New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it seems that problems with early (early 2000) samples of the ZD30 turbodiesel engine have been well-documented. according to sources in Australia and the UK, some early engines were prone to "blowing up" (pistons going through the block, i think) and had to be replaced completely. there has been a recall in the UK for the faulty engines and, since then, the ZD30 engine has been redesigned. fortunately, there is a way to find out if your engine is faulty or not.

here's the mail from the GU Patrol e-group:

Here's what I've found out from Nissan UK: Early 2000 3.0 TDdi engines were prone to problems due to insufficient lubrication / oil capacity. All 3.0 TDdi's sold in the UK up to October 2000 were subject to a recall (fault code P1110) and the engines were replaced. I have checked with Nissan and the main dealer that serviced my Patrol and my engine has been replaced.

Hope this helps. If anyone has an early 2000 TDdi then I suggest you contact Nissan and ask them where you stand.

Here's a quick way for you to check whether you have the dodgy
    engine: The oil capacity of the newer (improved ) engine is
    different to the troublesome one. The oil capacity in your Owners
    Manual will give you the information you need. The problem engine had an oil capacity of 5.7 Litres with oil filter (5.2 litres
    without filter). The newer (improved engine) has a capacity of 8.2
    litres (7.7 without filter) Check in your manual - mine has a
    sticker with the new capacities (done when they replaced the engine). If you have the lower oil capacity you have the engine which was recalled and replaced in the UK.
    so it seems that this particular problem does not apply to Philippine-spec GU Patrols since very, very few Patrols were available in 2000.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If i'm not mistaken, most of the new Patrols came out after '01 already... ma-tanong nga sa casa.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    right... i have a friend who had a GU Patrol in 2000 though (baka gray market yun)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ayos! mine has an oil capacity of 8.2 liters!!!!
    Signature

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kinabahan ka Boybi no? Its good to see the problem's already rectified in the local release

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    onga e, ngayon pwde ko na ihataw!
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Bakit walang oil capacity sa manual ko?

teka bakit wala akong manual?

Oonga pala, wala akong pambili ng patrol.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Rod & Bubbles
    Bakit walang oil capacity sa manual ko?

teka bakit wala akong manual?

Oonga pala, wala akong pambili ng patrol.
    rod
    may manual yan.
    nasa akin lang.
    tsaka hindi na gumagamit ng langis unit mo.
    naka "motor-up" na kasi yan.
    hehehe

info for GU Patrol ZD30 owners re: defective engines