New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gud day mga Gurus, any idea on how much a surplus engine costs nowadays?
    Im restoring an '89 Maxima and im planning to have the engine swapped soon.
    Im just looking for an engine that'll have the same mileage but increased BHP above what an IHE can provide.
    Salamat po!!!

maxima.. heheh aba dumadami na atang maxima owners na active na dats good!

heres your choices--

stock choices-(none to minimal underpinning changes)
    SR18DE,SR20DE

if you want a good horsepower--SR20DET...but i recomend this you you are willing to change 80% ng underchassis, like strenghtening the chassis, adding a bigger brakes,etc...

CA18DET is the engine of auster(maxima) Xt

CA20E-USDM Stanza(maxima) ening, has dual ignition system just like the iDSi of the jazz/city(kaya di una talaga ang honda sa ganung design)

CA20S-eto ang stock engine natin, 2.0 carburated 8v engine.

rare choices (if you want your maxima to get that "wow factor" when they open the bonnet):
    SR20VE w/ 6MT from a 1999-2000 primera
    SR20VET converted to 2wd MT (all SR20VET are from XtrailGT, part-time 4wd, 4-AT)

as for the prices, for me ha, if you have a very limited budget, and just want your maxima to have a new engine w/o much change in the underpinnings, get either a SR18DE or SR20DE. pwede na yun..110(sr18), 130-145(sr20) stock hp..and way na masmatipid than the CA20S that camewith our car...

kung SR20DET ilalagay mo, basta dont forget to upgrade to bigger brakes, strengtheing the chassis.. 220HP is a giant leap from 95(stock)HP, and our car is 20 years old na!

eto list ng nissan engines and nissan stanza/bluebird...take note that our maxima here and my auster are the same with those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nissan_engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Stanza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Bluebird

local engine parts dealer na nakabookmark sa sulit.com.p acct ko
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; March 21st, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thank you bossing.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Mga bro, I'm a proud owner of a Maxima (Stanza in US) since inheriting it from my Dad in 1994. Ever since, never did I thought of giving it up. I've a Toyota then currently a Honda, pero I'm always wanting to drive it kahit once a week. Medyo matakaw nga lang sa gas.

That's quite an info Alwayz Yummy bro. I remember back in the late 90's, I chanced upon one CA20E-USDM engine. Tama ka, dual ignition nga ito, 8 ang spark plugs. Nakakainis kasi bakit hindi ko pa binili nuon, and the asking pice is just 10k. Anyway, the orig CA20S is still under my hood. Nevertheless, I'm quite satisfied with its performance.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Okay na po ba yung 38K for Nissan Series 3 Engine Japan Surplus?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cuervo View Post
    Okay na po ba yung 38K for Nissan Series 3 Engine Japan Surplus?
    what is included in the price? engine, wiring loom, ecu and labor?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    what is included in the price? engine, wiring loom, ecu and labor?
    Engine pa lang daw yun eh, di pa kasama transmission pero kasama na ECU, Japan surplus daw, nissan din pero japan made kaya kung masira man daw ang ecu or other parts madame surplus na pwede ipamalit kasi nga japan.

yung current car kasi nalubog, so upon checking (dahil na stock sya ng almost 3 weeks ng hindi natanggal yung ecu) sira na yung ecu saka yung distributor...best option is to have daw the new engine kesa bumili kame pa-isa-isa ng pyesa, nagkakaubusan na and actually wala na yung ecu surplus for series 3 super saloon 96 model...

all in all 38k makina, 6.5k labor, iba pa yung electrical....so mga 50k daw abutin more or less...

hirap na kame magdecide, kasama kasi kame sa mga nalubog (our 1st floor sagad sa ceiling) so ang car na yun nalubog sa water ng 3 days...

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....salamat po!!!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For the Maxima, the best bet would be an SR20DE/SR18DE swap IMO. Not sure about costs though. Your fuel mileage will also depend on the condition of the engine and the swap. A lot of SR20 Altima m/t owners i know get around 8-9km/L in a mix driving with a prudent right foot.

Engine Swap Prices Anyone?