New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    No prob with the aux fans - they turn on at just below the halfway mark if the the a/c is off.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ok. try your coolant reservoir. a leak or crack near the base is difficult to detect if you are looking from above. better if you remove it from the car. a crack at the base is impossible to detect without removing it.
    but i still suspect the fans. because your symptoms are exactly like mine. btw, mine were initially intermittents. i had to wait for them to become more permanent for me to detect it.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Cool, will check them chief. Thanks much!

Try removing the thermostat and immerse it in a pan with water above the temp indicated on it (on the stove). If it opens up as it reaches the temp, then rule out the thermostat. If it remains closed, then it's already stuck and needs to be replaced.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Sorry, double post...
    Last edited by corbon44; August 25th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Took out the thermostat and ran it for a day - didn't overheat anymore. Will replace it over the weekend. Thanks!

One more thing - I saw three waterplugs behind the engine right under the intake manifold where bypass hoses seemed to be previously attached. They seem to connect to three plugs on the firewall. Should these be live or are these really plugged on the EX Saloon?

Also, I blew an existing bypass hose (it's the one from near the thermostat housing to the cylinder block). Would this simply mean my hoses are wearing out normally or pressure is building up abnormally and I need to solve whatever's causing it?

Thanks again!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by corbon44 View Post
    Took out the thermostat and ran it for a day - didn't overheat anymore. Will replace it over the weekend. Thanks!

One more thing - I saw three waterplugs behind the engine right under the intake manifold where bypass hoses seemed to be previously attached. They seem to connect to three plugs on the firewall. Should these be live or are these really plugged on the EX Saloon?
    Normally it should be live if you want to enable the heater feature of your A/C.

Also, I blew an existing bypass hose (it's the one from near the thermostat housing to the cylinder block). Would this simply mean my hoses are wearing out normally or pressure is building up abnormally and I need to solve whatever's causing it?
    Hoses normally wear out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
98 Sentra EX Saloon Overheat