New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *djoverdose: Changes in fuel economy due to air-filter changes are not imaginary.

Changing to an aftermarket air-filter on an electronically controlled engine alters the readings of the mass airflow sensor.

Sometimes this makes the engine run richer, which is bad for fuel economy.

Sometimes this makes the engine run leaner, which is good for economy but bad for durability.

Sometimes this confuses the engine and makes it run erratically. Which is bad for economy and durability.

----

As stated, the 08 MX should be the 1.8 with a CVT. If you're driving this in Manila (around the Espana area pa ba?), then that's probably typical... considering Mitsubishi's CVT is actually a torque converter type, which means it's not ultra-light like Honda's CVTs.

If you can't find an original airbox, you could always upgrade to a K&N or try some tricks to smooth out MAF airflow... though I can't say how you can apply this without seeing the engine bay. Typically what we do to lessen MAF interference is to increase the length of tube between the MAF and the filter (the longer intake tract also improves low-end) or to add a mesh screen to smooth out airflow at the MAF.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    factor to check;

1. proper wheel alignment
    2. tire pressure
    3. less load inside your car and trunk
    4. check your sparkplugs,high tension wire and distributor assembly for cleaning or replacement
    5. proper engine timing.
    6. good engine oil will definitely contribute a big plus...
    7. check your brakes baka meron stuck up that can contribute for dragging the car
    8.try to use high octane gasoline

keep your simota air filter ok yan baka needs cleaning lang or washing... if carb type yang car mo sir try cleaning your carb assembly baka madami na dumi sa loob, or rev and choke na lang for couple of times.. these works for me...

lastly relax lang sa pagmamaneho

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    That's one reason why I refrained from changing the stock airbox of our car to Simota — MAF sensors (Mitsu and Nissan MAFs are really sensitive).

I had a Honda engine before. It has no MAF sensor. I installed cone-type Simota. After three months it didn't do me any good. Breathes in so much hot air.

Now imagine what mess an open cone could do to those with MAFs.

Sa umpisa lang mahusay yang open cones, pag napabayaan sa linis at walang heat shield your FC will suffer.

Suggest you get a stock airbox and bolt it back.

Or change it to better filters (KNN, Apex-i)
    Last edited by isa1023; August 12th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    testing.... my mazda 323 before

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by khazpert View Post
    testing.... my mazda 323 before

So what does to Coke bottle do?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hmmm... i did not encounter any problem with my MAF before.. maybe if the cone was already worn out maybe it can damage your MAF.

also its a good practice to reset your ECU if you install any aftermarket parts. it will atleast read the new settings for your engine. though at first your FC will increase quite abit but after that it will go back to normal. check your manual or FSM about it...

Lastly I really dont think that the airfilter was the main culprit. If ever it may add to the lower FC but not that drastic....

like what khazpert said, check your wheel alignment etc..... it contributes alot in your FC... more drag more gas..... have your car tuned up.....

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unless you've owned the exact same car and have done the exact same mod, you can't say that it's not.

The problem with airfilter mods is that it's tricky business. What works well on one car works terribly on another.

On my car, on the dyno, we lost over 5 horsepower when we removed the airfilter from our long-tube adapater and stuck it straight on the MAF. We put the tube back... and voila, there was the power again! That's a simple difference of one 90 degree bend and eight inches of pipe... and yet it made a huge difference in power and performance.

On the Mazdaspeed3, they had to recall the factory Mazdaspeed3 cold air intake because its design was causing a check-engine light due to MAF interference.

On the Subaru WRX, one poorly made intake (due to improper MAF-adaptor diameter) was causing engines to blow up.

Seriously. Air filters matter. And a cheaply made one that changes the airflow through the MAF can have a profound effect. Take it from somebody who's been playing with them for years.
    Last edited by niky; August 14th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    So what does to Coke bottle do?
    coke bottle = extra water po just in case!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    4g18 uses map sensors. using a tube type filter won't affect the fc that much. if you can, upgrade your simota to a better performing cone filter.

also, you can't change and/or adjust the valve timing. 4g18 uses spring type, it adjusts by itself.

things you can do (in addition to what others have mentioned):
    check/replace your tranny oil.
    check/adjust wheel alignment.
    use lighter oils (5-30 to 10-40) on your next oil change.

questions:
    any changes done with the headers and muffler?
    what tire size are you using?
    wheels still stock?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have the sensors been cleaned?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Doing 6.5km/L on a 2003 Lancer MX CVT