New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I'm closer to buying this unit in a month's time:
    Nissan Super Touring Philippines - 3323005

It's got this SR20DE engine:
    http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/20...69_img1172.jpg

Any issues to expect on the SR20DE engine in general?

I'm particular about:
    Fuel consumption (How bad compared to regular 1600 DOHCs, considering it's a 2000cc)
    Maintenance (Parts? How easy to source, considering it's the stock engine of the Altima SSS plus a few dedicated shops in Banawe)
    Idling problems
    Etc

I have no issues on HP and torque so no need to discuss.

*Of course, this is a used 14-year old used car with a JDM surplus engine that was probably raced and gauged many times (and assumed to be unmodified) by the previous owner(s), but having faith in the Nissan engine build is something I'd wanna see.

Lastly, it's going for P145,000. Is the price just right or doubtful?

I'm eyeing that particular unit together with two 323 Familias:

1996 Mazda 323 Familia GLX "Very Rare Cond" Philippines - 3954512

1997 MAZDASPEED Philippines - 3142451

It really begins to concern me so I could use some opinions from the Tsikoteers, especially from those who've had these cars (particularly SR20DE-powered B14s ).

Since I'm loaning some money, I can't go wrong this time as I did on my previous purchase.

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The only 323 worth getting at this point is the Mazdaspeed. Better ECU, much better suspension, body kit. But then again, that fancy suspension would be on its way out or replaced already, and it's not as powerful or as quick as an SR20 powered Sentra... though it drives nicer in the corners.

The B14 is a good body... robust... the SR20 is a very durable engine, most trouble it would ever give you is a busted ignition coil or a dirty MAF. Idling issues should be no worse than you would see in any electronic engine of that age. I used to pull the throttle assembly off my SR20 to clean it myself. The only question will be the quality of the swap and the wiring...

Yuck... Indigo dash lights. Brother put those on one of our Sentras. Hated them. :hysterical: Only thing I can see that I don't like in the ad is the banged up oil-catch can (or EGR thingamajiggy) on the front of the engine and the sunroof conversion. You'll have to check that area for water stains and rust... most aftermarket sunroofs (that year of Sentra had no sunroof locally) leak, but if it's a JDM sunroof installed properly, should be no trouble.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The price is just about right but I feel you will be better off with a sentra with a stock 1600 engine.

The SR20DE is a fun engine in a Sentra. It will give you anywhere from 5 to 10 km/L in city driving. If everything was done properly, it should last for a while without problems.

But be wary of improper conversions:
    -was the suspension upgraded? SR20DE is much heavier than the orig GA16DE engine. The suspension WILL bottom out if it is still stock.
    -was the brakes upgraded to bigger brakes? or is it still using the stock?
    -what axels is the car using? most stock SR20DE axels are too long to fit the sentra and many do a cut & weld job which may snap in half if pushed too hard.
    -is the SR20DE engine 100%? Or is there leaks from various oil seals?
    -are the gauges like speedo and tach working? Many swaps don't have a working tach.
    -is the engine aligned properly in the engine bay?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Niky and GH!

I have a feeling that I'm better off getting a stock B14 and do the SR20DE swap myself to ensure a reputable shop will do it neatly.

I crossed out that B14 off the shortlist.

Many thanks.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Thanks Niky and GH!

I have a feeling that I'm better off getting a stock B14 and do the SR20DE swap myself to ensure a reputable shop will do it neatly.

I crossed out that B14 off the shortlist.

Many thanks.

Well, buying a Sentra with SR20DE, you have to check it from top to bottom to ensure less headaches. Even the sentra w/ SR20 I bought (weekend toy car) years ago had its various issues and I ended up learning the expensive route. But it was fun as well and I had ample budget to get everything fixed up. But asked if I would do it over again? .... No, I would rather make sure the car was in good shape before buying it the next time around.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There are swaps and there are swaps. I had issues with my SR20 swap, even though I did it myself... wiring and coil issues and lots of axle fitment issues (we took Cefiro axles and re-splined them... stronger and safer than welding axles together, but one still stripped on the drag-strip).

But if you've got the right car, with an SR20 from a US Sentra or a Japanese Lucino, thus no axle issues, and the wiring is done right... no problem. My brother had an SR20-swapped S12 for a few years, and no issues at all with the drivetrain. All that was required was rust removal on the underbody and a new paint job.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the insights.

I've carefully considered them and took (reacquired) a D15B Civic ESi instead.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    SR20de redtop (as per picture) was a good engine for B14....especially if you knew the former owner of the car you like....at least you know all the hidden secrets of this 2nd hand cars...might consider as well the SR20VE NEO VVL engine (same technology as H' V-TEC)...

Insights on SR20DE-powered B14 Sentra