New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    been pondering this for a bit now.

suppose anything is possible. replace my current 3.5 V6 6G74 engine with a diesel unit - either a 2.8 or preferably a 3.2 DiD? its gonna be a hell of a job. think wiring, engine management, transmission etc... is this path worth it?

i think i'm at the point where its rebuild/overhaul vs full conversion. i'm leaning towards diesel coz well, this thing can chow juice!

Otherwise perhaps sell the Pajero and get a diesel Land Cruiser...

thoughts anyone?

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Ive seen 6G72 change to 4D56 TDIC. They change the engine together with the tranny and no conversion made except for the transmission support they move it a couple inch.No problem with the wiring and the fuel line no major alteration.

6G74, I think is another story coz it is a GDI engine and it is bigger than 6G72 but I think it can be done.

Just in case you want to sell your Pajero I'm interested.

BTW 4M40 cost around 100K to 120K with the tranny surplus japan.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    How far will you drive it?

THe problem with an old surplus conversion is that you're never sure of the condition of the engine you're putting in. Doing it with a newer DiD is a safer bet, but the expense will not be offset by lower gas bills.

Wanna try LPG?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    wow... a nice engine convesion... the 3.2 DiD... Why not consider the 4D56 DiD... I think it is a much cheaper engine.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    tell me more about the 4D56? is that the 2.8?

i'm just scheming at the moment. depends on what i find available at the breakers, at this point overhaul is most probable.

anyways i intend to keep the vehicle for a while... hence the question with slapping in a newer engine. i use the pajero solely for trekking/camping/fishing trips so.. just wishing i was back home - iba talaga ang mekanik na pinoy. mabilis pa makahanap ng parts. mitsu parts/techies are hard to come by and expensive in africa

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    The 4D56 is the 2.5L engine seen on the L300. Pero meron na pong bagong 2.5L CRDi whichi is more powerful than the 2.8L 4M40 Pajero engine.

Pwede naman ata i-LPG conversion mo sir. Mas better po yun and its still a V6. You can try searching for class A LPG equipment in Europe via the net or in Africa.
    iam3739.com

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    x2 on LPG kits. Spend maybe 50-80k pesos on a good one (about what a good surplus turbodiesel will cost you... though DiD surplus engines might cost upwards of 150k... )... errh... spend maybe 50-80k on a good LPG kit with electronic metering, and you'll get a kit that will provide you about 90% of the fuel efficiency of your stock gasoline system (cheaper kits get 70-80%), but with a fuel that costs 1/2 as much.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

'96 NJ Pajero: 3.5V6 to DiD conversion... feasible?