New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hi everyone! i am a newbie here. please help me out with my inquiry.

I am just about to get a Lancer EX GLS 2.0 which we carefully handpicked over the civic 1.8 and the corolla altis - had a 2008 civic and it was great) & just sold our mazda 3, had super major "kalampag" problems (so sad).

handpicked i say because aside from what i have researched (styling exterior and interior is "angas", great ride, fuel efficiency is not bad, speed & handling is great, etc) there seemed to be one lacking point in detail that is a major concern for me and that is its "Durability"........

which generally no one can answer .......Yet! not within another year maybe.

So i made my own specualtion that since all new Lancers come directly from Japan (CKD - complete knockdown), does this fact be a basis that the Lancer just may........just may be a little tougher than .....lets say a corolla or a civic which is a SKD (semi knockdown) from thailand?

(short kwento: i have a friend who drives a "not a lemon" 2002 corolla [a slow driver by the way] and another friend which has a lower model corolla 1999 CKD from japan and the 2002 is nowhere near the pristine condition of the 1999 toyota)

Any insights would be great! Many Thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    it's really hard to tell without subjecting them to same variables. the durability of a vehicle is very much dependent on the way it is driven and maintained by its owner. there is also the slim chance that you get a lemon unit.

however, IMO, if subjected to the same variables i guess the CKD from Japan wins over the SKD from thailand due to more stringent quality control measures of the former.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hindi ba CBU (completely built up)?

CKD (complete knockdown) means the car is assembled locally from CKD "kits"

SKD (semi knockdown) naman tires and batteries na lang nilalagay sa planta.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Imho, mas maganda pa rin quality ng made in japan, pero hindi na rin siguro noticeable. One major difference between japan and asean made cars is that the spot welding during body assembly is done by humans instead of robots in japan.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Isn't the Lancer EX CBU (Completely Built Unit) from Japan?

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuwrx View Post
    Hindi ba CBU (completely built up)?

CKD (complete knockdown) means the car is assembled locally from CKD "kits"

SKD (semi knockdown) naman tires and batteries na lang nilalagay sa planta.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    correct po sirs. CKD is used only when the unit is assembled locally... in the case of Mitsubishi, the Adventure is one of their CKDs or locally assembled units at the Cainta Plant.

This makes the Lancer EX lineup a CBU or completely built up unit from Japan.

Lets say that Fit and Finish of the Lancer EX should be better. And yes, only time will tell if they are indeed durable or not.

--ot--
    AFAIK, Corollas that have been assembled from 1989 - 2001 (long body and love life Corollas) have been assembled at the TMPC plant in Bicutan. Corolla Altis (Brad Pitt) models assembled from 2001 - 2007 are assembled at the Sta. Rosa Plant.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    mga boss parepareho lng naman ang mga asian cars e,di bale sana kung icocompare natin asian cars vs european cars.toyota,honda,mitsubishi parepareho lang yan.peace

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Durability will depend on many factors... the owner, the quality of the engineering and parts used and the quality of assembly.

The quality of assembly does not depend on the country of origin. Rather, it depends on the quality control of the factory in question. Usually, Japanese CBU units are of good quality because of the robotic assembly in Japanese factories, but some Philippine-made and Indonesian-made units are also very well screwed together...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hey Guys! Thanks to all who posted their insights... i almost forgot to watch out for my own thread (toxic months for me)

Niky
    "The quality of assembly does not depend on the country of origin. Rather, it depends on the quality control of the factory in question. Usually, Japanese CBU units are of good quality because of the robotic assembly in Japanese factories, but some Philippine-made and Indonesian-made units are also very well screwed together..."
    Thanks Niky. I am told re the robotics assembly in japan thats why i took the risk of getting the EX 2.0 - il post my reviews soon.

ianmitsulancer
    This makes the Lancer EX lineup a CBU or completely built up unit from Japan.
    you're right ianmitsulancer. My bad (with the ckd thing)

number001
    Hi number001... my bad... its CBU.

rhuwrx
    Imho, mas maganda pa rin quality ng made in japan, pero hindi na rin siguro noticeable. One major difference between japan and asean made cars is that the spot welding during body assembly is done by humans instead of robots in japan.
    spot welding? it may pose a bit of an advantage on units from Japan

moejun2
    however, IMO, if subjected to the same variables i guess the CKD from Japan wins over the SKD from thailand due to more stringent quality control measures of the former.
    I really hope it is so.

Thanks for all your posts. il post my reviews next. Just got mine last August 01.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hi to all!

I just wanted to share my insights on my new car. I just got my 2009 Lancer EX GLS CVT 2.0 AT last Aug 1.

I did a lot of thinking when i was told that the new Lancer will be coming directly & is manufactured in Tokyo, Japan (which also states in my car manual) so maybe i thought i'd give it a shot....and so here is my testimony...

Interior: The Lancer is not that great looking (wooden trims, obviously light plastic materials, aircon knob is embarassing, old fashioned window buttons, no front ceiling lamps, cheap fabric on all doors & console, gear knob looks like crap)

Ride/comfort: Maybe since its barely a week old, suspensions & shocks is good.

Performance & handling: This machine goes where you want it to go in a snap. Goes really well on curves & slaloms. The timing is really quick.

Brakes: I got the one with the 4 disc brakes btw. Very smooth.

I just love looking at the lancer at the front right or front left of it. Looks like a mean shark. (just like the '96 gallant). I love how the designer (Norihiko Yoshimine) have created the lines. Both have a timeless racy modern design.

Speed: Well, its a 2.0 liter Mivec engine. Engine response is very quick. In edsa, i was able to speed up from 20kph to 120kph in mere seconds. Great great machine!

Fuel Consumption: 6.5kpl average (not bad for a pretty quick car)

Others: Aircon not that quick to chill. (& to think we havent had a real sunny day since i got the car...so im thinking if summer comes, im fried).

Summary: Aside from the shitty interior (which technically can be altered with just a few thousand pesos), i fell in love with the Lancer EX.

Mitsubishi knew what market to target with this one. They didn't really give any importance with the interior, armrest is too low, side view mirror switches is at an arm & a halfs length.. air condition blower is not up to parr, glove compartment fits just a few cds, i could go on still.

But what they did was to compensate for the speed, the handling and the agility of the car in road turns, and it all did that & excelled effortlessly!

....& I even love the color.

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/11055828*N05/3811918215/[/IMG]

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    as they always say, as long as your happy then its all good

CKD(complete knockdown) from Japan..durable??