New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    So is that to say that valvetrain layout really has something to do with fuel economy?
    Less moving bits = less fuel consumption. But it also means lower power delivery. I want to see the 4J11 dyno chart.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    So is that to say that valvetrain layout really has something to do with fuel economy?
    The extra valvetrain parts equate to higher frictional losses, but the effect is not that big. Differences in fuel economy between vehicles is usually more down to the specific tuning of the engine, valve-timing, camshaft profiles and engine tuning. DOHC engines will sometimes not be as fuel-efficient as SOHC engines by the same manufacturer, but mostly because the DOHC engines are specifically designed for more performance (case in point: Honda K20 versus R20), sacrificing fuel economy in the process.

And yet the Mazda SkyActiv, which seems to be more efficient still than the R20, is DOHC.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Nope. This Outlander has the most cramped 3rd row I've ever been in. With the 2nd row in its default position, I couldn't fit in the 3rd row. Had to move it forward just so I could have my feet planted, though my knees were still rubbing against the 2nd row seats.

I thought the 2nd gen CR-V had the worst 3rd row ever, I was wrong.
    IMO, if it will come here with the 3rd row, i think this Outlander will hit 2 birds with 1 stone- Of course, as the successor to the Previous Outlander and as an indirect successor to the Space Wagon/Grandis even if it doesn't match its interior/exterior dimensions.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Is this officially out? I just saw a Black Outlander in EDSA and it looks new (with conduction sticker pa pero may plate number na). The plate number also starts with "T". Wasn't able to get a picture kasi mag isa lang ako sa kotse kanina.

So I'm not sure if its the new one or a new older version of the outlander (maybe they still have some stock of the old one??)

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1110 View Post
    Is this officially out? I just saw a Black Outlander in EDSA and it looks new (with conduction sticker pa pero may plate number na). The plate number also starts with "T". Wasn't able to get a picture kasi mag isa lang ako sa kotse kanina.

So I'm not sure if its the new one or a new older version of the outlander (maybe they still have some stock of the old one??)
    maybe. kasi hindi pa out ang new outlander e. mauuna pa ang mirage

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1110 View Post

Did it look like this?

If yes, that is the 2nd gen Outlander.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    From a brief look, apparently Mitsubishi claims the 4J11 is lighter and more fuel efficient than the 4B11... being SOHC instead of DOHC. I wonder if the ASX and Lancer will switch to the 4J11 as well, if that's the case. The 4B11 is getting on a bit in years... we first got it locally with the Dodge Caliber several years ago, already... perhaps going SOHC, like Honda is doing with the R18 and R20... may be the ticket to higher fuel economy for Mitsubishi.
    Old MIVEC being used in 4B11 has to be DOHC in order to have a variable valve offset. Each camshaft has a hydraulic operated special hub capable of advancing and delaying the valve opening and closing.

The New MIVEC adopted by 4J11 makes the DOHC obsolete (within the Mitsubishi technology). The new MIVEC still uses a special hub at the end of the cam but one piece only thus increasing the reliability.
    The new MIVEC is now Variable Valve Lift coupled with the old Variable Valve Opening Timing.

The new MIVEC should be named as:
    VV-Li VVOT.. heheh

The link below has photo of the new MIVEC valvetrain. You can still see the special hub (with sprocket) from the previous technology. You will easily notice the E-motor driven shaft that creates a variable valve lift.

»°É©¡Ö¿·MIVEC¡×¤¬Í½´¶¤µ¤»¤ë¡¢DOHCÁ´À¹´ü¤Î½ª¤ï¤ê¤Î» Ϥޤê - ¥¯¥ë¥Þ - Tech-On¡ª

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Others have already applied variable valve opening with SOHC. Variable timing is possible, too. The difficulty is making it independent for both intake and exhaust when using a single shaft.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123