New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    There are several misconception about 0%.

Merchant shouldered the interest for the customer on the installment basis. In effect the customer get it at 0%. Merchant actually give discount on cash because they earn more.

Electronics usually have only 8% margin. konti lang ang kita ng mga electronic stores. They usually get support from the distibutor to share the 0%. 6 months from the merchant 6 months from the distributor. so in effect they are only earning 2%. Thats why there are some merchant willing to give discounts. Clothes on the other hand have really big margins that can go more than 100%

Now the distributor you mention on Timog area was able to give bigger discount because they are also distributor, merchants can't compete to them.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    And no the retail price don't jack up. The distributor usually give out the standard retail price. But they usually sell lower, since distributor only support the SRP they have to follow that price to avail for support on 0%. in a way customer should be happy because the merchant give discounts already.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I availed of a 12-month 0% interest on an electronic item last year.

I asked the store how much it would be if I pay in cash. They told me it would be the same (amount).

I guess if you're buying from the same store, you won't get a discount. So, you have to go to the distributor(?) or somewhere else to get it....

2001:weathermanf2:

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I don't think 8% lang ang mark-up sa electronics. Over at pinoydvd.com, may mga retailers na willing to give 20% discount for CASH buyers sa 32" LCD TV's. May group buy nga dun, gusto ko sanang sumali, kaya lang kulang pa cash, and they plan to buy na this weekend. (Displays, Flat Panels thread)

My friend works at Canon Marketing, and he'll be the first to admit na retailers are making a killing on their products, kasi malaki nga mark-up nila, especially on their digital cameras and photocopiers.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    In a retail store products iPod, Palm and Canon P&S digital cam usually only have 8%. Canon sometimes give 10 to 12% and thats it. However for LCD TV i really say how much, I haven't deal with Home entertainment products.

Cellphones actually have lower margins in average. Merchant can't afford to stock up on cellphones because they depreciate very fast.

And don't forget the grey market. Grey market usually give lower price as they don't have problem like the local taxes. So most merchant are having difficulty in competing with grey market.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Now if you can ask your friend how much margin canon is giving the retailer it will be better and whom they are giving it to, so we can demand the same price point :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by technophobic View Post
    There are several misconception about 0%.

Merchant shouldered the interest for the customer on the installment basis. In effect the customer get it at 0%. Merchant actually give discount on cash because they earn more.
    if that is the case, then that is a manufacturer or retailer incentive program - one that cc companies have nothing to do with. kinda like how Mazda offers the 3 with zero interest.

now i'm confused. ano dun sa dalawa pinag uusapan natin? :confused:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    2. There's no such thing as 0%. It's all a lie. Interests are already factored in. Consider, you can get discounts on cash but not on card.
    Why is it that when I purchased a Whirpool refrigerator a few months ago, I was able to get it for 6 months to pay for 0% and less 3% off the retail price? When I inquired if I will pay in cash instead, they said that I had to pay for the full retail price?

Bankard has even upped the ante by offering 2 more year of additional warranty on top of all 0% interest appliance transactions charged to them.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by larshell View Post
    Zero % is not true. The retail price is jack up para they can absorbed the interest. Gusto ng mga CC co. yan kasi by % ang commission nila. Bigger the amount syempre mas gusto nila. Pero diba jung ayaw mong mapamahal ipon muna. Kasi kung gagamitin mo yong pera nila imposimple na walang interest yon.
    Yeah! There's no such thing as 0%. Ano loko, magpautang ka ng walang interest or gain on the part of the creditor. They just made it appear na 0%. Pang come-on lang ito.

BTW, yung laptop ko 2 payments na lang fully paid na. Uutang na naman!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Are there risks to merchants on 0% installments?