New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by makyong View Post
    To extend the argument further,
    Stereo or multi-channel...
    I'm probably one of the few who prefer to hear my music in mono. Somehow, I'm not fond of hearing different musical instruments breaking off into different directions of origin and hearing some on my left ear and others on my right ear. I like hearing them together in both ears.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'm probably one of the few who prefer to hear my music in mono. Somehow, I'm not fond of hearing different musical instruments breaking off into different directions of origin and hearing some on my left ear and others on my right ear. I like hearing them together in both ears.
    That's a simplistic way of putting it.

More than just separating instruments, stereo provides a soundstage. When you close your eyes, you should be able to point to where the instrument is and how far it is from you. The little nuances like reverb and delays tells your brain where each sound is coming from, which provides for a more natural and enveloping sound experience.

Listening in mono is one of the most unnatural way to appreciate music. If you ever watched a live concert, you'd see the instrumentalists scattered on the stage and the sound from each of the individual instruments they play comes from where their amps are typically located. You don't see instrumentalists piled up on top of each other, do you? ;)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's a simplistic way of putting it.

More than just separating instruments, stereo provides a soundstage. When you close your eyes, you should be able to point to where the instrument is and how far it is from you. The little nuances like reverb and delays tells your brain where each sound is coming from, which provides for a more natural and enveloping sound experience.

Listening in mono is one of the most unnatural way to appreciate music. If you ever watched a live concert, you'd see the instrumentalists scattered on the stage and the sound from each of the individual instruments they play comes from where their amps are typically located. You don't see instrumentalists piled up on top of each other, do you? ;)
    I know it's natural to hear the different instruments coming from different directions like in a live performance. To me, it doesn't sound better though. I like it better when the sounds are blended together. There are certain songs where the blended sounds appeals more than hearing them separately.

It's even worse if one earphone goes bad. Then, you only hear part of the music whereas in mono, you can still hear the whole set of instruments even with just one earphone.

Now, in games, I like the directional separation of explosions and gunfire. It helps me localize the bad guys.

When I rip my music CDs to mp3, I always rip them as mono, albeit at a high bitrate.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 31st, 2017 at 11:32 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I know it's natural to hear the different instruments coming from different directions like in a live performance. To me, it doesn't sound better though. I like it better when the sounds are blended together. There are certain songs where the blended sounds appeals more than hearing them separately.

It's even worse if one earphone goes bad. Then, you only hear part of the music whereas in mono, you can still hear the whole set of instruments even with just one earphone.

Now, in games, I like the directional separation of explosions and gunfire. It helps me localize the bad guys.

When I rip my music CDs to mp3, I always rip them as mono, albeit at a high bitrate.
    Alan Blumlein just turned in his grave. :D

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Alan Blumlein just turned in his grave. :D
    True. But, he never had a set of cheap stereo headphones go bad on him. He He.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    "And if

All those

Plans I

Made don't

Melt a

Lady's heart

I'll put

On the

Old 45......"... BM

O di turntable nga...

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

33.1K _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123