New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ...suspenders...?
    No Larry King, either, doc. Shorts & suspenders don't really go well together.
    If them trousers are loose, I just eat more.Montero Sport Timing Belt Replacement

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    No Larry King, either, doc. Shorts & suspenders don't really go well together.
    If them trousers are loose, I just eat more.Montero Sport Timing Belt Replacement

oh... de... leh... eee ow...!

some of my friends make bati me, "doc, you've lost weight!. how'd you do it?".
    "easy. i got me a sastre in kamuning."

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    oh... de... leh... eee ow...!

some of my friends make bati me, "doc, you've lost weight!. how'd you do it?".
    "easy. i got me a sastre in kamuning."
    Montero Sport Timing Belt Replacement

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    "poor engine performance", if you are lucky.
    if you are unlucky, they just snap without warning.
    i have experienced engine timing chain malfunction. my sentra's engine just stopped. fortunately, the engine is one of those engines designed in such a way that the pistons and valve tappets never meet, despite timing malfunction.
    in my car, the chain did not snap. the bolt holding the timing gear got loose and the gear fell off. fortunately, nothing else got damaged. all the repairman had to do, was to re-attach the parts and tighten the bolt.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

many timing chains last the life of the engine.
    but they do malfunction, from time to time.
    Timing chains rarely break, but they will stretch. I've seen running Toyota 3-4Ks with timing chains covers eaten up by stretched chains.

Its not just the belt that needs replacement. While you're at it, change the waterpump, crankshaft seals and tensioner too. same lang naman labor charge niyan.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Timing chains rarely break, but they will stretch. I've seen running Toyota 3-4Ks with timing chains covers eaten up by stretched chains.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    those guys are probably using the engine, far beyond the interment date.
    heh heh.
    joke.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Lately, there are occasional squealing sounds similar to a sound from a loose belt on my 2011 GLS-V. I think I had my a/c belt replaced in the past year. I have 55K kms on my odometer. Is it possible the sound is a symptom of a malfunctioning timing belt? There are no other symptoms (overheating, power loss, oil leaks) except for that occasional squealing sound. The owner's manual suggests replacement of the timing belt by 100k kms.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Timing belt is fully enclosed, you normally wouldn't hear it squeal. Baka bearing/pulley on one of your auxiliary drive components.

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by green eagle View Post
    Lately, there are occasional squealing sounds similar to a sound from a loose belt on my 2011 GLS-V. I think I had my a/c belt replaced in the past year. I have 55K kms on my odometer. Is it possible the sound is a symptom of a malfunctioning timing belt? There are no other symptoms (overheating, power loss, oil leaks) except for that occasional squealing sound. The owner's manual suggests replacement of the timing belt by 100k kms.
    Just to comment, alam ko ang noted sa manual ng timing belt ng Montero since same model ng atin is 70-90k kms, not exactly 100k kms. Nagpalit kami ng timing belt nung mga 80k kms which we reached when the vehicle was about/almost 8 years old.

As for the belt squeal, other than ac belt, diba may belt din to alternator?

Since low mileage ka, I believe need mo lang pacheck yung belt if may "slack" na or malutong na kasi over time nawawala yung flex ng goma due to age. So yun din reason kaya willing ako papalit dati yung timing belt kahit 80k kms at 8 years old. Ayaw ko lang abutan ako na bigla pipitik sa gitna ng biyahe, mahirap na. Might as well take that out as a possible cause of concern.

Just a thought.

But as Dr Kamiya also pointed out about Timing Belt, may housing yan. And alam ko hindi naman usually yun yung culprit ng squeals/squeaks pag galing sa garage na kakatapos lang umulan tapos pinaandar mo.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    if i remember correctly, the casa recommends changing your timing belt at the 80k kms mark tops. for a 9 year old rig, not changing your timing belt yet, i think; is already pushing your luck bro. the heat and the hundreds of engine idling hours through the years may have already inflicted some damage to your monty's timing belt.

if you scroll up, i posted last march pics of the timing belt i replaced at the 81000 + km mark (i was also aiming to do the replacement procedure when i reached 100k kms) and there were already small cracks and fissures. i realized belatedly medyo tempting fate na nga iyon.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i do not think so.
    a timing belt is properly adjusted, so's the timing of the various engine functions is correct.
    if the timing belt slips and squeals, that delicate timing is thrown off, and you would know it immediately. off-timing shows up as poor engine performance, that is, if you can start it at all.

my guess is, one of your external belts is slipping. madali naman masiyasat yan, eh. a car owner with basic engine knowhow, can do it.

i do not know about your engine, but in some engines with an idler pulley, the idler pulley's bearing can be the source of squeal. one has but to replace it. one can spray lubricant into it, but by my experience, the squeal will come back in a couple of weeks.

happy trouble-shooting.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 27th, 2020 at 09:17 AM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast