New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    lostlamb of wrxfanatics.com is asking about some replacement cars and one choice was the 98-00 USDM montero. he posted this one below and is this a known issue with the local variants as well, aside from the USDM? i'd say this equates to a gen2.5 na 4x4, kaya lang they don't have the 4m40 engine.

Recall Date: MAR 04, 1999
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Potential Units Affected: 10000
    Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4-WHEEL DRIVE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD BE VENTED ONTO THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM AS A RESULT OF UNANTICIPATED HEAT GENERATION IN THE TRANSMISSION.
    Consequence: THE VENTED TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM AND IGNITION OF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD RESULT.
    Remedy: DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT TO LIMIT VEHICLE SPEED TO BELOW APPROXIMATELY 30 MILES PER HOUR WHEN THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED IN THE FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE, AN ADDITIONAL LABEL DESCRIBING THE PROPER USE OF FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE WILL BE PROVIDED, AND WILL RELOCATE THE TRANSMISSION BREATHER VENT. IN ADDITION, THE OWNER'S MANUAL WILL BE CORRECTED WITH THE PROPER INFORMATION TO REFLECT THE CHANGE TO THE SPEED LIMITATIONS IN THE FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE.
    Notes: MITSUBISHI AMERICA, SR-99-001
    Last edited by nugundam93; November 16th, 2005 at 04:49 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    james,
    d ka yata affected kasi 4x2 ka, yung mga 99 namn na pajero natin ay mostly manual tranny so kaunti lang talaga...but i hope those pajero guys na 4x4 and auto tranny reads this.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmm i see. sana nga the 4x4 matic pajero peeps could also post. mejo napapasales talk na ako kay lostlamb. hahahaha!

other choices niya kasi include the 88-89 landcruiser, land rover discovery, subaru legacy GT, minivan...

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    How about the 91Montero 4x4 auto din yon V6 engine affected din kaya?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Only a certain batch was affected.

And the problem happens only when operating at high speeds in low range.

How many of us actually drive more than 30mph at low range?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    i see. i'll pass the word on to lostlamb. any idea on how to identify if it was that affected batch?

as an additional question, what would be good stores for hop-up parts for the USDM montero? of course in the US. ang alam ko is tirerack for tires, rims, brakes...dunno about the others.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diesel ba ung mga lumalabas na montero lately from the casa ng mitsu?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    yeah. naubos na yung gas gen3 pajeros from the casa eh.

pero the 98-00 usdm montero shempre never had the 4m40 variant. just the 6g74.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depends on how he wants to hop it up.

Roger brown makes body lifts and rock sliders (he has a website).

The guys at 4x4wire.com have different parts sources for different applications.

They also contact me for some parts (e.g. badges, lamps, etc.).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ahhh i see. i'll pass the word :D

'98-'00 montero question