New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it's fresh from auction, then it's still right hand drive? Unconverted? If so, you can see to it that the conversion will be done right. But if you want to be safe, it won't be cheap.

Have a good Mitsubishi mechanic look over the conversion to ensure that it is safe.

Beyond that, the actual mechanical condition of the unit will come into play. How old is it? (from the actual Japanese registration papers) How long was it in-transit or stocked at the docks? (salty air ain't good for cars) What's the mileage on the odometer?

What's the condition of the turbo? Does it belch black smoke? How is the drivetrain (gearbox and transfercase) ? If you want the Pajero, check everything carefully and test-drive. Kahit friend ninyo yan, it's better to be safe.

Personally, I prefer sedans over short SUVs. A Pajero three door might be easier to maneuver than a five door, but it'll still have the tendency to lean or tip over that the five door does, without the added stability of the longer vehicle (tendency to spin). But then, that's because I'm on the highway a lot, and most of my driving is long-distance.

If you're in the city, it's not as big a problem, I guess.

A Civic VTi at that age is a good choice. Most problems you may have will be the standard belts, hoses, shocks, etcetera. Haven't heard of any funny rust problems yet (knock on wood) like the previous Civics. It's very easy to drive, and cheap on gas, as long as it's manual. Common, not as "prestigious", maybe, as a Pajero, but it's a very good car if you don't give a rat's behind as to what other people think.

Ride comfort - Civic
    Fuel economy - similar (in cost, not economy... depends on whether the Pajero's AT or MT)
    Maintenance cost - slight edge to the Civic
    Resale value - Civic, but you can sell the Pajero at a higher price if you can find the right buyer.
    Looks - Pajero
    Flood-ability - Pajero
    Practicality - Civic

All secondhand cars, whether imported or local, are a gamble. It's just that with imports, there are more factors you have to consider, and more things that might go wrong.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pajero for me.
    even if subic, as long as well maintained naman, gearbox and conversion is ok, a pajero is still a pajero.
    plus medyo hirap compare and sedan sa 4x4.
    but for us, we decided to get our sister a 3door pajero rather than a pre-owned sedan.
    mas gusto pati nya i-drive. mas mataas kasi kesa sedan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Pajero 3-door or a Sedan?