New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hindi naman. It's just that Automakers aren't willing to trust them for more powerful engines or bigger cars yet. There are mechanical and chain-type CVTs that can take more power, but so far, I think only Nissan has them on big engines, particularly on their luxury type sedans with V8s and the new V6 VQ35DE in the Japanese Skyline Sedan.

Ganun ba talaga ang Grandis, miogimd? Di parang successor to the SpaceWagon yung Grandis. AFAIK, the Spacewagon and Spacegear were very good vehicles that were both, unfortunately, unnoticed by the AUV market. Ibang klase talaga ang handling ng mga ito compared to AUVs.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    ah so the belt driven CVTs are the ones with limits..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Niky,
    I don't think the Grandis is being marketed as a successor to the much loved Space wagon. The MPV market in both Asia and Europe is targeted where the demand is steadily increasing. A VW supplied 2L TDI diesel option is now available in much of Europe. Its competitiors in Europe include the Renault Espace, Honda Odyssey, Peugeot 807/Fiat Ulysse.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miogimd
    I own a Grandis since Feb of this year, and I'm satisfied with the ownership. After 2 auvs and a Hyundai Starex, I realized that I needed a vehicle that drives like a car or handles like one with an independent rear suspension as a bonus. I'm not saying auvs and the Starex are horrendous, its just that I wanted FUN back into the driving equation. And the Grandis is worth the wait, the Previa being too expensive. No offense to Fortuner owners, but I was actually relieved I made the right decision...no more trucks for me.

Initially I had qualms on the fuel consumption(with its 2.4l), 6.3km/l city driving in heavy traffic, short distance driving, idling when waiting(for kids to come out from school). Highway driving delivers 10++km/l and recently had a chance to drive 50%highway and 50%city, 8.2km/l. Which puts a smile on my face knowing some 1.6l cars more or less posts the same consumption.

The seats are great, long distance driving becomes desirable. Auto climate aircon a gem, cools down and maintains cabin temp effortlessly. You'll find yourself yawning most of the time because of the plush ride and quiet interior. Never fails to lull kids to sleep.

Mivec power delivers, smooth and relaxed. An audible but not annoying growl when the engine is pushed becomes increasingly tolerable. Handling is reassuring and reminds us that the 1630kg Grandis is a cruiser not a race car. It can throw itself in corners with aplomb but you'll probably do this 1% of the time when your precious cargo(family)are in the back seat.

Stereo sound(Clarion)is surprisingly adequate(does justice on my Ipod using I trip)but might consider upgrading with a DVD entertainment system later. The hide and seat third row offers great and usable space and the recessed rear compartment swallows a big suitcase and a stroller with my kids on the 3rd row.

Negatives? With Mitsus worldwide in dire straits, I had myself thinking of reliability and resale value issues so I have to see in the next year or so. But what's a great elixir for these worries? It never fails to elicit looong stares everyday, anywhere. And oh did I mention it seats seven?
    Hi.

I am very interested in acquiring the 2005 Grandis but here are some drawbacks I am thinking twice about.

1. Is the 2.4 MIVEC engine enough for its size?
    2. Is the handling and stability of the car far different of AUV's and the new MPV innova?
    3. The dashboard seems bare. Does it look nice at night when lights are on.
    4. The head unit seems low-end and half lang of the space... parang tinipid. Did mitsu offer any entertainment packages?
    5. Does it have rear sensors?
    6. What are other nice features it offers?
    7. Mitsu service has some issues right... have u encountered any of them? I did.

And lastly, Do you have any interior pics?

I am divided between Fortuner, this mini-van, Venture(which was rumored to be sirain kaya mura V6 for 1.4m php wow).

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Is the 2.4 MIVEC engine enough for its size?
    160PS*6000rpm. You be the judge.

The dashboard seems bare. Does it look nice at night when lights are on.
    I'm not sure about the rest of the dash, but the instrument panel (ie. speedometer, tach) looks nicely illuminated at night. The meters are bluish in color.

The head unit seems low-end and half lang of the space... parang tinipid. Did mitsu offer any entertainment packages?
    Yeah, it does look a bit low-end but I think its sufficient for anyone's basic audio needs. It is a dealer option single in dash CD/MP3 player. The other (lower) half serves as storage space.

5. Does it have rear sensors?
    The brochure does NOT specify, if it does. Looking at the rear bumper, there are holes which means it either has it or there is a provision for future installation.

And lastly, Do you have any interior pics?
    Try downloading the .PDF (Adobe Acrobat file) brochure from the Mitsubishi Motors Philippines website.

I am divided between

Fortuner,
    Extremely long waiting list. Better luck next year unless of course you are willing to go for the "wedgie" treatment at the dealers with the mandatory leather seats, In-house-fininacing+insurance, accessories(mags, dvd, thule carrying case). And even all that does not guarantee you a unit anytime soon, either.

this mini-van,
    The Grandis is really not a bad car as many people would think of it as. Mitsubishi does have a tarnished name, which makes it a hard sell with their products. Other than that, Grandis is fine family cruiser. The price is a little too much though.

Venture(which was rumored to be sirain kaya mura V6 for 1.4m php wow).
    Those tales are not stuff of urban legends. It is true the Venture is an unreliable car. There is a dedicated thread just for that in here at tsikot.com. Just search for it.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Federal,
    Point by point answers to your queries:
    1. Mivec engine is more than adequate driven around town with more than 5 passengers. Haven't tried driving uphill to Baguio yet, but judging from the power delivery it seems to get the job done.

2. Handling from a car with fully independent suspension on all four corners says more than enough about its capabilities vis a vis the Innova and other auvs--apples and oranges.

3. The dazzling 3 stage lighting of the Optitron meters(upon turning the ignition) will make you feel you are getting what you pay for. This is purely subjective of course.

4. Agree about the low end head unit. But it does give a crisp sound and hey you won't feel bad if you(really, really)have to trade in the HU from 1Din to a 2Din later on. Mitsu entertainment packages will set you back 40-50k for an overhead monitor.

5. Yes it has effective and rather accurate rear sensors.

6. Nifty features include individual AC vents and dome light for 2nd and 3rd row passengers, all leather upholstery, door lights to assist when alighting, seat belts up to the 3rd row, numerous cup holders with storage bins(3rd row), 2nd row seats on rails(so a more acceptable 3rd row spacing can be reached).

7. I've had mitsus before and just like other car manufacturers, they can be a pain in the ..., but nobody's perfect right? Everytime they kinda rose to the occasion and somehow they vindicated themselves somewhat. They replaced a "warped" wiper the day after I complained and got the job done(they immediately got the spare part from the plant).

Sorry no interior pics, the best would still be your nearest mitsu showroom.

Ditch the Venture, too many reasons(and threads here)for you not to even think about it(you already articulated your reasons).
    The Fortuner is an excellent alternative and it all boils down to preference--a refined truck that's reliable or a car that's simply fun to drive, sporty and not too VANnish.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miogimd
    Niky,
    I don't think the Grandis is being marketed as a successor to the much loved Space wagon. The MPV market in both Asia and Europe is targeted where the demand is steadily increasing. A VW supplied 2L TDI diesel option is now available in much of Europe. Its competitiors in Europe include the Renault Espace, Honda Odyssey, Peugeot 807/Fiat Ulysse.
    I know, but it's nice that it retains the same driving spirit as the Spacewagon... y'know, a van in practice, but a car at heart. :lol:

Sana dumating din dito ang Mazda 5 at ang Oddysey... but with the entry price point of MPVs being as they are, who knows if they'll be any more successful than the Grandis?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Grandis Owners...How's your ride?