New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Twice I came home from Manila to the US they asked if I had anything agricultural, or anything to declare sabi ko wala (totoo naman eh). But they still asked me to go to agricultural section wala naman nakita. I'm pretty sure this isn't random anymore since two consecutive years nangyari ito. 2006 and this time, 2007. This was in LAX.

I don't think they're ordered to talk too much, psychologically it's meant to instill their authority. If it's not necessary why bother siguro ang principle nila.

Going out of the US I left my boarding pass sa bag ko, pero dadaan pa sa final X-ray and body search ng LAX. Since I left my boarding pass (my dad too by the way) we were asked to stay prior to entering the metal detector until it was verified that we have the boarding pass in one of the bags. True enough they found them there. Dati naman kahit wala sa amin yung boarding pass pwede dumaan.

Never had any problems, funny incidences, etc with other immigration officers we've encountered. Wife and I went to Singapore last July, no problems it was actually very quick (Tiger Airways budget kami hehe).

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Sa Morroco, naman yung paalis ako. Sa airport titingnan nila yung wallet mo. You're not allowed to bring US$ out of Morroco. Nataon na meron akong $15 (lang!) sa pitaka. Aba, pati ba naman yun, gustong i-confiscate. Sabi ko, pambili ko ng snacks sa Charles de Gaulle Airport (France, stop-over ko). Mahabang pakiusapan. Pumayag naman.

Mahigpit sila pag naglabas ka ng foreign currency sa Morroco.

Bro, sa experience ko naman dito sa morocco, hindi naman tinitingnan ang wallet ko. Tinanong lang kung magkano pera ko. Sinabi ko meron ako 700 euro, ok naman. Sa pagkakaalam ko meron lang limit pwede ka maglabas ng pera. Saan airport ka sinita. Casablanca lagi exit ko?

Experience ko nman nung pagbalik ko, nakita yung dala ko rice cooker (wala kasi dito eh). Gusto ba naman i-tax. Pati yung bagong camera na bili ko, kelangan din daw bayaran ang tax. Eh sa pinas ko na man binili at personal na gamit ko yun. Sabi, bago raw kasi..ngek!

Nung sa algeria naman ako, napaka-strict. Sa pagdating mo kelangan i-declare lahat ng personal na gamit mo at pera, dahil sa paglabas ay kung wala sa listahan sa declaration, di mo pwedeng ilabas. Tapos nasa declaration naman tapos di mo dala palabas, ma hold ka. Higpit mga algeryano. Hinahalungkat lahat gamit pag nag enter at exit ka. Di na nakuntento sa x-ray.

Sa London naman, mga usual lang na mga tanong from immigration officer pero sa paglabas mo nandun na yung mga security na naka HK MP5 tapos me mga dala-dalang aso para simhotin yung luggage mo. Pag meron di kanais-nais na amoy, kelangan bukas luggage.

Pagdating naman sa pinas walang kahirap-hirap. Ambilis basta OFW .

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the European immigration officers are pleasant enough. even the French who everyone says are masungit...they have always treated me ok. although in Germany grabe yung security search and screening before you enter the terminal or change terminals...todo x-ray, metal detector wands, manual search and other weird tests that they did with my luggage. they did this to everyone, so i'm sure i wasn't being singled out.

in the US, everyone is nice and treats you with respect as long as you show them the same respect. if you are belligerent or uncooperative, then prepare to be shown a hard time. i have heard about the power tripping Fil Am IO's in LAX from my relatives, but (luckily?) i don't fly into LAX all that often.

yung mga Indian masusungit, and so was one pinay in NAIA...baka mainit lang ulo nya noon.

i think the most important thing is that you be prepared with the forms properly filled out, all required docs like passport, visa, boarding pass, etc. all ready in your hand. answer all questions truthfully, respectfully but confidently, and you'll be on your way. i think they respect efficiency and competency, and they will be less inclined to hassle you.

but approach them unprepared, or timidly, or with hostility, and you'll be more inclined to get the rubber glove treatment :evillaugh

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    way back 2004 sa myanmar o burma, tatlong tao ang pinagdadaanan yung passport bago ma-stamp. mga jewelries/cameras ay dapat declared items but not handphone dahil bawal pa nito noon na magpasok sa kanila "a basic handphone unit can fetch a street price of around U$ 4000.00" baka daw benta mo ng kahit 500$ lang
    sa jakarta naman noon... grabe rin mga immigration officers dahil kahit mahaba ang pila, kinokotongan ang mga new arrivals especially non-aseans.
    sa bangkok naman, walang kaproble-problema dahil puro mababait ang mag immig. officers nila krub (kap) palagi hehehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    It's pretty obvious that in the US, the "leniency" or "strictness" of the immigration officer is based on their file/dossier of you which pops out when they scan your passport. It's not a discretion thing....it's your relative "threat" as defined by homeland security/INS. If you are not questioned going in, rest assured that you will never be questioned unless you start visiting Basilan or start making phone calls to Iraq (or something like that).

Here's my funny story. My mom and dad were on a trip to Hawaii in the late 70s....bago naging uso ang mga credit card. Customs were asking my parents why they were bringing in so much money. My dad says it's for shopping. Customs replies: "But $50,000?? I've never seen that much in my life!!". My dad says: "Well, that's unfortunate...". They were immediately let in, no more questions asked.

I guess my point is that yes, you do need to treat immigration/customs officials with some degree of politeness, but that's it!! Even if I speak the local language, I'll always talk to them in English. I never give them more information than needed. I never dress up to impress them (same goes for embassy interviews). But I answer their questions as asked and am courteous.

In the end, it's been smooth sailing through immigration for me except for one time in France...but then again this was just after 9/11. But he was still a jerk.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Medyo inis ako ng konti sa mga US Immigration.

Sa LAX, they ask more questions than usual, particularly, if I'm bringing tocino, longanisa, bagoon, etc.

Sa Guam naman, Pinoy passport holders were segregated, and we have to wait for 45mins pa, dahil transit lang to Saipan.

This is what I get from the land of the "free". Discrimination!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by akal View Post
    Bro, sa experience ko naman dito sa morocco, hindi naman tinitingnan ang wallet ko. Tinanong lang kung magkano pera ko. Sinabi ko meron ako 700 euro, ok naman. Sa pagkakaalam ko meron lang limit pwede ka maglabas ng pera. Saan airport ka sinita. Casablanca lagi exit ko?
    Sa Casabalanca ako nag-exit. Baka natiyempuhan lang ako. Pero sinabihan na ako, bago pa ako pumunta roon. Binulatlat yung wallet ko du'n sa baggage X-Ray at doon nga nakita yung $15 ko.

Bro, kumusta yung mga pulang "limousine" (lumang model ng Chedeng) sa Casabalnca? Kala ko luma na yung mga taxi natin sa Pinas. He-he!

Ayos yang airport sa Casablanca. Yan lang ang nakita kong airport na nagkalat ang pusa. Mismo sa lobby, palakad-lakad sila.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Minsan pa lang naman ako nakapag-travel abroad, to HK last June 2007. Ok naman yung mga immigration officers nila, kaya lang parang matagal magbasa. They asked me and my wife a few questions, but took a relatively long time reading our documents (passport, travel tickets, immigration arrival cards, etc).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by HIFI View Post
    Medyo inis ako ng konti sa mga US Immigration.

Sa LAX, they ask more questions than usual, particularly, if I'm bringing tocino, longanisa, bagoon, etc.

Sa Guam naman, Pinoy passport holders were segregated, and we have to wait for 45mins pa, dahil transit lang to Saipan.

This is what I get from the land of the "free". Discrimination!
    dude...you will get hassled if you bring in food or produce, especially those na maamoy or could be considered "exotic" in the states. bagoong??! :shocked2:

the quarantine rules are super-strict in the US because foreign foods or animals typically bring in disease or pests that could be extremely destructive.

didn't they tell you this at immigration?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    One time I was entering US thru LAX. IO asked how much money I had. I had no idea and looked at my wife. She answered $3000. IO why is she answering for you. I said, I make the money, she keeps it. IO smiled and said yeah it usually like that when your married.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Rants and Raves With Immigration Officers Upon Arrival to Country of Destination