help, given that you have branded functioning shocks?? or advisable to change the coils totally to a new set....i just think that buying branded springs for a 93 safari isn't worth the investment, but it is still up to you....

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir fibzzz,

i'm having the same problem with my safari. changed the shock absorbers to new ones and yet, there is just minimal improvement in the quality of the ride. have you changed your springs? did your ride improved? thanks.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    well theres only one way to find out haha. na order ko na e. im just waiting for the coils to arrive this month. Then ill know kung may major improvement ba talaga or sobrang hyped up lang yung old man emus. at least maayos yung sagging problem for sure.

manta: was your ride quality before a lot better than your ride now? major difference from back then and now? my reason for asking this is to find out whether your prob is due to worn out parts or not. ive read TONS of articles na from the net and until now i can't really tell if my prob can be fixed magically by replacing all of the suspension parts. Baka kasi nasa design na talaga ng safari to be matagtag since live axles nga ito vs the independent axles . i forgot na talaga how my ride quality was back when bagong bago pa yung safari.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir fibzzz,

definitely better dati. sobra talaga matagtag ngayon. will wait for your response once you have your new coils installed. thanks.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Manta: what parts did you change already ( busings, body mounts,etc)? Kindly list down the part and brand and anu ba yung exact problem mo? matagtag as in stiff ride? nag bobottom out? maingay squeaky, rattling sound parang nag earthquake sa loob ng car ? The more specifics the better para matulungan ka ng mga experts dito.

UPDATE on OME Springs: Changed the springs na and i must say it really improved the ride. Mas may "bounce" ( not to be confused with a bouncy ride) na when going over humps and potholes nabawasan yung bottoming out. At high speeds nabawasan narin yung shaking, rattling and rolling hehe mas stable na. Less boaty feel ( body roll ). Over uneven cement roads nandyan parin yung tagtag but as with the others, nabawasan yung effects to an extent. if i change the polyurethane bushings to rubbers mababawasan further yun tagtag kaya? On good condition roads, sobra ganda ng ride. Very stable and quiet Parang pero yun lang nga medyo kulang ata yung good condition roads natin dito pinas haha.

Overall, not bad. Noticeable yung improvements. i wouldn't say night to day yung difference though. Depends na siguro what your expectations are. highly subjective. Tama nga mga articles in saying that the ride will never improve to car-like ride quality. This is due to the fact na old "live axle" design yung gamit ng safari as with other pure 4x4 vehicles bec. mas matibay ito but sobra bigat lang nga ( independent suspension yung sa exped if im not mistaken kaya mas maganda ride nya and aluminum mags yung sa landcruiser kaya mas magaan = less tagtag kahit na live axels din gamit).

Note: Mechanics showed me the old springs. Metal to metal na sa sobra sagged. magkadikit na yung 3 rows. Wala pa yung gearbox packer naubusan kasi but hinde naman ata kelangan bec wala naman yung vibration na sinasabi nila lalabas kapag di kinabit to. Same goes for the 6k+ caster kit. Di ko muna pina kabit but hindi rin kelangan ata. no noticeable side effects of drifting to the right or left. mangyayari daw to kapag di kinabit yung caster kit?haha

i think when it comes to suspensions, pinaka OK thing to do is to try out someone else's ride and compare. Mahirap kapag sa articles or reviews mo i base cuz ibaiba talaga yung levels ng matagtag for each person. sobra subjective

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir fibzzz,

have changed the front shock absorbers to kyb gas type and the rear to monroe gas type. the only bushing changed is the stab link bushing (front left and right); haven't changed the body mounts. it doesn't bottom out, but there is more than normal shaking rattling and rolling and boaty feel. after changing the shocks, this problem improved by just a little but still noticeable. would take it to a good 4x4 shop one of these days. thanks.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    100% sasabihn sayo ng 4x4 shop change mo na lahat and then some hehe while other people will say dont waste your money on an old car minimal improvement lang bla bla.

if budget is not a problem id say change your coils na. over the week i drove the patrol around manila and am convinced na tlga na it improved. not placebo. try asking the 4x4 shop if you could sample other customers' ride. punta ka kapag may nagpapagawa para ma try mo kung coils nga o nde. remember dont get heavy duty coils! goodluck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Nissan Safari 93 rough ride or normal lang?