New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006

Anyway, let's start off with the engine -- the famed RB26DETT. Pulled from a 2001 R34 Skyline, this engine is a twin-turbocharged inline six that is said to put out 280 metric horsepower to the flywheel. However, experts agree that this number of 280 is only given due to the old "gentlemen's agreement" power cap that all Japanese car manufacturers agreed to a few years back. In reality, this engine likely puts out power numbers in the 320-330 horsepower range.

There are no off-the-shelf kits to make classic Mustangs ready for Skyline power, so a lot of custom fabrication work was done to make this set-up work. The few parts that could be bought include a Spearco intercooler, Be Cool radiator, GReddy exhaust manifold and a custom N1-style Magaflow exhaust. The RB26's fuel system remains stock, but it gets its gas from a trunk-mounted Fuel Safe fuel cell that sends the go juice to the engine via some Earl's stainless steel lines.
    The Skyline GT-R is known for sending its power through all four wheels, however we all know that the Mustang is a rear-wheel drive car. So the wizards at Universal took a 5-speed manual transmission from a 1998 Skyline GT-S and bolted it to a Currie Enterprises 9-inch Ford rear end. This of course keeps the Mustang's drive wheels at the rear, which is very important when building a drift car. That said, we think it would be cool to see an all-wheel drive 'Stang...

This classic Mustang was designed to be a drift car, and drifting is especially punishing on a car's suspension system, so the 'Stangs suspension got a major overhaul. Global West supplied new upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors and some new coil over springs, while KYB provided a heavy duty set of shocks. The small stock Mustang rims were ditched in favor of some JDM-tight 19-inch Volk GT-7s. The rear wheels are a hefty 10 inches in width while the fronts are "only" 9-inches wide. These Volks are wrapped in Toyo Proxes T1Rs sized 245/35 ZR19 up front and 275/35 ZR19 in the rear. Hiding behind these coveted Japanese wheels sits a large-size Wilwood brake kit, with four pistons providing clamping force up front and 2 pistons putting the squeeze on the rear discs. How many more times can we say "front" and "rear"? We don't know, but we'll try to stop that now...

Looking at the pictures of this car's interior, it's easy to say that it looks... uh... crappy. There is no A/V system to speak of, and it really doesn't look that clean. However, there is quite a bit of cool stuff going on in the cockpit of this '67 Ford.

While the exterior of this Mustang gets a hefty dose of JDM-approved goodness, the interior is all classic American muscle. Year One supplied the factory replacement seats which, with the help of Diest seatbelts, keep the drivers securely in place during those long extended slides. Should the driver choose to take his or her eyes off the Flaming River steering wheel, he or she can learn about the state of the engine thanks to the Auto Meter gauges. Though the transmission of this 'Stang is all Japanese, it gets a taste of classic American gear selection thanks to the Hurst shifter. An extra custom handbrake lever was installed to aid in getting the pony car sideways.
    -cars.ign

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmmm. mixed thoughts on this. hehehe!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    This kinda breaks my heart....

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i consider myself a hard core mustang guy. i am into japanese imports as well as evidenced by my owning of multiple jap cars. i know the potential of that skyline engine (as well as the 2jz-gte in the supra) and as much as i respect the power it makes, it just doesn't belong into a mustang . it's considered sacrilege in the mustang community. can you imagine a famed muscle car buzzing like a bumble bee?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't want to debate with anybody so this is absolutely my personal opinion.

This car is nothing more than a BASTARDIZED 'stang. Just my 2 cents!!!

It's not about horsepower or anything but the lineage of car. I would have preferred if the 'stang has a Ford Racing crate engine shoehorned in it.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    love that shape

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO lang din, I don't see the point much since it's not like it's a car that never came with a potent engine... Kung sinabi mong isang classic but slow car tapos sinalpakan mo ng monster engine, that's logical for me, pero for an American muscle car donning a jap engine... I don't get it.

Although at the end of the day, oto nya yan hehe...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It makes me throw up!!!!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire
    I don't want to debate with anybody so this is absolutely my personal opinion.

This car is nothing more than a BASTARDIZED 'stang. Just my 2 cents!!!

It's not about horsepower or anything but the lineage of car. I would have preferred if the 'stang has a Ford Racing crate engine shoehorned in it.
    In the first place should '67 Stangs go drift racing in Japan?

Anyway, the RB-powered '67 Mustang is more of a show car(they always want to be unique somehow), but the car for the action scenes had a V8.

we're not terribly surprised to hear the "hero" of the new film is a '67 Mustang that eventually sports a Nissan RB26DETT, a twin-turbo straight-six familiar to gearheads as the motivating force behind the fierce Skyline GT-R. A version sporting a 430-cube Ford small-block was used by Rhys Millen for most of the sideways action shots, but when Hot Rod Magazine lined the two different 'stangs up at a dragstrip, the rice-burner ran the quarter mile in 13.32 seconds and 109.83 MPH - over 1.2 seconds quicker and 13 MPH faster than the Blue Oval V8. Ouch.
    Quicker? Ouch indeed...
    For me, i'd keep everything Ford or designed for Ford.
    If they wanted a smaller turbocharged engine that badly I guess they could have used the Falcon XR6's turbocharged inline-6...
    ...maybe they wanted an even lighter but still powerful engine or then again maybe they just wanted to do something that nobody would do.
    who knows, the RB engine in the 'stang might be part of the story(if it has one).

-autoblog.com
    The RB car, does actually work. According to testing done by Sport Compact Car in their July 2006 Issue the car puts down a 13.36 * 109.83, which is just a hair slower then my ZZ383 powered 1964 Malibu. Considering the high trap speed, coupled with the fact that 19″ Volk Racing wheels are hardly optimal for drag racing, I have to give the car some respect.

On the dyno the RB Mustang put out 340.2 RWHP * 7300 RPM, which is more then a stock RB26DETT, but is far from being anything remarkable.
    -hotrodhomepage

Reverse situation... a Ford 302 V8 powered (Nissan) Datsun 240Z...

BASTARDIZED Z car?
    Last edited by AG4; June 6th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Nissan RB-Powered '67 Mustang(Tokyo Drift)