New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Had an odd issue this morning with my rpm gauge on the dash.

This morning when i drove it off, i noticed it wasn't dnt registering/counting idling rpm. So on idle, full stop, neutral. The dash showed 0 rpm.

When accelerating to shift "up" my rpm would normallu be around 2k rpm. And it wss just showing 1k rpm on the dash. So i am approximating the 'missing rpms not counted' is idling rpm.

After i parked and restarted, rpm gauge was behaving normally again. But during the whole 'ordeal' car was just behaving normally mechanically.

Owned the car for 7 years, only 36,700kms in the odo.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post

This morning when i drove it off, i noticed it wasn't dnt registering/counting idling rpm. So on idle, full stop, neutral. The dash showed 0 rpm.

When accelerating to shift "up" my rpm would normallu be around 2k rpm. And it wss just showing 1k rpm on the dash. So i am approximating the 'missing rpms not counted' is idling rpm.

After i parked and restarted, rpm gauge was behaving normally again. But during the whole 'ordeal' car was just behaving normally mechanically.

Wew, also encountered this very same problem with our 4-year old nv350 urvan.

Had to start it twice para lang maging normal yung rpm gauge.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012

did you change your battery recently?

sell na I wonder ano resale value nyan.

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    did you change your battery recently?

sell na I wonder ano resale value nyan.
    Nope. Battery is still not showing any sign of a hard start at present. But am monitoring it as im the primary driver of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Wew, also encountered this very same problem with our 4-year old nv350 urvan.

Had to start it twice para lang maging normal yung rpm gauge.
    Is it a cause for concern? Related to the ecu/computer box by any chance? Find it weird that only the idling rpm was not included when measuring in the gauge.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Nope. Battery is still not showing any sign of a hard start at present. But am monitoring it as im the primary driver of the vehicle.

Is it a cause for concern? Related to the ecu/computer box by any chance? Find it weird that only the idling rpm was not included when measuring in the gauge.
    Hindi naman siguro. Baka sa cable or wire lang yan kasi wala namang signs na affected yung engine tsaka working din naman ibang gauges eh.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    many years ago, i had a similar strange event, in my 1997 sentra ex (efi na).

one night, as i was driving, all the lights went off.
    the engine continued running fine, however.
    i did not know what the instruments were showing, as it was dark.
    after about 20-30 seconds, everything went back to normal.
    it did not occur again. i sold her some years later.

then we hear of the above kuwentos.
    is the nissan ECU haunted?
    Last edited by dr. d; July 27th, 2021 at 08:38 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    many years ago, i had a similar strange event, in my 1997 sentra ex (efi na).

one night, as i was driving, all the lights went off.
    the engine continued running fine, however.
    i did not know what the instruments were showing, as it was dark.
    after about 20-30 seconds, everything went back to normal.
    it did not occur again. i sold her some years later.

then we hear of the above kuwentos.
    is the nissan ECU haunted?
    It is really odd. Never happened to any of our cars in the family ever. I expected if the rpm gauge is faulty, then it just swings wildly or just stays at 0. But this is ultra specific where the idling rpm is not being counted/registering with the gauge.

I'll have to email Nissan I guess to inquire what it could possibly be and if it something to be majorly concerned about as a starting symptom that can "progress".

I expected if it was wire damage (say rats gnawed it) then there would be no signal to the rpm gauge after repeated restarts.

So, assuming it is an issue somewhere in the box, could it be insects having "died" or living inside? Say ants? hehe!

That is my thought process because I had a wireless keyboard before that was having an intermittent input issue that progress till it just died completely and did not work even with new batteries. It never fell hard on the floor so it wasn't physical "trauma".

After ordering the replacement keyboard online I was wondering why the table it was on had some ants when there was no food anywhere. I killed them. Came back after 15 mins and there were again ants. I suspected I had an ant problem inside the keyboard. They just decided to live inside the keyboard but there was no crumbs inside and i even clean it with alcohol from time to time. But apparently the were living further down the keycaps on the logic board.

I set the keyboard down on the ceramic tile floor. Took out the Bayer Chalk Ant and Roach Killer and drew a chalk perimeter around the keyboard along the grout so there would be no escape.

I let it stay on the floor overnight. Next day, all the ants were dead on the chalk. Tried to put in batteries and the keyboard worked again. I kept it as a backup in case it happened again to my new keyboard, which it never did again. It was just one of those odd occurences. It was a literal Hail Mary move to decide to try and kill the ants because I really expected the keyboard to still not work after. I just wanted vengeance. hehe!

I'm suspecting possible ants on some logic board or some small insects that could have cause the "intermittent" signal. Suspect, not sure. Will have to ask Nissan but I won't bring it to casa for now.

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    Happened again this morning. During a COLD START. So that might be one requirement. Another is more than 2 days of the car being unused/not started.

If it happens again, I'll have to bring it straight to Nissan for them to scan the vehicle. They basically have no idea what could be the cause or if it is a major concern or not.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Happened again this morning. During a COLD START. So that might be one requirement. Another is more than 2 days of the car being unused/not started.

If it happens again, I'll have to bring it straight to Nissan for them to scan the vehicle. They basically have no idea what could be the cause or if it is a major concern or not.
    it appears to be temperature-dependent.
    dapat ay cold.
    to me, that suggests loose connection. sending unit... receiving unit... cable and clips... highs.
    casa will probably have to keep it overnight, to achieve the cold temp required to trigger the issue.
    good luck.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008

if you have OBD scanner, you can verify if there is "rpm" readout from the ECU.. if there is, the gauge might be faulty or some condensation got to it causing the faulty reading

if no rpm readout from the scanner, then possible issue with the rpm sensor.. (located in the flywheel or crank shaft)

2013 Nissan Sentra aka Sylphy