New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have a Montero 2010 4-speed A/T that clocked 90,000 kms and due for ATF replacement. Last ATF (fluid only) was changed at 50,000 kms. A service adviser from a casa advised me to also change the ATF filter. Another service adviser from another casa told otherwise and advised only a fluid change. Which one is true?

Thank you.
    Last edited by roydok; September 6th, 2014 at 09:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    Have a Montero 2010 4-speed A/T that clocked 90,000 kms and due for ATF replacement. Last ATF (fluid only) was changed at 50,000 kms. A service adviser from a casa advised me to also change the ATF filter. Another service adviser from another casa told otherwise and advised only a fluid change. Which one is true?

Thank you.
    hi sir. you can refer to your own post way back 2003 (na google ko lang)

http://tsikot.com/forums/tech-specs-...ice-menu-3834/

APPLICABLE ONLY EVERY 40,000 kms.
    Replace engine coolant
    Change automatic transmission fluid (including transfer) and replace automatic transmission internal / external filter
    Change brake / clutch fluid & power steering fluid

imo, when you change the ATF, it is always better if not necessary to change the filter. those casa SA's should know better. or might be that the 2nd SA you asked do not know that you have not replaced the filter when you had your 1st ATF change.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you for your thoughts Sir and I stand corrected. I was just frustrated as the SA from 2 casas told me the the ATF filter was not to be touched and only the ATF should be changed. A 3rd SA from another casa told me otherwise. I have decided to have both the filter and fluid replaced just this morning. I'm planning to keep this Monty for at least 10 years and this may help prolong the useful life of the A/T.
    Last edited by roydok; September 8th, 2014 at 10:20 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    What kind of filter does the montero use? All a/t has internal metal mesh under the pan. Does the external filter looks like a regular replaceable oil filter?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The A/T filter is an metallic box-shaped filter unit with an inlet/outlet passage for the ATF. The filter elements are inside the metallic unit. Don't know what the filter unit components but likely to be combined filter paper and metal mesh just like an oil filter. I was not able to pry it open. Its almost similar to a regular oil filter just bigger (a bit smaller than the ATF pan) and shaped like a box. Its not a metal mesh but a whole filter unit. Filter costs about 2.2k+. Its accessible just under the ATF pan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The SA advised both ATF and A/T filter replacement every 40,000 kms as a blocked A/T filter together with dirty/burnt/insufficient ATF are the primary causes of A/T malfunction/failure. Will heed his advice. He mentions all current Mitsubishi A/T vehicles sold in the Phils have A/T filters

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Total Cost of ATF change is around 6.7k Breakdown as follows: a. labor: 656.00, b. A/T Filter: 2,248.66, c. 6-liters of Dia-Q SP III synthetic ATF at 623.62/liter: 3,741.72, d. Silicone sealant: 192.00.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Would anybody here know if the dealer only replaces the fluid in the pan or do they do a transmission flush? Manual indicates about 9liters of sp3. So a proper flush would need about 10 liters! Also maybe we can diy if we knew...like if they drained first, replace filter, which cooler lines do they remove and ran the engine till the atf turned red. Just making sure this is the procedure that should be done

9. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Anong signs/symptoms na dapat na magpalit ng transmission filter?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Monty 2011. in line with this discussion. I am about to change my atf also decided to change filter.

Anyone ever used Dexron III instead of SP III ? it is also stated in the manual as an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Montero Sport Automatic Transmission Filter Replacement?