New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Just want ti get some input from other galant owner with the same experience.

So far the car's engine is running smoothly only the check engine light is ON.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Sir, the purpose of the electrician is to check the integrity of your wiring going to the MAF sensor and not to open up it up. The MAF sensor can't be opened since it is sealed. If wirings are noted to be in good shape with good continuity then only then that you can say that your MAF sensor is at fault. What you can do is detach the MAF sensor from the intake tube (and from its wiring). Disconnect also the negative terminal of your battery before removing the MAF sensor. You will note that the part of the MAF sensor dipped in the intake tube have a 2-3 pcs of fine wire probe. DO NOT TOUCH the wires! Next, spray liberal amount of electronics contact cleaner (rubber/plastic-safe type) on the wire probes until you see their exposed entirety clean and free from carbon deposits. Replace the MAF sensor and battery and start you car. Wait for at least 10 mins idling and note if the "CHECK ENG" disappear. If not, you have a bad MAF sensor and you need to change it. Since it is an electronic sensor, brandew is still preferred but a Surplus unit in good shape will suit you just fine...

Oh BTW, sir. Check also if the oxygen sensor (located on your exhaust manifold downwards) if it is still in good shape. These sensors deteriorate overtime not to mention your car is a late 90's model. This can also light up your MIL...

If you have a friend with the same car, you can borrow his MAF sensor and try it on your car so as to narrow down things. The MUT (eng scan), however, locates specific sensors at fault..

cheers

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    Sir, the purpose of the electrician is to check the integrity of your wiring going to the MAF sensor and not to open up it up. The MAF sensor can't be opened since it is sealed. If wirings are noted to be in good shape with good continuity then only then that you can say that your MAF sensor is at fault. What you can do is detach the MAF sensor from the intake tube (and from its wiring). Disconnect also the negative terminal of your battery before removing the MAF sensor. You will note that the part of the MAF sensor dipped in the intake tube have a 2-3 pcs of fine wire probe. DO NOT TOUCH the wires! Next, spray liberal amount of electronics contact cleaner (rubber/plastic-safe type) on the wire probes until you see their exposed entirety clean and free from carbon deposits. Replace the MAF sensor and battery and start you car. Wait for at least 10 mins idling and note if the "CHECK ENG" disappear. If not, you have a bad MAF sensor and you need to change it. Since it is an electronic sensor, brandew is still preferred but a Surplus unit in good shape will suit you just fine...

cheers
    Thanks for the clarification.

But since the engine is running smoothly can i live it as it is for now ?

I just worry that if i do the cleaning i might damage more the MAF and the engine will manifest some jerking etc

BTW after cleaning it and re installing it, will the check engine light just go away if it is not bad or do i need to have it erased by an engine analyzer ?

thanks.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tigermj View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

But since the engine is running smoothly can i live it as it is for now ?

I just worry that if i do the cleaning i might damage more the MAF and the engine will manifest some jerking etc

BTW after cleaning it and re installing it, will the check engine light just go away if it is not bad or do i need to have it erased by an engine analyzer ?

thanks.

If after cleaning and your MAF sensor proves to be still in good shape, yes the "CHECK ENG" light will disappear but the error code is stored in the ECU's memory. The "CEL" disappears since now the MAF sensor is giving the right input needed by the ECU to adjust the optimum air-fuel mixture. Don't be afraid in cleaning your MAF sensor since you have nothing to lose.

Lighted MIL as "CEL" as mentioned previously, will not leave you stranded but your engine consumes more fuel than necessary and will eat your wallet down the drain. Idling too, will be erratic sooner or later

cheers!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    If after cleaning and your MAF sensor proves to be still in good shape, yes the "CHECK ENG" light will disappear but the error code is stored in the ECU's memory. The "CEL" disappears since now the MAF sensor is giving the right input needed by the ECU to adjust the optimum air-fuel mixture. Don't be afraid in cleaning your MAF sensor since you have nothing to lose.

Lighted MIL as "CEL" as mentioned previously, will not leave you stranded but your engine consumes more fuel than necessary and will eat your wallet down the drain. Idling too, will be erratic sooner or later

cheers!
    Thanks. Hopefully it will last till after the holidays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
check engine light - galant shark