New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    looks like the turbo-zet thingie... wherein they placed a "cooling fan" (the size of it is similar to the cooling fan of your computer.

for one, it can actually cause partial blockage of air into your engine at high rpm. at idle it might help but are there test results to verify this claim?
    I agree with sir MazdaMazda, if the airflow needed by the engine is faster than the rate of airflow the fan can supply air, it may eventually choking airflow supply. Pero kung 'yong blades nung fan ay mas 'see-true' (mas maliliit) kesa dun sa standard CPU fan blades, baka okay lang kasi kung di na makapag-cope up 'yong fan sa airflow, dere-deretso na lang 'yong hangin.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the problem is that they can only SMELL the exhaust when the vehicle is in idle.

but what happens when the engine is already moving as it may already block the passage and cause the opposite by enrichin the air-fuel ratio.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hmmm... good question there... so what you are saying is that this may only be effective in idling but may be a cause for a different problem when the vehicle is in motion as this may serve as a blockage in that situation...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung naging mas mausok ka sa hard acceleration at sa high speed after installing that gadget, eh...hindi ayos...
    sana determined ang max. air volume na kayang ibigay ng fan, that matches the air intake requirement of the 4d56 engine...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I've shared the comments here with the person who did the setup. Here are his comments...

"The comments are quite correct as expected. The objective was not to seek any increase in power, minimal or drastic, but more of a more efficient burn at idle and during the engine's roll-off from a standstill like at the start of acceleration.

I had considered the possibility of air blockage at high speeds, to which I have always maintained that nothing beats a clean and efficient air filter, something like the ones used for racing mods. The trick there is to keep the air through a racing air filter as cold as possible.

Overall, on high speeds, there would be some physical restrictions at the air intake hose. But for those who've seen or used a "turbonator" or vortex valve, the fan would the act as a "swirl-device". One option that I haven't put in the set-up yet is a switch to turn off the fan at high rev's through a micro switch adapted to the accelerator linkage. Not only will this switch extend the lifespan of the fan, it would allow the fan to act as a static vortex valve at high rev's.

My guess is the physical restriction of the fan at the air intake side would be about the same as the physical properties of a brand new air filter element after 2 -3 weeks of use.
    Bottom-line, I suppose, is how much air is eventually drawn into the induction system at all engine speeds. "

He'd be happy to hear more comments or suggestions...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    swirl device? turbonator? vortex valve?

- Engines already have high levels of turbulence, and the physics is well understood
    - Adding more turbulence can give only a tiny fuel economy benefit - this is proved by experiment
    - Ignition must be adjusted to suit the faster burn, or the effect will be worse economy
    - Increased turbulence at full load will most likely damage the engine unless the ignition is retarded
    - Anything in the inlet manifold is extremely unlikely to affect in-cylinder air motion anyway
    In a nutshell, a swirl device (as used by selectively by MB, Audi, Ford) will only work if it is located close to the combustion chamber. If it is still located too far away, the swirl generated would be negated as the air travels along the air hose & intake manifold. Plus, there is no verifiable results if a swirl effect is actually being produced - and if there is a verifiable swirl effect the ignition timing should also be adjusted.

Btw, the airspeed past the throttle is already around 200-300 meters per second at part-throttle. Am not too sure if a computer fan can generate that much airspeed.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    as said in the 2nd to the last post, it will act as a less retrictive air filter....I doubt it...since this will also act as a hindrance, even when not in motion...but then...to mazda's post...well that is more understandable.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    so there is still a glitch to the design that needs to be addressed... hmmm... any suggestions? yung pwedeng DIY lang din... yuo know, pang-hobby kind-a-thing... there must be a way to make it work better...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    tanggalin ang filters? :D joke joke joke!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
adventure air setup mod - comments please