New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    You got the last two correctly...those are different flavors of variable valve timing. But CVT is on the other side of the engine bay.

CVT stands for continuously variable transmission. It doesn't have gears but instead have pulleys and belts. They drive differently because with CVT, you can just stay on a certain rpm and the tranny will still make the car accelerate, because the gear ratios are constantly changed to give more speed even on the same rpm whereas in a "conventional" 'matic, gear ratios dictate the moving speed relative to engine speed hence there is a "fixed" proportionality between engine rpm and the car's speed.

Maybe what you were referring to was MIVEC, Mitsu's own version of variable valve timing. It stands for "Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system". Got that from Wikipedia.

Considering the TS's friend is a lady, maybe she could consider the Yaris. I wouldn't recommend a conventional "notchback" i.e. a 3-box car or what we call a car with a trunk. She would be just starting to practice basics of driving, and parking a notchback car will be much more difficult for someone with no experience. Why, you ask? Because visibility of the rear extremities is very limited, and the driver must have a clear idea where the true rear end is. In a hatchback, it is much easier to picture the rear end since the hatch is pretty much the marker for the car's rear dimension.

Also, Toyotas are reliable enough for first-time drivers so maintenance won't be an issue.

Alternative: Honda Jazz.

Thanks for the info rm & batang! I thought CVT is for their entry level units, while MIVEC is for their luxury class (e.g. grandis). I didn't check the brochures first before posting.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    my suggestions are: jazz, yaris, city, i10 in that order..

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ah....medyo naliwanagan ako ah...thanks mga idol...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions. We'd definitely keep all those in mind when look for my friend's car. Plus, learned more about CVTs so thanks for that. Will be posting soon if we do visit some showrooms and get her to test drive some of the cars you've suggested. First on our list would be the honda jazz since it was what you've mostly suggested. I am excited to learn more about cars thanks to you guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
A newbie here