New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire View Post
    4D56: 100 hp; timing belt, manually adjustable valve tappet settings, manifestly longer turbo lag (can be corrected via manual boost controller), higher tendency to emit smoke (can be corrected by frequent/regular pms and use of biodiesel)

4M40: 125 hp; timing chain, self-adjusting valve tappet settings, bigger diameter exhaust manifolds, better acceleration, lesser turbo lag, better emission performance due to more efficient mechanism to mix air/fuel, more sensitive reaction to biodiesel (better fuel burn, improved fuel economy, and improved engine performance), more capable of pulling the heavy body of the pajero.

in the long run, 4M40 may prove to be cheaper to maintain.
    older 4d56 turbos are rated 84 brake hp (first gen pajero). the newer ones (i think after 1993) gives 100.

and yes i agree (again), that in the long run, 4M40 may prove to be cheaper to maintain.

andami ko na kaya nagastos sa 56 ko. halos timing belt ang kumain sa budget.

pero as per my review on the service manual the 4M40 does not have self adjusting valves. yes the rocker arm-shaft assy is absent but the adjustment of valve clearance is via a shim located in between the camshaft lobe and the end of the valve. a simple math work is involved here since you have to measure the gap while its installed as well as the indicated size on the installed shim and take into account the wear on the cam lobes and available shim sizes at auto stores.
    Last edited by miked; June 7th, 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added info

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    older 4d56 turbos are rated 84 brake hp (first gen pajero). the newer ones (i think after 1993) gives 100.

and yes i agree (again), that in the long run, 4M40 may prove to be cheaper to maintain.

andami ko na kaya nagastos sa 56 ko. halos timing belt ang kumain sa budget.

pero as per my review on the service manual the 4M40 does not have self adjusting valves. yes the rocker arm-shaft assy is absent but the adjustment of valve clearance is via a shim located in between the camshaft lobe and the end of the valve. a simple math work is involved here since you have to measure the gap while its installed as well as the indicated size on the installed shim and take into account the wear on the cam lobes and available shim sizes at auto stores.
    Kelangan pa rin pala i-pa-adjust valve clearance. Pa-check ko nga saken.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2.8 L Pajero engine