New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    But even then I see mor 2.0 Civic's and 1.8L Altis than 2.0 Lancer's which all are roughly in the same category.
    maybe you're just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I see a lot of them (both variants) in the south area specially Cavite/Laguna area, almost everyday.

Maybe it's not selling as much as the civics and the altis but it doesn't mean it's a flop.

IMO it depends on the marketing of the MMCPH eh, if they brought in X number of cars only because they expect that X number of customers are going to buy them, then I guess it's not a flop.

But if they brought in a "bunch" of them and only a small percentage bought it, then I guess it's a flop.

That's how I see though.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    For me it's not a flop, but its a limited type edition release as it caters on the 2-liter segment. Kaya lang too much expectation na papalitan nila yung previous generation with the same engine category. So many Mitsu loyals still bought the superseded model which I see more on the roads. If the new Lancer could have been released with 1.6 or 1.8 variants, then that's easy to know how they share the market. But to have this cheaper version of the EVO is a plus+++.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    sa akin lang, why the 08 lancer flopped:

1. price - P990 to P1.2M; obviously expensive when compared to the 1.8L cars (though priced just about right for the 2L vehicles; i think it may even be the cheapest 2L japanese car in the market)

2. timing - with gas prices soaring, economy cars rule

3. availability - not enough units

4. strategy - should have competed with the likes of the subaru impreza, mazda 6, etc. instead; should have stressed the fact that it was a world model; CBU from Japan

nonetheless, i still bought one. more for the eye candy than anything else. para kasi sa akin, it's the closest i'll ever get to something that resembles an evo,

also, i like the fact that i drive something that's not as common as a civic or altis (no offense intended).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    nonetheless, i still bought one. more for the eye candy than anything else. para kasi sa akin, it's the closest i'll ever get to something that resembles an evo,
    Too bad its more eye candy for you because the new Lancer 2.0 it's really a good car to drive on the race track or some deserted curvy roads straight from the showroom.

I had the opportunity to drive it (Lancer GT and GT-A models) pretty hard and it just asks for more.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 2.0 model's don't need to sell like hotcakes. Because they are still selling the older body car to fill in the lower end of the segment.

Even Honda and Toyota don't sell as much of their big engined models as they do the lower end ones. Just so happens Mitsu sells a different car instead of selling a stripper version of the current MX, GT, GT-A models.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Take note, too...

This new Lancer is huge... the size of an 89 Galant.

If you'd told me, fifteen years ago, that I could buy a Galant for the same price as a top-of-the-line Corolla... I'd say you were nuts. Nowadays... that's exactly what you're getting... a Galant Fortis.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    sa akin lang, why the 08 lancer flopped:

1. price - P990 to P1.2M; obviously expensive when compared to the 1.8L cars (though priced just about right for the 2L vehicles; i think it may even be the cheapest 2L japanese car in the market)

2. timing - with gas prices soaring, economy cars rule

3. availability - not enough units

4. strategy - should have competed with the likes of the subaru impreza, mazda 6, etc. instead; should have stressed the fact that it was a world model; CBU from Japan

also, i like the fact that i drive something that's not as common as a civic or altis (no offense intended).
    Hehe ako rin noong una na love at first sight, pero nung kinompare ko yung features ng lancer sa iba panalo din...

Kahit madaming kumokontra (friends and relatives alike) nag lancer parin ako lahat sila toyota or honda kasi dahil subok na...subok saan? yung 99 VTI namin 2 years lang sira na mga lock at bintana Tsaka bibili ka na din lang ng sasakyan dun na sa gusto mo at alam mo na tuwing mamanehoin mo happy ka dahil tadtad sa goodies hindi dahil sikat lang yung brand...
    Yung resale value naman depende naman sa pag aalaga mo ng sasakyan..toyota man yan o honda kung laspag at mabantot di din mabebenta sa presyong gusto mo

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Panalo sigurado ang diesel version nito (but I hope they put a decent turbocharger in it).

BMW 2.0 diesel now produces 204hp

Hyundai-KIA's 2.2L CRDI VGT produces 186hp/412Nm.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Take note, too...

This new Lancer is huge... the size of an 89 Galant.

If you'd told me, fifteen years ago, that I could buy a Galant for the same price as a top-of-the-line Corolla... I'd say you were nuts. Nowadays... that's exactly what you're getting... a Galant Fortis.
    Very good observation...

Anyway, it seems to appeal to a younger set who view this car as a "performance sedan -one that provides an extra-uumph to a daily driven one" and/or as a "econosport car" if there is such a thing.

It would be interesting to note how the market reacts between this and diesel sedans.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    yung Lancer DI-D sana lumabas dito sa pinas (Pogi looks + fuel economy and power of a diesel)
    kaya lang ayon sa mga nabasa kong reviews
    di daw ganun ka refined yung Diesel engine (which is said to be a Volkswagen engine)

sa ngayon Focus TDCi pa rin ako

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Is the 2008 Lancer a market flop??