New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    One of the causes of erratic idling is that the "base idle" wasn't set correctly. To do so, here's a step-by-step for you DIY folks.

How to set Base Idle

1. Start the engine and run it at about 2,000 RPM for about 2 minutes under no load.
    2. Rev engine two or three times under no load, then run engine at idle (dont worry if the idle is too high or too low. if idle is way too low that you think the engine will die, just tap the gas pedal lightly) for about 1 minute.
    3. Turn off engine and disconnect TPS harness connector.
    4. Start engine.
    5. Rev engine (2000 – 3000 rpm) 2 or 3 times under no load, then run engine at idle.
    6. Check idle.
    7. Adjust the idle to ~700 RPM (for manual trans) or ~750 RPM (for A/T trans) using the idle adjustment screw.
    8. Stop engine and reconnect TPS harness connector.
    9. Restart engine.
    10. Base idle should be set.

Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi,

I have a 99 Sentra LEC and im having idling problems recently. Often when it's newly running, idling is set at a high level and there's no telling when it will go back to its correct level.
    I think this procedure might work for my car. Which idling dial are you refering to? My engine has 2 idling screws, 1 being a plastic dial, and the other a metal screw a few inches away from the 1st one.

Also which one is the TPS harness connector?

Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    One of the causes of erratic idling is that the "base idle" wasn't set correctly. To do so, here's a step-by-step for you DIY folks.

How to set Base Idle

1. Start the engine and run it at about 2,000 RPM for about 2 minutes under no load.
    2. Rev engine two or three times under no load, then run engine at idle (dont worry if the idle is too high or too low. if idle is way too low that you think the engine will die, just tap the gas pedal lightly) for about 1 minute.
    3. Turn off engine and disconnect TPS harness connector.
    4. Start engine.
    5. Rev engine (2000 – 3000 rpm) 2 or 3 times under no load, then run engine at idle.
    6. Check idle.
    7. Adjust the idle to ~700 RPM (for manual trans) or ~750 RPM (for A/T trans) using the idle adjustment screw.
    8. Stop engine and reconnect TPS harness connector.
    9. Restart engine.
    10. Base idle should be set.

Cheers!
    Sir pang EFI ba to? or Carb?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ops, forgot to mention...

The procedure above is for EFI. I dont know how to do it with carb-type. Sorry.

Cheers!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Sir,

You dont have to disconnect the fans, do you?

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Ops, forgot to mention...

The procedure above is for EFI. I dont know how to do it with carb-type. Sorry.

Cheers!
    Sir san naka locate ang idle adjustment ng silver top sr20de?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    *kurby: Nope you dont need to.

*poknet: If I'm not mistaken, it should be part of the throttle body. Left side if you're facing the engine/car.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    sa sentra '03 DS san kaya adjustment.. if you don't mind-- what is TPS?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hy-n-dry View Post
    sa sentra '03 DS san kaya adjustment.. if you don't mind-- what is TPS?
    TPS is Throttle position sensor.

How to Set Base Idle