New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    sabi ng mga matatanda si Henry Sy daw dati nakasando lang kung magtinda ng sapatos dyan sa Carriedo. tapos dun una natayo ang first Shoemart, Sm carriedo. HS din ata lang natapos ni Henry sy.
    But he'll probably be the first person to say he wished he stayed in school. ;) The fella has old school Chinese work ethic that not a lot of people can master.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Mismong drop-out ng Harvard is the world's richest man. What more can you?
    Now, now, the operative word is drop-out. He chose to leave, illustrating the fact that it is the individual who makes his own fate. For Mr. Gates, the school was not everything.

Education is a tool. You can chop a tree with an axe, you can do it faster with a chainsaw, but without your own hands, the tool just sits there. Of course, it's nicer to be from Harvard than AMA, just like it's nicer to have a chainsaw rather than an axe.

Btw, I really dunno what more can I...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think it was Steve Jobs who, in a speech given to Ivy Leaguers, told them bluntly that though he didn't come from a fancy school, he was a billionaire, while they could only ever aspire to be vice presidents. Or something to that effect. Harvard guarantees you interviews for the good jobs, but it doesn't guarantee you can keep it. Of course, if you pass entrance for Harvard, you've got to be pretty good in the first place.

Tama nga, there's a reason Bill Gates dropped out. He wasn't learning what he needed to know, and he wasn't accomplishing anything.

I, for one, actually intend to take my MBA at a good school. I don't really discount the value of a good education, but there's a point of diminishing returns. You can only teach so much more at Harvard than at Ateneo or AIM... and most of that is down to the experience and ability of the professors involved. In fact, through extra-curricular reading and practice, you can learn much more.

The biggest value from going to a "better" school is that transfer of experience and the connections you make, with teachers, with other students, with institutions. While the name of the school looks impressive on your resume, that only serves to get one foot in the door. The rest really depends on how good you really are.

RE: The comment about people who can't hack it in the US: That only serves to illustrate my point. They graduate from the same school as others... pass the same qualification exams, but they don't have it in them to go as far as the other guy or girl, who slugs it out and comes out on top of their profession.

And hey, who said it was the board toppers who were coming back because they couldn't cut it? Those who come back are the ones who went merely for the money, and who don't love their job. If they'd stayed, they'd be out of work here anyway. Most of the excellent ones who do come back, come back to study more, to teach others who want to go (though this kind of dedication to the advancement of the profession is getting rare nowadays), or to set up business locally. Life in the US isn't always the end goal of everyone who goes.

The education is a tool, yes. And a very good one. But it's not the only tool. The best tool is yourself.
    Last edited by niky; June 24th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Mismong drop-out ng Harvard is the world's richest man. What more can you?

Eh yung famous dropout ng Ateneo? Isa siya sa Phil. richest din, di ba? Yun nga lang, binanatan siya ng plunder.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The biggest value from going to a "better" school is that transfer of experience and the connections you make, with teachers, with other students, with institutions. While the name of the school looks impressive on your resume, that only serves to get one foot in the door. The rest really depends on how good you really are.
    Yup yup... good point.

From my post grad studies what mattered most is the experience that I got from my fellow students. In some subjects, they are even more knowledgeable than our textbook facilitator.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap
    Eh yung famous dropout ng Ateneo? Isa siya sa Phil. richest din, di ba? Yun nga lang, binanatan siya ng plunder.

psssst! wag kang maingay! PARE ko yon.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=niky]

plus confidence that is reflected on your personality.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uls
    How can educational plan funds grow as fast as tuition fee increases?

I'm no financial expert but is there any legal, liquid investment out there that grows faster than tuition fees year after year in order for the fund to meet its obligations, cover operating cost, and make some profit?

The educational plan companies have obligations to pay the tuition fees regardless how high... the earnings of the funds simply cannot keep up with tuition fee increases. Kaya time will come when it will run out of money. Thats what happened to those educational plan companies.
    Tumpak.

I'm not on a pre-need plan. When the pre-need fiasco started I asked my dad why I don't have CAP; he explained exactly that to me. In summary he said "Hindi ko makita kung paano uubra ang business model nila" (then he went into how insurance works, etc.). To be fair, kaya naman ng magulang ko na pag-aralin ako ngayon, but ten years ago, di kami ganun ka-may kaya.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ETON ang matindi, dito 44,000 usd/year lang...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...205329,00.html

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky

The education is a tool, yes. And a very good one. But it's not the only tool. The best tool is yourself.

very true. I took a tri-mestral 4 year course from one of the best computer schools in our country today. I manage to get a meager paying job as in-house technician to a major IT ompany that serves banks.

I took a 5-day course from a commercialized training school in Makati. I went on opening up my own business and went as far as opening up to 3 profiting branches. the key -> passion and loving what you do.

now I've lost the passion and have made several attempts to bring back the old enthusiastic me but I failed. I closed my branches this summer alone and now, I'm contemplating on closing the last one. The funny thing is I seem to have a happy thought when I imagine closing the last one ... weird! hehehe

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
taas na nang halaga nang edukasyon ngayon!!!