New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sometimes, the kid does bad in school because he does not like the course... not because he is dumb.
    maraming magulang na pinipilit ang kurso sa bata kahit ayaw nang bata..
    yung bata naman, hindi masabi sa magulang na ayaw nila yun dahil ayaw nilang masaktan sina mamah at papah..
    Our contention has always been that at 12 years old, the kid doesn't really know with finality what course he'd like to take in college, much less what career path he'd like to pursue after graduation.

Of course, DOST will have none of it. They train us to be adept at math and science and expect us to serve the country through those means. From what I noticed though, even my batchmates who are really passionate about the sciences end up with different careers because there's just no way to make a decent living working for the DOST or the academe as a researcher/prof.

Case in point, one of my close friends who was a Physics major in college (graduated Magna Cum Laude at DLSU), then also took his MS there, recently had to forgo his PhD studies since he had to find work to support his 2 younger siblings who're still studying. Hence, he ended up in the corporate world as well.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Our contention has always been that at 12 years old, the kid doesn't really know with finality what course he'd like to take in college, much less what career path he'd like to pursue after graduation.

Of course, DOST will have none of it. They train us to be adept at math and science and expect us to serve the country through those means. From what I noticed though, even my batchmates who are really passionate about the sciences end up with different careers because there's just no way to make a decent living working for the DOST or the academe as a researcher/prof.

Case in point, one of my close friends who was a Physics major in college (graduated Magna Cum Laude at DLSU), then also took his MS there, recently had to forgo his PhD studies since he had to find work to support his 2 younger siblings who're still studying. Hence, he ended up in the corporate world as well.
    touche!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Am observing the school activities of these science schools and it is a concern. Students barely have time for sleep and rest... In my assessment, they will not be able to complete their school projects without their parents' help...

IMO, i did fairly good in high school and in the university without help from my parents. But my school-personal life balance was much much much better than these kids....

And now the additional two years without so much thought from the government...

Ooh! Yeah! Being world class,- okay... The world is looking... Chill and just grit your teeth....

As if they know better than those who are world class themselves.... It is not the system stup!d, it is the attitude and the culture...

Times are a changin'

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    When we were looking for a school for my incoming Gr. 1 daughter, some parents claim that one of the better schools in our area is so academically proficient that the students only get a break on Sundays. Decided against that school. I want my child to be exposed to music, arts, sports, culture etc rather than just the books. I also want my child to enjoy school. I don't want her to get burned out.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Dito mo sa Australia paaralin.

Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    When we were looking for a school for my incoming Gr. 1 daughter, some parents claim that one of the better schools in our area is so academically proficient that the students only get a break on Sundays. Decided against that school. I want my child to be exposed to music, arts, sports, culture etc rather than just the books. I also want my child to enjoy school. I don't want her to get burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post

6. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Saan ok na chinese school? Kahit grade school lang

7. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacavanza View Post

Ganun ba Australia bro?

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacavanza View Post
    no need to look that far. any decent private or even public school in the country will expose his kid to such.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bambomboy View Post
    i recommend st jude but they dont accept transferee lang nga.

Quote Originally Posted by bambomboy View Post
    i recommend st jude but they dont accept transferee lang nga.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Am observing the school activities of these science schools and it is a concern. Students barely have time for sleep and rest... In my assessment, they will not be able to complete their school projects without their parents' help...

IMO, i did fairly good in high school and in the university without help from my parents. But my school-personal life balance was much much much better than these kids....

Ooh! Yeah! Being world class,- okay... The world is looking... Chill and just grit your teeth....

As if they know better than those who are world class themselves.... It is not the system stup!d, it is the attitude and the culture...

Times are a changin'
    pisay (at least the one in diliman) has a lot of free time for its students.. at least, as of the pre-K-12 curriculum.
    masay is the one with lotsa subjects crammed into its workweek.

alas, these schools are strictly "by invitation only"..

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Times are a changin'
    pisay (at least the one in diliman) has a lot of free time for its students.. at least, as of the pre-K-12 curriculum.
    masay is the one with lotsa subjects crammed into its workweek.

alas, these schools are strictly "by invitation only"..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast