New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it's the reason i go to the casa for vital items like timing belt. for peace of mind, and also the implied warranty.
    an extra 5 thousand peso expense.. spread over 120K km (that's over 10 years for me!)... puede na.

May idea kayo how much yung timing belt ng Montero sa CASA compared sa mga neighborhood retail autostores?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    May idea kayo how much yung timing belt ng Montero sa CASA compared sa mga neighborhood retail autostores?
    no, i do not.
    hindi ako mitsubishi, eh.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    I dunno about Mitsu, but I just got a quote from Toyota today for our ol' reliable diesel..around P2.3k. These I get FRESH & GENUINE everytime. Why? Genuine isn't unaffordable & Don't Trust old rubber. I've had new-to-me old-stock seals fail prematurely. Won't risk that on T-belts. Rubber has limited shelf life.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    I dunno about Mitsu, but I just got a quote from Toyota today for our ol' reliable diesel..around P2.3k. These I get FRESH & GENUINE everytime. Why? Genuine isn't unaffordable & Don't Trust old rubber. I've had new-to-me old-stock seals fail prematurely. Won't risk that on T-belts. Rubber has limited shelf life.

Any signs ng engine bago masira or maputol ang tbelts?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    As a safe practice, whether you have an interference engine (where the valves and piston occupy the same space at different times) or not, you want to change timing belts before the manufacturers scheduled time. If they say replace every 75k km, replace it at 65k. Given our local traffic conditions where you spend more time idling in traffic than turning the wheels/odometer, better to change earlier. If you think a TB change is expensive and time consuming, try an engine overhaul or an engine swap.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    As a safe practice, whether you have an interference engine (where the valves and piston occupy the same space at different times) or not, you want to change timing belts before the manufacturers scheduled time. If they say replace every 75k km, replace it at 65k. Given our local traffic conditions where you spend more time idling in traffic than turning the wheels/odometer, better to change earlier. If you think a TB change is expensive and time consuming, try an engine overhaul or an engine swap.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk
    +1....I do -10k kms at least.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    +1....I do -10k kms at least.

I've been advised even timing chains aren't "forever".

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    True, tensioner usually go 1st. There will be signs & noises prior....unlike belts. And I dislike wearing belts.[emoji4]

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lateral_link View Post
    Any signs ng engine bago masira or maputol ang tbelts?
    "poor engine performance", if you are lucky.
    if you are unlucky, they just snap without warning.
    i have experienced engine timing chain malfunction. my sentra's engine just stopped. fortunately, the engine is one of those engines designed in such a way that the pistons and valve tappets never meet, despite timing malfunction.
    in my car, the chain did not snap. the bolt holding the timing gear got loose and the gear fell off. fortunately, nothing else got damaged. all the repairman had to do, was to re-attach the parts and tighten the bolt.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    many timing chains last the life of the engine.
    but they do malfunction, from time to time.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    True, tensioner usually go 1st. There will be signs & noises prior....unlike belts. And I dislike wearing belts.[emoji4]

...suspenders...?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast