New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    (Excerpt from Associated Press)

WASHINGTON - Having several older brothers increases the likelihood of a man being gay, a finding researchers say adds weight to the idea that there is a biological basis for ***ual orientation.

"It's likely to be a prenatal effect," said Anthony F. Bogaert of Brock University in St. Catharines, Canada, "This and other studies suggest that there is probably a biological basis for" homo***uality.

S. Marc Breedlove of Michigan State University said the finding "absolutely" confirms a physical basis.

"Anybody's first guess would have been that the older brothers were having an effect socially, but this data doesn't support that," Breedlove said in a telephone interview.

The only link between the brothers is the mother and so the effect has to be through the mother, especially since stepbrothers didn't have the effect, said Breedlove, who was not part of the research.

Bogaert studied four groups of Canadian men, a total of 944 people, analyzing the number of brothers and sisters each had, whether or not they lived with those siblings and whether the siblings were related by blood or adopted.

He reports in a paper appearing in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the
    National Academy of Sciences that having several biological older brothers increased the chance of a man being gay.

It's an effect that can be detected with one older brother and becomes stronger with three or four or more, Bogaert said in a telephone interview.

But, he added, this needs to be looked at in context of the overall rate of homo***uality in men, which he suggested is about 3 percent. With several older brothers the rate may increase from 3 percent to 5 percent, he said, but that still means 95 percent of men with several older brothers are hetero***ual.

The effect of birth order on male homo***uality has been reported previously but Bogaert's work is the first designed to rule out social or environmental effects.

Bogaert said he concluded the effect was biological by comparing men with biological brothers to those with brothers to whom they were not biologically related.

The increase in the likelihood of being gay was seen only in those whose brothers had the same mothers, whether they were raised together or not, he said.

Men raised with several older step- or adopted brothers do not have an increased chance of being gay.

"So what that means is that the environment a person is raised in really makes not much difference," he said.

What makes a difference, he said, is having older brothers who shared the same womb and gestational experience, suggesting the difference is because of "some sort of prenatal factor."

One possibility, he suggests, is a maternal immune response to succeeding male fetuses. The mother may react to a male fetus as foreign but not to a female fetus because the mother is also female.

It might be like the maternal immune response that can occur when a mother has Rh-negative blood but her fetus has Rh-positive blood. Without treatment, the mother can develop antibodies that may attack the fetus during future pregnancies.

Whether that's what is happening remains to be seen, but it is a provocative hypothesis, said a commentary by Breedlove, David A. Puts and Cynthia L. Jordan, all of Michigan State.

The research was funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

================================================== ========

...hmmm, I wonder what that is?!?.. I don't have dud sibling/s, but many said too that if you have a sis sibling/s older than you are (like me, w/ 3 older sis's, being youngest), your are in the midst of 'gayhood'. Well, quite disagree w/ that statement,.. bcoz I'm very 'streeeyyyt',.. ahem..., I mean, 'STRAIGHT" ako mga pare, hehe!

Very ironic too in our clan like for example, on my father's side, my cousin who's the eldest-sibling-bro w/ 3 younger sisis, turned out to be 'gay' since way back our childhood days pa. I think the story behind is, w/thin the entire exposure w/ her sistahs, and so the culprit, his gay tito, that sparked him to explore 'more' of himself that eventually turned him gone to the other side of his=>her ***uality.

I remember, nung bata pa kame, there's a free circumcision from my other cousin's med-mission (practicing-med at that time) in their home garage here in our village, so daming nakapilang excited na mga kabataang katulad ko, ahehe,. while yung consin kong nagsisimula ng maging bakla at that young age, saw the whole procedure on what-the-hell was happening,.. then all of a sudden, imagine, he just backed-out and didn't want to be done on her, i mean him (quite!?!), kung baga, nabakla ata nung nakita pa yung madugong procedure. So years & years gone by, he=>she didn't bother to have 'tule' and hell yeh, 'he' is now a dominant 'SHE' , now living w/ an american bf in San Francisco, (yeah, 'Brokeback' Asian Gay Edtn.), and chose to have a physical changes under the knife.

So as my uncle (his=>her dad) just needs to go w/ the flow, nothing much he can do about it.

Hay my pinsan ohh, siya na panganay, siya pa bumigay ohh, tsk tsk!
    Last edited by rayban7g; June 27th, 2006 at 04:00 AM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hmm, buti nalang ako yung Koya.

Take note, sir glenn, na sa Canada itong study na ito... ingat lang dyan...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    d papayag mga bunso nyan. sino mga bunsoy dito hehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    Hmm, buti nalang ako yung Koya.

Take note, sir glenn, na sa Canada itong study na ito... ingat lang dyan... :

ay cheeka doodle doo!!

dontcha worry papi. mga baklesh ditow tagush. di halata

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung kilala ko, mas maton pa ang bunsoy as in nabilanggo pa...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pakshet. Bunso ako! Di naman halatang baklesh ang byuti ko ah!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMagic
    Pakshet. Bunso ako! Di naman halatang baklesh ang byuti ko ah!

papi..itago mo yung hinliliit mong daliri..nakatikwash kashi pag nagwawash and wax ka!chika!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hayuf ka glenn, sumasakit ang tiyan ko sa kakatawa :bwahaha:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter
    papi..itago mo yung hinliliit mong daliri..nakatikwash kashi pag nagwawash and wax ka!chika!
    Hoy bruha bumalik ka dito at kukulutan kita with free mek up pa. Charing!!!

Men w/ older brothers more likely to be GAY!