New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I'm a newbie and recently jobless. I bought an ex saloon 93 mdl kasi it was very fresh and strong a/c (of course) ganda tindig, stock & malinis and "pantawid" for my family's carless situation, till I get a job.

The thing is it runs 7 km/liter. A lot of people who owned a series 2 say lakas daw engine for a 1.4 dahil 16 V and twin cam. That's why lumalagok daw talaga. Any truth and remedy to this (other than changing the engine and the car pls.)?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    7 km/l is either terrible or actually pretty good, depending on your situation and route.

1. Where do you drive? City driving is usually 2-4 km/l worse than highway driving.

2. Rush hour traffic? Subtract another 2 km/l.

3. How long are your trips? For really short trips, of 5 kilometers or less, subtract another 1-2 km/l because you're running on a cold engine.

If you're in the city and drive in rush-hour traffic, 7 km/l is mighty decent.

-------

There are several in-car factors that affect your consumption.

1. Under-inflated tires are the simplest. Simply running at 30-32 psi instead of 26 or so will save you a bit at the pumps.

2. Using less aircon will save you even more. By running with your thermostat set to a more moderate temperature, you save gas in traffic every time the compressor shuts off. (I hardly use any AC at night).

3. Maintain your car. Clean your carburator (for carb vehicles) and clean your air filter regularly. Clean your MAF sensor, too, if your Sentra is EFI. Dirty carbs and MAFs play a big role in poor Sentra fuel consumption.

Besides that, do all the regular stuff... check wheel bearings, CV Joints, belts, aircon and alternator pulley condition, spark plugs, etc, etc, etc.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks niky for your helpful inputs, I'm from better living pnq. and normally ply ssh to makati and back. My company car was a corolla altis which was truly fuel efficient, Prior to that I owned a lovealife xe which ran 10-11/km with those plying ssh-makati-manila and back..

I was expecting at least 8-9km/liter consumption by the age of the car but alas, after running it with compression tests (which passed), tune up and carb cleaning, improvements were hair-thin.

I'm thinking of getting an efi type of segunda mano but i'm quite scared with the durability of it's computers.

cheers.

help! ex 93 gas guzzler