New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gudday Guys!

I had this Cefiro 2002 A33 Body the question is pagdating po ng 3rd shifting eh ayaw po pumasok agad by the way its automatic tranny..Should i change the atf?if nkapagpalit nko then ganun parin po anu kaya ang problem nun?im bothered kasi bought it 2 weeks ago sabi ng owner ganun daw talga kelangn daw ng mahabang daan para magshift ganun po ba talga?Newbie kc ako for this Cefiro A33 i need your opinions asap po para magwan ko na po ng paraan.. Tnx Tsikoteers!!!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakin18 View Post
    Gudday Guys!

I had this Cefiro 2002 A33 Body the question is pagdating po ng 3rd shifting eh ayaw po pumasok agad by the way its automatic tranny..Should i change the atf?if nkapagpalit nko then ganun parin po anu kaya ang problem nun?im bothered kasi bought it 2 weeks ago sabi ng owner ganun daw talga kelangn daw ng mahabang daan para magshift ganun po ba talga?Newbie kc ako for this Cefiro A33 i need your opinions asap po para magwan ko na po ng paraan.. Tnx Tsikoteers!!!
    I'm no expert, but, may I ask if you know when you last had the ATF changed? It may be due for replacement as it's already 9 years old.
    Speaking from experience, my Sportage (diesel AT) performance really improved (smoother gear changes, more responsive) when its ATF was changed. It's worth a try, and the new ATF can only do good to your Cefiro's tranny.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    3rd will engage at around 40-50 kph on acceleration.

if it doesn't, at nasa 80 ka na feeling mo naka 2nd pa din, do try to change your ATF.

you may also want to try having your air cleaner cleaned by blasting it with compressed air.

check also the switch right side ng gear lever, it should be set to AUTO, and not SPORT (S). you can also select WINTER (*) because this setting bypasses 1st completely and starts at 2nd (i think).

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Question na din guys.. Timing Chain ba o Timing Belt ang A33 2002? Tnx!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Check if your ATF "smells" burnt - usual telltale sign of a busted tranny.

Try first an ATF change - least expensive remedy. If you prefer, you may also opt to have the transmission filter cleaned. The oil pan would be removed in this case. When I had mine cleaned a year back, service cost P450 at Servitek. ATF - use DEXRON III rated. You'll normally use between 3.5 - 4 liters. Caltex' Texamatic suffices for me.

I would assume your A33 has the VQ20 engine since they didn't offer the VQ30 in 2002 yet (unless you've had an engine swap!), so Volts' shift ranges are correct. In addition, 4th should come in around 70 kph.

VQ20 and VQ30 Cefiros use timing chains.

Cheers!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    Check if your ATF "smells" burnt - usual telltale sign of a busted tranny.

Try first an ATF change - least expensive remedy. If you prefer, you may also opt to have the transmission filter cleaned. The oil pan would be removed in this case. When I had mine cleaned a year back, service cost P450 at Servitek. ATF - use DEXRON III rated. You'll normally use between 3.5 - 4 liters. Caltex' Texamatic suffices for me.

I would assume your A33 has the VQ20 engine since they didn't offer the VQ30 in 2002 yet (unless you've had an engine swap!), so Volts' shift ranges are correct. In addition, 4th should come in around 70 kph.

VQ20 and VQ30 Cefiros use timing chains.

Cheers!
    Sir, as far as I know my engine is original as the first owner told me.. I had my ATF changed last week and now it's shifting ok but I had to drive it on a freeway to know better and thank you sir for the information regarding the timing chain.. Godbless!!!

Cefiro 02' A33 Transmission