New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Aside from aesthetics, nakakatulong ba ito sa performance ng car?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Rear spoilers serve more than one purpose. Spoilers can create downforce, to keep the car's rear end stuck to the ground. (yes, this is still important on FWD cars) They can counter lift, to keep the car stable at speed, or they can clean up the aerodynamics at the rear, minimizing turbulence and making for less drag and better fuel economy. The rear spoilers on the Prius C and Mirage GLS (not the optional GLX spoiler) have this function.

Most old cosmetic spoilers had little function, and were designed merely to have the least negative effect on drag. Newer "stock" spoilers typically help decrease drag. Very few are designed for actual downforce, except on sports cars like the Porsche 911.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Seeing many cars with large aftermarket spoilers, I had the impression that the spoiler would rather increase drag and negatively affect traction in the front wheels. Thanks for the explanation.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ?

Hehe. c/o Speedlab

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    nakikita ko ang camry na yan

baligtad yung wing

the triangles should be pointing forward

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Baligtad nga.

But it shouldnt be there in the first place.

Hehe

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yeah

baka galing sa previous car yung wing

sayang kung di gamitin

hehe

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ^ Galing nga sa previous car niya... kaya nga iniwan na siya.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolivar View Post
    Seeing many cars with large aftermarket spoilers, I had the impression that the spoiler would rather increase drag and negatively affect traction in the front wheels. Thanks for the explanation.
    Even if it did create downforce, it would not remove traction from the front wheels.

If your car has 600 kg over the front and 400 kg over the rear end, and you add a spoiler for downforce, say, 100 kg of downforce... at the rear, you would still have 600 kg of weight over the front, but you would now have a virtual 500 kg of weight at the rear at speed.

Of course, to get such large levels of downforce, you need a big-arse wing... and you would typically want it to be high up and in clear air.

Most people put spoilers on without considering where and why they need downforce. If you want really functional spoilers for a front-driver, this is the ultimate:

But really, though, effective aero for a front-driver requires a front splitter or under tray for balance.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Hello guys! NEW to the Forum and Im looking forward to seeing what's going on here in the Philippines as far the automotive scene goes. I have experience in quite a few areas of questions being posted. I will do my best in being helpful as I can.

Here it goes.

As far a a rear wing on a front drive cars goes...it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In racing, rear wings with end plates help FRT drive cars in getting around corners. Different rules will govern how wide, lenght, height, & end plate diminsions. refer to the sanctioning rule books depending an class and type of cars you will using.

On the street, USELESS. You are not hiting close to the speeds (presumably) in order for the WING to have any type of effectiveness. Oh!!!! they get peoples attention of thinking the car is fast.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast