New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PK, patulong ka kaya sa mga SSITP boys?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tawagan ko mamaya. malamang sila rin magsesetup nito pagdating hehe.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yung gamit namin sa office is a standalone unit. LinkSys WAP 11 directly connected to a switch (router). It has its own embedded software that can be accessed using a PC (more like a SSH or TELNET). Wala gaanong configurations just added the IP's that can connect to the WAP 11.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PK, sorry bro i don't have first hand experience with WAP 11. But all Linksys products are fairly easy to install and configure.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    If it is just a standalone WLAN, it would be very basic. It has the same principle of hub and spoke principle of Switches. Just take out all the running cables and you are in WLAN configuration. The differences are Access Point which is equivalent to the switch and Wireless PC card which is NIC card to the wired LAN. The only hindrance in consideration is distance limitations of WLAN. Distance will be determined by the power radiated by the antenna and interference on some areas. It cannot penetrate enclosed areas with metallic walls. And mostly WLAN operates at 11 Mbps bandwidth which is already an obsolete Ethernet speed.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Armand,

I recently installed a wireless setup dito sa unit namin sa Robinsons. I have a PLDT DSL kasi dito and I wanted me and my sister to surf anywhere in our unit using our laptops without the need for cables. So what I did was go to Villman and purchase 2 PCMCIA wireless cards for our laptops and 1 DSL/CABLE wireless router. Here are the models:

Linksys BEFW11S4 - EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router
    with 4-Port Switch

http://www.villman.com.ph/products/s...s/befw11s4.asp

Linksys WPC11 - Instant Wireless Network PC Card

http://www.villman.com.ph/products/s...ksys/wpc11.asp

The wireless router is then connected to my DSL modem via an RJ45 connection. Of course, both are on all the time. Setting up is a breeze with the Linksys step by step process. I highly recommend this.

However, if your office already has an existing LAN, then you don't use the DSL/Cable modem wireless router. What you need is the Linksys WAP11 - Instant Wireless Network Access Point

http://www.villman.com.ph/products/s...ksys/wap11.asp

Hope this helps.

7. FrankDrebin Guest
    Originally posted by doublea
    And mostly WLAN operates at 11 Mbps bandwidth which is already an obsolete Ethernet speed.
    ...hmmm so low Ethernet speed means slow data connection?

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    I also recently connected my home PC to a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) to setup a home network and share my DSL connection and it was fairly easy. All you need to do is to connect the DSL modem to the Linksys and connect my PC directly to the router via RJ45.

The rest of the notebooks connect wirelessly to the linksys. Everything was fairly straightforward except for setting up the security options for wireless (WEP and MAC filtering).

The router is standalone in the sense that the wireless notebooks can connect to the internet even if the wired PC is turned off.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by FrankDrebin
    ...hmmm so low Ethernet speed means slow data connection?
    Wireless-B is 802.11b protocol which has a maximum data rate up to 11Mbps. This is ideal if you use connections that are less than 11Mbps for example a DSL or cable connection. However, a newer protocol exists called the Wireless-G 802.11g which supports a maximum data rate of 54Mbps. This is ideal if you have an existing LAN and would like to expand it wirelessly. Wireless-G is slightly more expensive than Wireless-B. Linksys even has routers already that support both protocols

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    Thnx WTMD!

I need more feedbacks re: WLAN. Anymore negative remarks aside from its price, distance thingie, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless LAN considerations (Saklolo Deux)