New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not a fan of synths. We don't race these cars and we change them at the specified intervals.

Dont have the MS Manual here but I would just like to ask. Model is a 2.5 non VGT:
    1. What is the minimum service requirement (API, etc.)?
    2. What is the suggested viscosity?
    3. What is the suggested interval for Units on mineral oil?
    4. What brand of Mineral oil do you use?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Doc, if you dont want to use synthetic oil, first thing i would check is the API rating. Minimum rating for euro2 engine is API CI-4. Use of oil with lower rating will just foul the EGR.

For viscosity, 10/15w40 would be perfect for our weather.

You dont want to try semi synthetic oils? There are some priced not far from mineral oils naman. Like Zic Up 10w40. Priced at 180-200/L. Spec is comparable to Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Not a fan of synths. We don't race these cars and we change them at the specified intervals.

Dont have the MS Manual here but I would just like to ask. Model is a 2.5 non VGT:
    1. What is the minimum service requirement (API, etc.)?
    2. What is the suggested viscosity?
    3. What is the suggested interval for Units on mineral oil?
    4. What brand of Mineral oil do you use?

Thanks!
    1. According to the manual, minimum is API CD. Though its obsolete, some gasoline stations are still selling it.
    2. Suggested daw is 15W40 since nasa tropical climate country tayo. I use 5W40 though
    3. Majority would change their oil at 5k since it is known that mineral oil is more prone to thermal breakdown.
    4. We're not using mineral oil, synthetic ginagamit namin. Price is around 1.6k for 4L.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Doc, if you dont want to use synthetic oil, first thing i would check is the API rating. Minimum rating for euro2 engine is API CI-4. Use of oil with lower rating will just foul the EGR.

For viscosity, 10/15w40 would be perfect for our weather.

You dont want to try semi synthetic oils? There are some priced not far from mineral oils naman. Like Zic Up 10w40. Priced at 180-200/L. Spec is comparable to Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Using ZIC UP 10w-40 but OCI is still every 5K kms due to inferior asian Fleetguard LF3564 oil filter (but it's still better than the OEM oil filter based on absence of metal deposits on dipstick and smooth engine response even near 5K kms milleage). If 15w-40 spec is preffered, ZIC SD5000 and ZIC 5000 is available for only P185/liter (provincial price). But it's rated CF-4 and CH-4 only. And the performance is really far from ZIC UP, based on 4 OCI.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My uncle distributes zic in the area. Might as well give it a try the next time around. Hehe

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How about more mainstream stuff from Shell and Caltex?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    How about more mainstream stuff from Shell and Caltex?
    Delo Gold Ultra and Delo 400 if you can find it are best from Caltex.

Shell's R3 Rimula 15w40 is rated CH-4 so its third on the list, tie with Delo Gold only.

Mineral Oil for Montero Sport and Strada