New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    While shopping around for a Nissan vehicle, noticed that some dealers offer the standard 3 year warranty, but other offer a 5 year extended warrant. After a little research, found this article:

Team Nissan launches 5-year warranty for its dealers | Motoring, Business Features, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

It would seem that some dealers offer just 3 years, while some offer 5.

Can someone confirm this? Yes, I know warranties are often overrated, used as marketing tools, and limited in scope, but still...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    while it might seem advantageous to the consumer, in truth (to me at least), i find these extended warranties to be disadvantageous in the long run.
    cars today are made so well, they don't break down enough as to warrant those extended warranties.
    on the other hand, i find them as effective handcufffs to the car owner. as i already said in previous threads, "i celebrated the expiration of my car's 3-yr warranty period, by having my oil change done in the neighborhood gas station.." there was no waiting period there when i arrived at 8 am, the cost was only 1200 kesos (as against at least 3K in the casa), and i was there beside the car and the servicemen all the time, watching them like a hawk.. it took 30 minutes, as against half a day in the casa..

now who would benefit from these extended warranties? people who know absolutely nothing about cars.. people with drivers and whose time is money..

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Without necessarily disagreeing with your take (I definitely agree that service outside the dealership is cheaper, more convenient, being able to watch the service being done, etc.). New cars nowadays are more reliable than ever, true, but they are also a lot more complicated than cars just 10 or 20 years old. I personally believe extended warranties still have their advantages and uses, but at the end of the day, its for the buyer to decide. As for warranties:

1. It indicates the confidence of the manufacturer in their finished product...so if they're willing to guarantee their products for five years, it means they're highly confident that the likelihood of them breaking down within the warranty period is very small;
    2. Most vehicle components nowadays are replaced as whole units, and not repairable (at least not easily). A warranty could at least alleviate worries about replacing entire assemblies if necessary without spending potentially tens, or even hundreds of thousands. Just browsing through this forum indicates a lot of horror stories about potentially expensive fixes requiring expensive replacement assemblies;
    3. Sadly, the number of locally assembled cars have dwindled over the years, so more often than not, spare parts have to be imported. A warranty also alleviates concerns over the availability of spare parts which are likely not available locally...or at least the effort in sourcing difficult to find and expensive parts.
    4. Casa maintained cars are usually easier to sell/command slightly higher prices in the second hand market, especially if the service records are complete.

The good thing about car warranties, whether 3 or 5 years, is that it is entirely up to the purchaser to decide if he or she wants to abide by it or not. No one is obligated to always bring their cars to the dealerships for service, they can always bring it to 3rd party for maintenance, even from the day it was delivered. At least, the option is there, and the choice is up to the buyer. You can give it up anytime.

As a automobile enthusiast, as everyone here likely is, I certainly enjoy being at the forefront of ensuring the reliability of my car, whether it be having it serviced, searching for replacement parts, looking for good deals, having it installed in front of you...I know the feeling.

But like you said, time is money. Nowadays most people, by choice or by necessity, simply don't have the time to micromanage the maintenance of their pride and joy. I'm not rich or anything close, far from it actually. But money can be earned again, you can't get back time.

Thanks for the input man. :-)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ronallandottk View Post
    Without necessarily disagreeing with your take (I definitely agree that service outside the dealership is cheaper, more convenient, being able to watch the service being done, etc.). New cars nowadays are more reliable than ever, true, but they are also a lot more complicated than cars just 10 or 20 years old. I personally believe extended warranties still have their advantages and uses, but at the end of the day, its for the buyer to decide. As for warranties:

1. It indicates the confidence of the manufacturer in their finished product...so if they're willing to guarantee their products for five years, it means they're highly confident that the likelihood of them breaking down within the warranty period is very small;
    2. Most vehicle components nowadays are replaced as whole units, and not repairable (at least not easily). A warranty could at least alleviate worries about replacing entire assemblies if necessary without spending potentially tens, or even hundreds of thousands. Just browsing through this forum indicates a lot of horror stories about potentially expensive fixes requiring expensive replacement assemblies;
    3. Sadly, the number of locally assembled cars have dwindled over the years, so more often than not, spare parts have to be imported. A warranty also alleviates concerns over the availability of spare parts which are likely not available locally...or at least the effort in sourcing difficult to find and expensive parts.
    4. Casa maintained cars are usually easier to sell/command slightly higher prices in the second hand market, especially if the service records are complete.

The good thing about car warranties, whether 3 or 5 years, is that it is entirely up to the purchaser to decide if he or she wants to abide by it or not. No one is obligated to always bring their cars to the dealerships for service, they can always bring it to 3rd party for maintenance, even from the day it was delivered. At least, the option is there, and the choice is up to the buyer. You can give it up anytime.

As a automobile enthusiast, as everyone here likely is, I certainly enjoy being at the forefront of ensuring the reliability of my car, whether it be having it serviced, searching for replacement parts, looking for good deals, having it installed in front of you...I know the feeling.

But like you said, time is money. Nowadays most people, by choice or by necessity, simply don't have the time to micromanage the maintenance of their pride and joy. I'm not rich or anything close, far from it actually. But money can be earned again, you can't get back time.

Thanks for the input man. :-)
    This is true..

5. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Standard is 3yrs warranty but some car brands give up to 5yrs like hyundai. But Nissan only gives 3yrs warranty as standard but maybe some dealerships on their own might have add'l 2yrs but i haven't heard any offering this.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Hyundai's 5 year warranty is sort of a myth.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Hyundai's 5 year warranty is sort of a myth.
    Probably here. But in the states a lot more Americans are buying Korean cars. Partly cheap and partly because of their 5 year/100,000 miles warranty. And I think from what I understand labor for service is also free.