New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    gud day guys,

I need some advice regarding how to buy a secondhand car,
    Im more interested wit the legal conditions; like how do i know the registration is proper and that i will not have any registration problem later. how will i know if the vehicle is not carnapped or aquirred illegally. what and where do I check? should I bring money at first canvass of the unit or comback with payment later? how will go about this things without offending the seller? guys I really need some advice :-( Its my first time to buy a used vehicle. well most people will advice that you buy from person recommended by frends or family but there will come a time that you will have no choice but to deal with total strangers. pls give me some advice and pointers....... thanks and more power!!

sparrow
    Last edited by sparrow; August 20th, 2004 at 05:48 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    we purchased a second hand car last month.
    some answers:
    1. To know if the car is stolen or not you need to get the PNP/TMG Clearance. Check also the original copies of the OR/CR if they have it on hand.
    2. It is good to look into the background of the people selling, like what their job is or even where they live, this can give an idea on how they may handle the car or even if it was stolen.
    (When we purchased our car we had quite good luck, it was in a nearby subdivision and teh owner was a lawyer.)
    3. You may chose to bring money during the viewing but this would amount to around 10% or so of the vehicle cost, this may serve as a reservation for the car. (This is what we did)
    4. Check the car thoroughly! Do a test drive, make sure you do this when the engine is cold to see how it starts also, Check every light, every lock and such (you most likely are already aware of this though)
    5. Bring a mechanic (we didnt, but i know a bit about cars so i did the checking myself)

well these are just my suggestions.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I agree with Chris_d. The most important thing is to know the background of the owner. Oftentimes you will be dealing with buy&sell agent pretending that they are the relative of the owner ... there is no wrong about buy&sell agent ... in fact you can be assured that the papers of the car is most likely in order. They are more efficient and experienced people on checking the background of the vehicle ... afterall it is their source of living. The only disadvantage in dealing with them is the price ... be aware also that totally wrecked cars paid by insurance company are rebuilt and sold in open market as secondhand.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by chris_d
    4. Check the car thoroughly! Do a test drive, make sure you do this when the engine is cold to see how it starts
    true dapat test mo siya while the engine is cold. and don't believe sellers that say na " ganyan lang talaga yan pag malamig pa makina". there is no such thing.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tignan mo yung name na nasa CR/OR. kelangan ma-trace mo yung name na yun at dapat mapuntahan mo so that you will know the background of the car................

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jim
    tignan mo yung name na nasa CR/OR. kelangan ma-trace mo yung name na yun at dapat mapuntahan mo so that you will know the background of the car................
    true...yung sa akin mag-asawa yung nakapangalan...malaman-laman ko naghiwalay pala at nahirapan ako hagilapin yung lalaki para lang magpapirma for change of ownership...

mali ko rin tumagal din ng mga 2 weeks bago ko nilakad yung papers...ayun nakaalis na papuntang states yung kumag na nagbenta sa kin...t*do talaga yun, sinumpa ko nga yun eh. :D

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    gee thanks guys, so i should insist on a test drive huh?... so if the seller did not agree for a test drive does it mean tha the vehicle is not worth buying anyway? when should i do this? on the first visit or if when i decided that i want to buy the car already?. How do you exactly check for the pnp-tmg clearance what is the procedure? ..........thanks guys for your advices....but i will still appreciate more advices. thanks!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If all things are done and you're ready to pay for the vehicle, i suggest you get a photocopy of OR and CR and do this things first (if possible)...

1. Check the actual Motor and Chassis Number for any presence of Tampering and that it matches the numbers on the OR/CR.

2. Check the authenticity of the OR/CR/Plate Number of the VEHICLE to the LTO where it was registered

3. If u can, check with the MVCO-TMG or SOD-TMG if subject motor vehicle is included in the Wanted List.

FYI, this thing happened to me. i bought a used car before and everything was legal, but the problem was there was a typographical error on the CR of the car's body number. so when i was about to transfer the ownership, it became a problem. the LTO office where the car was last registered is 150 kms away. so it took me 2 days and a thousand bucks to have it corrected. moral of the story, follow suggestion #1.

WANT SOME JUICE> HERE

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Pag ayaw magpa-testdrive, assume the car is a lemon. If you want a pre-owned car with warranty, you should checkout the car dealer rather than individuals. Medyo mahal nga lang pero mas may tiwala ako.

need advice bout buying a used car