New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Hi Tsikoteers,

I'm a newbie in the world of diesel engines and I was wondering how to adjust the choke valve(not sure if I got the term right). In the user manual, it says to pull the choke thingy around 10 mm. But when I tried pulling it I can't. It only rotates around 1/4 of the way....so my question is. What is the default choke setting for a 96 pajero, is it all the way to the left or all the way to the right? Appreciate any help I can get.

Much Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The one in front of your right knee? It's a hand throttle, you use it to control line speed if you have an OEM [PTO type] winch (also detailed in the manual).

You only have to fiddle with it if you are warming up your Pajero in sub zero weather (e.g. if your unit is in Iceland).

You have to 'unscrew' the knob a bit first before you can pull it (it has a safety lock).

Default position of the knob is pushed all the way in with the safety lock engaged.

Hope that helps.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Otep for taking the time to reply to my query. Yes it's the one in front of my right knee. So turning it all the way to the left or to the right has no effect because of the safety lock? Cool!!! I'm also going to try and put in your mod with the washers for the turbo. thanks Again!!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The one in front of your right knee? It's a hand throttle, you use it to control line speed if you have an OEM [PTO type] winch (also detailed in the manual).

You only have to fiddle with it if you are warming up your Pajero in sub zero weather (e.g. if your unit is in Iceland).

You have to 'unscrew' the knob a bit first before you can pull it (it has a safety lock).

Default position of the knob is pushed all the way in with the safety lock engaged.

Hope that helps.
    in othr words, useless yan sa philippines.hehehehe.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's pretty useless locally. Turning it left and right won't do anything except release the lock. It's pulling it that will raise your revs. It's connected via bike cable to the gas pedal. When you pull it, watch your gas pedal go down.

It's like a magic [sabi sa commercial]

The only time I used it is when I had to jumpstart another diesel vehicle and I wanted the engine revved up.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

96 Pajero Choke Valve