The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    God plays cosmic billiards

we're just living in a period between earth-shattering collisions

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *niky, i thought you said "intercept", i took that as before it enters earth's atmosphere. and assuming technology allows it (in the future) then nuke it before entry. the idea, i read somewhere, is not to break it up but nudge it in a direction so that it avoids collision with the planet. if it is already in the atmosphere then you are right, absolutely useless to do so, let it fall wherever and hope for the best.

btw, inaccurate yung report. the size of a bus cannot be 7000 tons even if it's made of lead. more probably 7000 kilograms.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    They said it's just a meter in diameter but weighs several tons

4. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    maybe si Bumblebee yon nagcrash.
    If it's not bumblebee it, might be Kokey or Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Why can't stuff like these crash at Beijing, like say, on Mao's tomb or at the PLA office.
    Russia has a large land area probably next asteroid would hit China na.

US tested new weapon, no meteor in Chelyabinsk

The firebrand Russian Liberal Democrat leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky claims that no meteor fell in the Urals on Friday, but rather the US was testing a new weapon.

“You’re like some primitive tribe. What meteorite?” he said, arguing that space is a “universe that has its own laws.”

Zhirinovsky, more known for clownish political outrage rather than his actual political platform, added: “When something falls – it’s man-made. People are warmongers and provocateurs.”

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Why can't stuff like these crash at Beijing, like say, on Mao's tomb or at the PLA office.
    NorKor? ... what do you think?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mas ok sa china. mga 100 tons ok na yun, break up into 100 different pieces. simultaneous strike!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    after the meteor exploded...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post

Lamang ni OB is kung earth killer yung asteroid, wala na tayo dito to contradict his theory if ever.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    after the meteor exploded...

OB is that you?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    *niky, i thought you said "intercept", i took that as before it enters earth's atmosphere. and assuming technology allows it (in the future) then nuke it before entry. the idea, i read somewhere, is not to break it up but nudge it in a direction so that it avoids collision with the planet. if it is already in the atmosphere then you are right, absolutely useless to do so, let it fall wherever and hope for the best.

btw, inaccurate yung report. the size of a bus cannot be 7000 tons even if it's made of lead. more probably 7000 kilograms.
    Ah. Yup... the good old nudge... yun nga lang... for small meteors, we can't see them early enough to send a nuke out that far. Maybe if we had a ring of defensive satellites equipped with nukes, puwede.

According to the internets... dirt is about 1.6 tons per cubic meter.

I've been hearing wildly different estimates for the size, from 10 tons to 9000 tons from the media. I think the problem is that the media took the estimated length and said "that's as big as a bus!" but there's a difference between 15 meters by 2 by 2 and 15 meters cubed. 15x15x15 meters is about 6k tons of dirt. The meteor was likely denser, so 7k tons.

Of course, Fox news mucks it up exactly this way:
    Russian meteorite: Why didn't scientists see it coming? | Fox News
    And even then... no way can you get ten tons from a 15 meter long meteor... not unless it was roughly cylindrical in shape and less than a meter in diameter.

Current estimates now peg it at 17 meters. 10,000 tons. 500 kilotons of explosive force and 4,000 buildings damaged. If that fell over New York, the damage would have been much worse. Dayumn.

Quote Originally Posted by ronki View Post
    Ito ba yung meteorite na sinasabi nilang dadaan sa earth na sobrang lapit pero hindi tatama?
    Completely different.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast