New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    i been trying to get inputs on how I will present my ride, or make a little mod or two, but im afraid that what im planning to do might be categorized as RICE....

thus, if may i ask, what does RICE mean(s)? (its true meaning in strict sense, i mean.. )

is rice means how someone will mock and laugh someone else's way to mod their car ?

stated differently, in order for you (or your car) not to be categorized as RICE, do you need to please someone, or anyone for that matter, on the choice how to do it or the taste how they wanted to express their likings before you effect changes or additions to your car?

If not, can anyone please give the basic distinction of RICE and not RICE...

regards.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    For me,

Ricey = Baduy

Not Ricey = Not Baduy

Ex.

modded Civic SiR with SPOON logo -> NOT Baduy

Any Nissan with SPOON logo -> Baduy

Stock CR-V with SPOON logo -> Baduy

Underchassis neon lights on stock cars -> Baduy

Kia Pride with big-ass rear spoiler -> Baduy

Lancer Evo with big-ass rear spoiler -> Not Baduy

---

Also, kindly note that there is no "strict" term of "rice". It differs from person to person.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; April 19th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phezthie View Post
    i been trying to get inputs on how I will present my ride, or make a little mod or two, but im afraid that what im planning to do might be categorized as RICE....
    Just don't overdo it, and don't put decals not meant for your car ... and to hell with what other people say, most of them are just loudmouths anyway.

thus, if may i ask, what does RICE mean(s)? (its true meaning in strict sense, i mean.. )
    RICE = decals and modifications that pretend to give performance gains

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    The term 'ricey' is a reference to rice as we know it. This is because rice is associated with the Japanese and so this derogatory slang, along with rice rocket, has been used to describe modified Japanese cars, particularly the heavily modified ones. There's a look to them that's undeniably Japanese.

Actual performance and baduyness are completely beside the point. It's the look. Nobody will check your engine and brakes before they declare for themselves that your ride is ricey.

If you're worried that your car will end up ricey, don't do any mods just yet. Develop your taste for mods first. Observe and study for a couple of months before trying to modify your ride. After such time, you might even like the ricey look. Who knows?

I personally don't like the look but that's just me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Hello Phezthie,

May I ask first what kind of car you will modify? Ok, just focus on performance modification and keep the aesthetics/exterior mods simple, a nice paint job (with a nice color of course) and a nice set of rims and a good drop clearance on your car is enough, Just always keep the skin of your ride clean and ***y. Do not put any stickers or emblems, avoid chromes (esp. Chrome wheels that sucks!), say no to lambo doors and heavy wing spoilers

RICE are those who show but no GO.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mods I prefer are:

-performance oriented that also can enhance "looks".
    -subtle exterior mods that might look as if "factory spec" or could be on the "factory" options list.

example:
    good = real carbonfiber aftermarket hood/trunk
    rice = fake-carbonfiber sticker-wrapped stock hood/trunk
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 20th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    many thanks for your quick replies... very much appreciated...

actually, i'm more on "stock" guy as i prefer and restore my cars in its original state as much as possible.

i have 3 old honda cars. 96 civic vti, 95 accord exi and 2000 crv... all of them are in their stocks appearance and condition, but with the exception of one.

my civic, which was the last one i purchased in lieu of my sentra purposely for "FC tipid mode", was painted black (from maroon) and have its bumper shaved by its previous owner. too, it has smoked HL. I have already done some restorations (engine, electrical, underchassis, including bolts and plastic clips etc.. ) except the two i mentioned... the bumper and the HL... as i think it looks neat and simple.

but after reading that RICE thread, (and honestly i was not able to comprehend the paramount distinction of RICE or otherwise) i was thinking that i should be guilty too, or should i be not, for having a shaved bumper and smoked HL for mynot too powerful vti...

indeed, im am now entertaining to drop my "stock" mentality after reading some suggestions on I/H/E in other forums and do some mod specially to gain more power for my civic but, still, i am having a second thought that what im planning to do could be categorized as ricey...

accordingly, it would be my pleasure if anyone would direct me to the right path... regards and cheers to all..

phezthie

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    many thanks for your quick replies... very much appreciated...

actually, i'm more on "stock" guy as i prefer and restore my cars in its original state as much as possible.

i have 3 old honda cars. 96 civic vti, 95 accord exi and 2000 crv... all of them are in their stocks appearance and condition, but with the exception of one.

my civic, which was the last one i purchased in lieu of my sentra purposely for "FC tipid mode", was painted black (from maroon) and have its bumper shaved by its previous owner. too, it has smoked HL. I have already done some restorations (engine, electrical, underchassis, including bolts and plastic clips etc.. ) except the two i mentioned... the bumper and the HL... as i think it looks neat and simple.

but after reading that RICE thread, (and honestly i was not able to comprehend the paramount distinction of RICE or otherwise) i was thinking that i should be guilty too, or should i be not, for having a shaved bumper and smoked HL for mynot too powerful vti...

indeed, im am now entertaining to drop my "stock" mentality after reading some suggestions on I/H/E in other forums and do some mod specially to gain more power for my civic but, still, i am having a second thought that what im planning to do could be categorized as ricey...

accordingly, it would be my pleasure if anyone would direct me to the right path... regards and cheers to all..

phezthie
    Go and buy DEPO headlights and replace the smoked ones. I myself is not a fan of smoked HL's on Hondas. Well depends really on the car.

Plus, having a shaved bumper ( no mouldings ) is perfectly fine.

There are things, particular things that you should avoid ...

1. Having a big-ass wing. Though ductails look nice.
    2. Neons ( ohplease, don't )
    3. Graphixxxxx. ( vinyls )
    4. Fake CF sticker

Well, that's about it. Refrain from putting them and your car will be perfectly fine.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    thanks renzo for the heads up on smoked HL... i will as you suggested...

but, for confirmation purposes, is smoked HL for a civic vti a ricey, or not necessarily?

thanks renzo for the heads up on smoked HL... i will as you suggested...

but, for confirmation purposes, is smoked HL for a civic vti a ricey, or not necessarily?

not necessarily ugly but if you put projector HIDs, it's bad ass! PM garyq and/or check this link: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67675

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what mods do you think will be FTW and not ricey?