New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Old news, proper implementation is key.

Some do it right, other's don't. But I do agree with the Doctor that it should be done in a positive atmosphere. Afterall, they will follow the law naman as long as the regulation and checking is not ningas-kugon.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I heard she grew up in Binondo, she should start there.
    She has.

It's time for doctors, lawyers, dentists to start paying proper taxes (ie income taxes and VAT).

I think people should distinguish between charity work and paying what's due. Charity is voluntary, paying taxes should be obligatory.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    So honest doctors can't complain?

I know there are some who don't issue receipts, but doctors are by-and-large a giving lot. What the doctor who wrote that said was true... if they collected on all their IOUs, they'd be filthy rich... but they don't.

My aunt has been a cardiologist for over twenty years. There's no dobut she gets paid a lot, but she works hard for her money. Clinics in four different hospitals, and a day that starts at 4am (first clinic opens at 7am, forty kilometers away) and ends at midnight, when she finishes reviewing the ECGs and ultrasounds she brings home. At odd times, she will be called to the emergency room.

She charges what people can pay, and on some check-ups, she doesn't charge regular clients, as courtesy, no matter how rich or poor they are.

In our hospital, it's easy to talk to the doctors to get them to lower their professional fee or accept an IOU. I don't get charged by most of my doctors because they're either family, friends or co-workers. But I know that they don't charge some of their patients, either, when those patients are indigents. Shouldn't they get tax breaks for that? They don't, obviously.
    Charity is charity, tax is tax. So can you tell us how much tax they pay as % of their income? I can look anyone straight in the eye and say I pay 30%. Do they pay anywhere near as much? Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

It's good that the BIR is trying to regulate taxes... but do their agents stake out fast food joints 24-7? Do they do the same to machine shops or auto supplies? This is discrimination, pure and simple. To make someone feel like a criminal with up-front surveillance and harrassment with no just cause is crual and unusual punishment.

----
    Do you know for a fact that they haven't gone after other shops?

People should just pay what's due and stop this appeal to emotion (because of charity or pro bono services). I hope the BIR goes after all these who don't pay whether they are doctors or not. Step it up!!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by creepy View Post
    Charity is charity, tax is tax. So can you tell us how much tax they pay as % of their income? I can look anyone straight in the eye and say I pay 30%. Do they pay anywhere near as much? Do you?
    Charitable donations count as tax bonuses. Shouldn't charitable work, too?

Of course I pay 30%. Which has always puzzled me, since I'm not a Filipino citizen. So on top of that 30%, plus SSS, plus Pag-ibig, neither of which I can claim, I pay alien tax.

Do you know for a fact that they haven't gone after other shops?
    Of course, they do. They go after businesses and sometimes open up the books. (I've had dealings with the BIR). What they don't do is stake out our storefront and confront every single customer.

People should just pay what's due and stop this appeal to emotion (because of charity or pro bono services). I hope the BIR goes after all these who don't pay whether they are doctors or not. Step it up!!
    The question is not whether they go after evaders or not. Obviously they should, but they should do it properly. Staking out a business and telling them you're staking them out is not good surveillance. That's like posting cops at the door of a known drug den and stopping everyone on the way out. You're obviously not going to catch them selling drugs that way.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Phil. govt 2012 budget 1.816 trillion pesos

gotta collect more taxes

gotta squeeze more out of the private sector

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Pigang-piga na kami.... Sa iba naman sila dumidiskarte....

14.4K:out:

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Maniwala kayo sa BIR.

Walang porma yan sa malalaking negosyante.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I myself can't remember the last time any of our doctors ever handed out a receipt. I know that I'm partly at fault for not asking for them but my rationale here is that, I very much hold them in high regard as they obviously have a very important job. Also, handing out receipts should be something that's part of the transaction routine. As with many merchants, I sometimes have this notion that if they can get away with not giving you a receipt, a good majority will.

Not meaning to condone the practices of the BIR agents, but I think they could've done it with more finesse and professional courtesy.
    I agree with you on this oj88. Most doctors that I have been too does not give you a receipt unless you ask for it. It's rare that one will issue you a receipt voluntarily. It's common knowledge that doctors and other health professionals are getting away with this practice of not paying their taxes properly. There was even an instance of a lady doctor in Medical City that my mother was seeing regularly for her illness who when I asked for a receipt and a senior citizen discount from her secretary and she told us that the discount was already included on the fee she was regularly paying (I know it wasnt because I noticed that they were charging the same fee to non-senior citizens) and if we are given a receipt, they would have to add the VAT! I was ready to explode and scold them but I stopped myself as I was worried that she would not treat my Mom properly in the future or would drop her as a patient and I don't want that on my conscience. So I agree that it is about time that the BIR goes after them, but I agree that is should be done on a more finesse and professional manner.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Baka namam kasi may commission pa BIR Agents kays medyo hot sila. jk
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

That is a possibility bro,- para maging aggressive sila sa pangongolekta ng tax......

14.4K:out:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
The theft of joy