New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    just got this response from my dealer (talked to their vp of service): the 4wd conversion is not plug and play. you need to change the front wheel hubs and suspension (to handle the heavier load of the added differential)

front suspension, front differential and transfer case will cost more than P100T (not bad actually if this is all OEM) but he estimates the total cost to be between 20-30% of the vehicle cost. if the brandnew 4x2 monty costs P1.3M then conversion is at P260T * 20% of the vehicle cost, conservatively. considering some cost overruns, perhaps a more conservative budget should be P300T - if you have this done at the casa

but what drives up this cost beyond P100T he did not specific. perhaps labor? other parts? oil? etc, etc? alam naman natin na sa mga maliliit na bagay rin tumitira yung casa aside from the major parts

perhaps the TS can do a combination, i.e. get the major OEM parts and the rest aftermarket and have this done by a competent and trusted aftermarket installer

the comparative cost analysis should be between installing the 4wd kit or selling the 4x2 and getting a brandnew 4x4

i wish the TS good luck in his query and should he pursue the conversion, do keep us posted for the information and added knowledge of the montero sport community

Not plug and play but very easy to do since it is part of the design as long nga as you use Oem/oem spec materials. Mahirap kung gamitan nmo ng ibnag transfer case at tranny pa like the expensive ones para maiba.

But IMO, buy a winch na lang. God enough to pull you aka 4WD.

Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    curiously, i wonder if a 4D56 pajero's 4wd system will fit a montero?

curiouser still, i also wonder if you can use a 4D56 strada's 4wd for a montero?

or perhaps some kind of combination of parts?

i am sure that the above two are more readily available in surplus shops that that of an MS.

hmmmmm

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    patrol also has electronic sensors and ECU

sa montero, its just the same. if you have the TPMS, its already there and will not really be affected

i can't think of any sensors that will be affected by the conversion

as for mechanical, well, bubutasan mo ang cabin to make way for the extra stick shift but that is the same with all other 4x2 conversions

as for the price, well i am not prejudging the cost until i get the quotation for it. mahirap mag conclude na "ridiculously expensive" or "not worth it" until we get the facts on the pesos and cents actual quotation. if you do know the price then perhaps you can post it for the guidance of the TS.

the price difference between the monty 4x2 model versus the 4x4 model is about P250T conservatively. lets weigh in on the cost based on this

then let the TS do his own cost-benefit analysis after all it is his budget

I'm aware that the patrol has all sensors and those electronic stuff....but having a non commonrail engine, Im putting a big bet on it being a lesser sensitive vehicle when it comes to major mods.

and yes, I shouldn't have used the word ridiculous (though I really think it is), rather, not worth it is much more fitting for this conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Not plug and play but very easy to do since it is part of the design as long nga as you use Oem/oem spec materials. Mahirap kung gamitan nmo ng ibnag transfer case at tranny pa like the expensive ones para maiba.

But IMO, buy a winch na lang. God enough to pull you aka 4WD.

kung gusto lang naman maglaro ni TS using his 4x2....I'd rather settle for differential lockers at the rear... problema lang wala pa yata available for montero hehe

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by locoroco777 View Post
    I'm aware that the patrol has all sensors and those electronic stuff....but having a non commonrail engine, Im putting a big bet on it being a lesser sensitive vehicle when it comes to major mods.

and yes, I shouldn't have used the word ridiculous (though I really think it is), rather, not worth it is much more fitting for this conversion.

kung gusto lang naman maglaro ni TS using his 4x2....I'd rather settle for differential lockers at the rear... problema lang wala pa yata available for montero hehe
    Mahal pa lockers vs a simple winch system na lang and aggresive tires and some lift. Tapos dala ng shovel and pick combo sa rear. Para puwede na maglaro at makaahon.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Mahal pa lockers vs a simple winch system na lang and aggresive tires and some lift. Tapos dala ng shovel and pick combo sa rear. Para puwede na maglaro at makaahon.
    gastos din yan bro eh haha!

bili nalang lumang suzuki jimny yun nalang paglaruan hahaha!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by locoroco777 View Post
    gastos din yan bro eh haha!

bili nalang lumang suzuki jimny yun nalang paglaruan hahaha!
    Oo nga pala, or old school vitara 4x4. madali rin pormahan na pang-offroad.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    just got this response from my dealer (talked to their vp of service): the 4wd conversion is not plug and play. you need to change the front wheel hubs and suspension (to handle the heavier load of the added differential)

front suspension, front differential and transfer case will cost more than P100T (not bad actually if this is all OEM) but he estimates the total cost to be between 20-30% of the vehicle cost. if the brandnew 4x2 monty costs P1.3M then conversion is at P260T * 20% of the vehicle cost, conservatively. considering some cost overruns, perhaps a more conservative budget should be P300T - if you have this done at the casa

but what drives up this cost beyond P100T he did not specific. perhaps labor? other parts? oil? etc, etc? alam naman natin na sa mga maliliit na bagay rin tumitira yung casa aside from the major parts

perhaps the TS can do a combination, i.e. get the major OEM parts and the rest aftermarket and have this done by a competent and trusted aftermarket installer

the comparative cost analysis should be between installing the 4wd kit or selling the 4x2 and getting a brandnew 4x4

i wish the TS good luck in his query and should he pursue the conversion, do keep us posted for the information and added knowledge of the montero sport community

Extra cash is probably for interior trim (extra shifter) and other modifications. Not bad, as far as conversions go, but absolutely not cost-effective.

Probably worse if the unit is AT, you'd have to change ECUs, I bet...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Montero 4x2 conversion