New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler
    In my experience, regarding diesel fuel:
    New Oil Players: A bit unreliable with regards to quality. Minsan may duda ako na may halo ang diesel, either with water or kerosine.

Caltex: Malakas ang hatak compared to the others, but pinakamausok.

Shell: Tama lang, just in the middle. Tama lang ang hatak, at not mausok.

Petron: Cleanest of the three, but at the expense of hatak.

Hi Dieseler and others in this thread,

Johnny-come-lately ako to this thread but I like to share the same observation Dieseler has.

I find Shell lubes and fuel right in quality so I use Helix Diesel for oil. For fuel, Shell Diesoline. With Helix Diesel, the engine is silky smooth with a pleasant whine of the engine parts. Diesoline's pull is great in all RPM ranges. I get ~12km/liter, combined city and highway driving on a light load.

Every now and then I experiment with fuel additives. Here are my observations when using specific brands/type:

Bravo: Engine vibration decreases and smoke is reduced. But for short trips, (about 3 to 5 kms lang) I noticed though that hitting optimum engine temperature takes longer. Power output or pull increases at the low RPM range.
    (price to mixture ratio: ~P1.00:liter)

STP: Same as Bravo but hit optimum engine temperature faster than with Bravo or Biodiesel. Engine combustion sound is almost inaudible and feel is more smooth. No perceived increase in pull in any RPM range. Same with just plain Diesoline.
    (price to mixture ratio: ~P2.00:liter)

Increase in fuel efficiency in both these additives is not remarkable.

Biodiesel: I read somewhere, in one of the threads in MAC, biodiesel's performance and recently had a tankful of Envirotek. Smoke is remarkably lessened (although still to smell the smoke kung french fries nga talaga!), pull on the mid RPM range is perceived except that again, it takes more than a 3-km trip to hit optimum engine temperature.
    (price to mixture ratio: ~P0.65:liter)

It appears Envirotek is the most cost efficient (not the biodiesel additive itself) but I have yet to consume the full tank to find out mileage/liter, overall effect on fuel system, and engine performance.

When the diesel engine does not hit optimum temperature in short trips (gas engines warm up faster compared to diesel engines), my observation is fuel consumption increases, particularly so with Bravo and Envirotek Biodiesel. Also with these two, it seems that not until warmed up to half the optimum engine temperature, the engine is grumpy and the growl of a diesel combustion is very audible a la the diesel chatter of an Isuzu engine.

Combustion sound is the same with a cold and a warmed up engine with plain Shell Diesoline. Pull is consistent in all RPM ranges.

Also, parang vitamins ang thinking ko about additives. I don't mix them with plain petrol diesel at all times (lalo na when prices shot up beyond the P20/liter mark). Plain Diesoline is satisfactory enough.

Would anyone have the same observations?

Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dati naloko na ako ng mga Fuel Additives na yan, namely Duralube and co. lol! All I can say is, sayang ang pera mo dito.

Nowadays, I just use Synthetic or a good quality mineral oil, biodiesel, and fill up in a reputable gasoline station.

For biodiesel naman, here are some experiences:

I used Esterol Biodiesel for around 2-3 years na. Heck, when I drove to Tuguegarao, I had a bottle with me, since I don't trust provincial gas stations.

A few months ago, I used a liter or two of biodiesel and then went to have my ride checked sa emission testing center. My result was 0.4. Pati nga yung nag test kamot ulo bakit daw walang maduming usok lol kala sira ride ko. To compare, before I stated using biodiesel, nung bago pa Aventure ko, I had it tested din, and the value is around 1.7! Imagine, bago pa 1.7 na, eh the max. limit is 2.5.

And as AlbertB said, it takes longer for the engine to heat up. IMHO, this is better, as long as we drive slowly, huwag lang biglang hataw. A cooler running engine is good, since it lessens wear and tear (on everything!) and fuel consumption.

Goes to show, biodiesel works, and I'd love to help give our country some clean air for a change. One less pollutant is still one less!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler

...A few months ago, I used a liter or two of biodiesel and then went to have my ride checked sa emission testing center. My result was 0.4. Pati nga yung nag test kamot ulo bakit daw walang maduming usok lol kala sira ride ko. To compare, before I stated using biodiesel, nung bago pa Aventure ko, I had it tested din, and the value is around 1.7! Imagine, bago pa 1.7 na, eh the max. limit is 2.5.

....Goes to show, biodiesel works, and I'd love to help give our country some clean air for a change. One less pollutant is still one less!

Dieseler,

Right away when I filled up last weekend with Envirotek (with about 24 liters of Shell Diesoline still in the tank) emission smoke reduction is evident agad. If the results are encouraging, I will fill up with more mixture of Envirotek to Diesoline.

With esterol biodiesel, how is your mileage and engine performance? I checked with Flying V the cost of their biodiesel additive: P120 a liter. With a 2-3% mixture to fuel, that would be near 3 liters of biodiesel additive to a tankful!

Nag sales talk nga ang Flying V gas pump attendant, "mag-Envirotek na kayo, mas makakatipid kayo kesa bumili nang biodiesel additive."

Have you or anyone tried reverting to regular petrol diesel or alternating biodiesel mixture in every tankful? Any change when biodiesel was not added to the fuel?

Is Flying V's biodiesel additive same as Senbel's biodiesel additive? Biodiesel's claim to pollution reduction is really great. I hope it becomes affordable so its price does not become a resistance point to using biodiesel.

If only all diesel fuel users will clamor for biodiesel additive, all fuel players might offer it as mixture into their petrol diesel. With great demand, price offering might even become competitive. May wider choice na tayo, makakatulong pa tayo to the country's coconut industry beside virgin coconut oil

Cheers!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertB
    Have you or anyone tried reverting to regular petrol diesel or alternating biodiesel mixture in every tankful? Any change when biodiesel was not added to the fuel?
    Medyo kinapos ako sa funds for biodiesel one time, so I thought of substituting Shell diesoline muna, using the free fleet cards that came with my insurance policy. Gassed up with P500 worth of fuel on two separate Shell stations, one in Antipolo and another one in Batangas.

Napansin ko, ang lakas ng konsumo without biodiesel. My tank went from 3/4 to 1/2 level in just half a day's worth of driving, when it would normally take two days worth of driving to consume the same amount with Envirotek.

If only all diesel fuel users will clamor for biodiesel additive, all fuel players might offer it as mixture into their petrol diesel. With great demand, price offering might even become competitive. May wider choice na tayo, makakatulong pa tayo to the country's coconut industry beside virgin coconut oil
    AFAIK, Petron is already considering carrying biodiesel in its stations nationwide.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dieseler,

Right away when I filled up last weekend with Envirotek (with about 24 liters of Shell Diesoline still in the tank) emission smoke reduction is evident agad. If the results are encouraging, I will fill up with more mixture of Envirotek to Diesoline.

With ester biodiesel, how is your mileage and engine performance? I checked with Flying V the cost of their biodiesel additive: P120 a liter. With a 2-3% mixture to fuel, that would be near 3 liters of biodiesel additive to a tankful!

Nag sales talk nga ang Flying V gas pump attendant, "mag-Envirotek na kayo, mas makakatipid kayo kesa bumili nang biodiesel additive."

Is Flying V's biodiesel additive same as Senble's biodiesel additive? Biodiesel's claim to pollution reduction is really great. I hope it becomes affordable so its price does not become a resistance point to using biodiesel.

Cheers!

Hi AlbertB,

When I first started using Esterol, I used up like 2 liters / tankful. The Adventure's tank is around 55 liters, and I waited until I ran about 50km before I used the biodiesel. Of course, after a few more uses, I changed my fuel filter. Then I buy it by the carbuoy, and use 1 liter every other full tank.

In my experience, mileage may have increased only slightly, due to the fact that 1 liter of biodiesel is also fuel, that can add to the total mileage, around 9-10km. What I was after was less pollution, a cooler & smoother running engine, and the feeling that my ride is always using clean fuel.

Some other reasons for me using Biodiesel, aside from having less pollution, (BTW, I switched to Bioactiv just recently, and as usual, got a pailful lol!):

1. Helps (hopefully!) our coconut farmers. Sana di na sila maghirap!
    2. Renewable fuel source. At least coconuts can grow!
    3. Dieselclub member ako, so dapat lang malinis ang takbo ng diesels ko lol! Be an example sana in my case.
    4. Lessen our dependence on foreign oil. Bakit sila lang ang nagpapayaman at our expense? I'd rather have them cocofarmers earn money, mas sulit hehe!

Ang ayaw ko lang sa mga 'pre-mixed' diesel fuel with biodiesel is that how sure are you that the really mixed biodiesel in the fuel ? Additives nga ng mga Velocity, etc. di nga minsan daw nahahalo, eto pa yung masmahal? And what will stop them from adding KEROSINE, and do a sales talk na biodiesel mixed yan? Lakakas nga takbo ng diesel mo, pero sira naman in the end. So I'd rather stick to the old method of manual adding of biodiesel. IMHO lang peeps ha! lol! You can always do what you think is comfortable for you!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman

AFAIK, Petron is already considering carrying biodiesel in its stations nationwide.
    I hope the gov't. makes this mandatory. This will benefit A LOT of people.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
oil and fuel  on your adventure