New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Torque by itself does not make an off-road-capable pickup. It only means it can pull a heavy load.

There are lots of other things you have to look at in a rig you plan to take to the mud or mountains: breakover angle, fording angle, approach and departure angle, wheelbase length, front and rear overhang length, etc.

It's very easy for the ignorant to just base off-road capability on max torque and be done with it. Consequently it's also very easy to be fooled.

When you drive off-road on rough trails, you don't simply put stock in the capability of your rig. You also have to put stock in how you survey the terrain---the truck is only as good as its driver and spotter. That people are basing off-road capability on just how easy it is for a truck to get "stuck" means that off-roading is still largely misunderstood.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Torque by itself does not make an off-road-capable pickup. It only means it can pull a heavy load.

There are lots of other things you have to look at in a rig you plan to take to the mud or mountains: breakover angle, fording angle, approach and departure angle, wheelbase length, front and rear overhang length, etc.

It's very easy for the ignorant to just base off-road capability on max torque and be done with it. Consequently it's also very easy to be fooled.

When you drive off-road on rough trails, you don't simply put stock in the capability of your rig. You also have to put stock in how you survey the terrain---the truck is only as good as its driver and spotter. That people are basing off-road capability on just how easy it is for a truck to get "stuck" means that off-roading is still largely misunderstood.
    so we're fooled by navara's huge torque huh? hahahaha

so navara has bad breakover angle, fording angle, approach and departure angle, wheelbase length, front and rear overhang length? that's why it cant go offroad? im not just basing from torque dude. what the hell made you say that? i was saying that people say everest has better offroad capabilities vs alterra because of its torque but im not saying that its by torque alone.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Precisely the point... people are looking at TORQUE alone.

Said people are also the least qualified to judge a Navara's offroad credentials.

Want definitive proof of the Navara's trail ability? Ask someone who's actually tried it AND knows how to tackle a trail properly. Any rig can look good and "off-road-ready" on paper, but then again it's easy to make paper tigers. Conversely any driver can claim he/she knows how to go off-road but if he/she can't spot terrain properly he/she's not really qualified to judge a rig's capability.

Regarding approach/breakover angle, wheelbase and other chassis-related measurements...I never mentioned anything about them, just that you have to look at them too if you plan to tackle a trail any time soon.

Lahat naman yan may limitations eh. Off-roading isn't a "pataasan ng ihi" contest. The whole point of it is to cross treacherous terrain safely. It's also about knowing what your rig can and can't do, and driving it accordingly. So sure a Navara can get stuck---it's not as if other rigs can't. It's not as if you can't mitigate against that either.

What makes a good off-roader? Only 50% of it is up to the car. The other 50% is up to the DRIVER. That's my whole point.
    Last edited by Type 100; May 2nd, 2008 at 04:22 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    any 4WD truck is as good only as the driver is good. If you have a stupid driver, you won't go far with a 4WD as experienced here. You have to know how to use the 4WD to your advantage and when to use it at all.

let the guys at 4x4ph judge navarras offroad capability....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    torque? I bet 75% pickup owners doesn't know what it means, even heared.
    Majority still choose brand and rumors over paper.

its not all with the ride, it's the rider with luck.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I like your answers sir Type 100!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    no comment n lng ako hehe.. bka humaba lng usapan, obviously JJ is a big DMAX fan, kanya kanyang fans club lng yan. cguro crowded na masyado sa isuzu cars talk.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or5 View Post
    I like your answers sir Type 100!
    Thank you kind sir.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    *fedor: kitams

Quote Originally Posted by breakstuff21 View Post
    no comment n lng ako hehe.. bka humaba lng usapan, obviously JJ is a big DMAX fan, kanya kanyang fans club lng yan. cguro crowded na masyado sa isuzu cars talk.
    naku sir hindi naman talaga ako dmax fan. hehe.. i didn't start this thread to bash navara.. actually, im more of a navara fan than dmax's.. its just that i want to hear from guys here what are their thoughts about what the true dmax fans said

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Nissan Navara not a capable offroader?