New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Got this from email, just like to share it with you.

The Wealthiest Filipino...
    not on Forbes List

Engineer Diosdado 'Dado' Banatao
    "The Filipino Computer Guru" [Image Removed] What do Filipino American
    entrepreneurs Elizabeth Rivera, Rodolfo Dorilag and Diosdado Banatao have in
    common?

All of them own multimillion dollar companies in California's high tech center,
    the Silicon Valley in Santa Clara. While Rivera owns RiveraTech Multimedia,
    Dorilag has Micro-Integration Engineering.

Banatao holds many lucrative companies.

An Ilocano and Ibanag speaking engineer, he hails from Barrio Malabbac, Iguig
    Town, Cagayan Province in Northern Luzon Island, Philippines.

He finished electrical engineering Cum Laude at Manila's Mapua Institute of
    Technology.

A pioneer in graphics acceleration, he introduced the semiconductor industry's
    first single-chip graphical user interface accelerator which significantly
    enhanced the performance of today's PC's.

This chip is now found in at least nine out of 10 PC motherboards. It was also
    Dado's genius that gave the world the first Ethernet controller chip that
    enabled computers to link up and to
    communicate with one another and the first chip set that significantly reduced
    the complexity of the personal computer.

By the time IBM introduced the personal computer in the early 1980's, Banatao
    was already deep in chip technology research and experimentation. He immediately
    saw that the computer chip had to be redesigned to make it more compact and
    cheaper to produce.

Under his own companies, Mostron and Chips & Technology, he developed the chip
    set for the PC that made the personal computer affordable to millions of people.
    He was also founder and past CEO of othercomputer-related multimillion dollar
    companies, including California's S3, Inc. which makes high-speed video chips.
    Never content until an invention of his could be made accessible to many,
    Banatao has had the satisfaction of knowing that the products of his genius
    continue to benefit not only Silicon Valley but also the Philippines and the
    rest of the world.

"I have lowered the cost of the computer, made it high performance. If you look
    at the names in the U.S. that have made a tremendous impact on the PC, I would
    be one of them," he said. When
    inquired by the Philippine Daily Inquirer about American business monopolies:
    "Do you think Bill Gates has learned his lesson or...? You think they'd easily
    give in?"

His response was, "Not Bill Gates. He's a very shrewd businessman. He is plain
    good, that's why Microsoft is Microsoft. Microsoft is not successful by
    accident. They are very good! [Grins] His human side, I heard--because I don't
    interact with him--that he's not fun to be around with. [Laughter] Maybe he just
    doesn't know how to enjoy himself."

Banatao flies his own plane, someting he learned right after college. He told
    the Inquirer, "I splurge on airplanes; I have one now and I have ordered a
    business jet and I'm about to buy a turbine. I
    splurge on very high-performance cars--a Porsche. I splurge on resort
    properties, like in Lake Tahoe and Sonoma, San Francisco."

He is married to a Filipina, the former Maria Cariaga, an educational
    psychologist. The two have two boys and one girl. The eldest son is a future
    Ph.D. in bio-informatics, a combination of biology and computer science. The
    second son graduated in 1999 from the University of California at Berkeley with
    a degree in material science. The youngest child is still at UCB

Banatao's Contributions to the Computer Industry:

1. First single-chip, 16-bit microprocessor- based calculator (while at
    Commodore in 1976)
    2. First single-chip MicroVAX for Digital Equipment
    3. First 10-Mbit Ethernet CMOS with silicon coupler data-link control and
    transreceiver chip; got
    3Com into the Ethernet PC add-in card business (while at Seeq in early
    1980s)
    4. First system logic chip set for the PC-XT and the PC-AT (while at Mostron in
    1984 and Chips
    and Technologies in 1985)
    5. First enhanced graphics adapter chip set (while at Chips and Technologies in
    1985)
    6. Pioneered local bus concept for PC (while at S3 in 1989)
    7. First Windows accelerator chip (while at S3 in 1990)
    8. Chips & Techs - acquired by Intel

The following article can be found at Filipinology Resources:
    The Wall Street Journal & Filipinas Magazine (May 1998)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Filipino richer than Tan, Sy and Zobel combined?

By Emil Jurado

There is one Filipino, who is totally unknown to many, who may have been missed
    by Forbes Magazine among its list of billionaires.

This Filipino with his Filipino wife, now a Fil-Am living at Atherton,
    California in a $20 million house (Bill Gates, the no. 1 in the list at more
    than $50 billion has a $50 million house in Seattle), is
    estimated to have a $5 billion fortune, according to those who knew him, because
    of a computer chip he invented used by every computer you buy.His name is
    Conrado "Dado" Banatao, born in an Ibanag barangay called Maladbac at the town
    of Iguig, north of Tuguegarao, Cagayan
    province, who had to work as a parish priest sacristan to be able to pay for his
    tuition and other needs to be able to study at the Ateneo de Tuguegarao.

According to lawyer-sportsman- businessman "Boy" Reyno, who knew him in school,
    Banatao belonged to "Class C" of average students. After graduation in 1961, he
    went on to study electrical
    engineering at Mapua Institute of Technology after which he was hired by PAL and
    worked in California. Soon enough, Banatao worked at the Silicon Valley where he
    made his fortune.

Banatao flies his two Lear Jets to New York and other US capitals and has about
    20 venture capital firms to his name. He is relatively unknown, because he
    doesn't go around publicizing his name. He had been to the Philippines several
    times, trying to interest tycoons like Jaime
    Zobel de Ayala to join hands with him. In fact, he's a trustee of Ayala
    International.

Bank and insurance taipan Al Yuchengco wanted Banatao to be his partner at
    Mapua, but the latter declined because he had no time for the academe. However,
    Banatao is willing to share with Filipinos his experience. He has been donating
    a lot to worthwhile Filipino projects.

Banatao's story could well go down in Philippine history as the story of a poor
    boy who worked real hard, had a vision, patience, fortitude and discipline and
    would well be the richest Filipino alive, but is never mentioned by Forbes.
    --------

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    forwarded to forbes.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    viva mapua!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    mas mayaman pa si eddie gil.

kaya nya bayaran ang utang ng pilipinas.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Viva Ilokano!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Mapua...viva Mapua!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Viva Mapua! susme naging mapua thread hehe

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Got this from email, just like to share it with you.

The Wealthiest Filipino...
    not on Forbes List

Engineer Diosdado 'Dado' Banatao
    "The Filipino Computer Guru" [Image Removed] What do Filipino American
    entrepreneurs Elizabeth Rivera, Rodolfo Dorilag and Diosdado Banatao have in
    common?

All of them own multimillion dollar companies in California's high tech center,
    the Silicon Valley in Santa Clara. While Rivera owns RiveraTech Multimedia,
    Dorilag has Micro-Integration Engineering.

Banatao holds many lucrative companies.

An Ilocano and Ibanag speaking engineer, he hails from Barrio Malabbac, Iguig
    Town, Cagayan Province in Northern Luzon Island, Philippines.

He finished electrical engineering Cum Laude at Manila's Mapua Institute of
    Technology.

A pioneer in graphics acceleration, he introduced the semiconductor industry's
    first single-chip graphical user interface accelerator which significantly
    enhanced the performance of today's PC's.

This chip is now found in at least nine out of 10 PC motherboards. It was also
    Dado's genius that gave the world the first Ethernet controller chip that
    enabled computers to link up and to
    communicate with one another and the first chip set that significantly reduced
    the complexity of the personal computer.

By the time IBM introduced the personal computer in the early 1980's, Banatao
    was already deep in chip technology research and experimentation. He immediately
    saw that the computer chip had to be redesigned to make it more compact and
    cheaper to produce.

Under his own companies, Mostron and Chips & Technology, he developed the chip
    set for the PC that made the personal computer affordable to millions of people.
    He was also founder and past CEO of othercomputer-related multimillion dollar
    companies, including California's S3, Inc. which makes high-speed video chips.
    Never content until an invention of his could be made accessible to many,
    Banatao has had the satisfaction of knowing that the products of his genius
    continue to benefit not only Silicon Valley but also the Philippines and the
    rest of the world.

"I have lowered the cost of the computer, made it high performance. If you look
    at the names in the U.S. that have made a tremendous impact on the PC, I would
    be one of them," he said. When
    inquired by the Philippine Daily Inquirer about American business monopolies:
    "Do you think Bill Gates has learned his lesson or...? You think they'd easily
    give in?"

His response was, "Not Bill Gates. He's a very shrewd businessman. He is plain
    good, that's why Microsoft is Microsoft. Microsoft is not successful by
    accident. They are very good! [Grins] His human side, I heard--because I don't
    interact with him--that he's not fun to be around with. [Laughter] Maybe he just
    doesn't know how to enjoy himself."

Banatao flies his own plane, someting he learned right after college. He told
    the Inquirer, "I splurge on airplanes; I have one now and I have ordered a
    business jet and I'm about to buy a turbine. I
    splurge on very high-performance cars--a Porsche. I splurge on resort
    properties, like in Lake Tahoe and Sonoma, San Francisco."

He is married to a Filipina, the former Maria Cariaga, an educational
    psychologist. The two have two boys and one girl. The eldest son is a future
    Ph.D. in bio-informatics, a combination of biology and computer science. The
    second son graduated in 1999 from the University of California at Berkeley with
    a degree in material science. The youngest child is still at UCB

Banatao's Contributions to the Computer Industry:

1. First single-chip, 16-bit microprocessor- based calculator (while at
    Commodore in 1976)
    2. First single-chip MicroVAX for Digital Equipment
    3. First 10-Mbit Ethernet CMOS with silicon coupler data-link control and
    transreceiver chip; got
    3Com into the Ethernet PC add-in card business (while at Seeq in early
    1980s)
    4. First system logic chip set for the PC-XT and the PC-AT (while at Mostron in
    1984 and Chips
    and Technologies in 1985)
    5. First enhanced graphics adapter chip set (while at Chips and Technologies in
    1985)
    6. Pioneered local bus concept for PC (while at S3 in 1989)
    7. First Windows accelerator chip (while at S3 in 1990)
    8. Chips & Techs - acquired by Intel

The following article can be found at Filipinology Resources:
    The Wall Street Journal & Filipinas Magazine (May 1998)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Filipino richer than Tan, Sy and Zobel combined?

By Emil Jurado

There is one Filipino, who is totally unknown to many, who may have been missed
    by Forbes Magazine among its list of billionaires.

This Filipino with his Filipino wife, now a Fil-Am living at Atherton,
    California in a $20 million house (Bill Gates, the no. 1 in the list at more
    than $50 billion has a $50 million house in Seattle), is
    estimated to have a $5 billion fortune, according to those who knew him, because
    of a computer chip he invented used by every computer you buy.His name is
    Conrado "Dado" Banatao, born in an Ibanag barangay called Maladbac at the town
    of Iguig, north of Tuguegarao, Cagayan
    province, who had to work as a parish priest sacristan to be able to pay for his
    tuition and other needs to be able to study at the Ateneo de Tuguegarao.

According to lawyer-sportsman- businessman "Boy" Reyno, who knew him in school,
    Banatao belonged to "Class C" of average students. After graduation in 1961, he
    went on to study electrical
    engineering at Mapua Institute of Technology after which he was hired by PAL and
    worked in California. Soon enough, Banatao worked at the Silicon Valley where he
    made his fortune.

Banatao flies his two Lear Jets to New York and other US capitals and has about
    20 venture capital firms to his name. He is relatively unknown, because he
    doesn't go around publicizing his name. He had been to the Philippines several
    times, trying to interest tycoons like Jaime
    Zobel de Ayala to join hands with him. In fact, he's a trustee of Ayala
    International.

Bank and insurance taipan Al Yuchengco wanted Banatao to be his partner at
    Mapua, but the latter declined because he had no time for the academe. However,
    Banatao is willing to share with Filipinos his experience. He has been donating
    a lot to worthwhile Filipino projects.

Banatao's story could well go down in Philippine history as the story of a poor
    boy who worked real hard, had a vision, patience, fortitude and discipline and
    would well be the richest Filipino alive, but is never mentioned by Forbes.
    --------

The second article by Emil Jurado, is not accurate. The name is not Conrado, it's Diosdado. I also don't think he's richer than the three combined. I'm not even sure he's richer than Ayala, Sy or Tan separately.

He also doesn't have 20 venture capital firms. AFAIK, he only has several which he is personally involved in. These firms have investments in other companies. Now those will total 20 or above.

After attending Mapua, he studied at PAL to become a pilot. But before becoming one, I think it was Boeing who hired him and brought him to the US.

I've met him several times. He's a very down to earth person, given his stature. He's definitely one of the richer Filipinos. Or at least Filipino decent. I'm not sure he's a Filipino citizen anymore and that's why he's probably not on the Forbes list. I also don't think he has a $5 billion fortune. He would have definitely made the Forbes list of richest people in the world if that were the case. He's rich that's for sure.

Although he's rich now, he doesn't flaunt it in an obsence way. When you meet him in person he's simple. He dresses simply, acts simply and is very low key. He doesn't even have a driver or staff in the U.S. like most rich people do. Someone cleans their house for them but on a part-time basis. No maids or chauffers or anything like that. The only staff I know are the pilots for his planes.

Since this is tsikot and to keep it somewhat related, he does love cars, especially porsches. His current ride the last time I checked is a Carrera GT. His wife drives a Cayenne Turbo.

I'm really sad to see that Emil Jurado wrote such an erroneous article. He should have checked his facts first.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    ^^^^^^^^

this

:fly:

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Banatao for President!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
The Wealthiest Filipino...not on Forbes List