New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Lets just pray that when it happens we're not in the wrong place at the wrong time...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    We have all the time to prepare but when do we start?

I hope you guys are starting to figure out your emergency plan specially on your homes..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    How stupid does Norberto Gonzales sound saying "there is no 100% preparation for a major earthquake..."? How about the government just being prepared for an earthquake? If the big one hit it Manila would be like San Francisco with the 1906 earthquake, except instead of fire you would have a lot of building collapse. Just look at what they showed on the video, cement walls cracked and no evidence of rebar in the cement wall for reinforcement, houses built on top of the fault line, and to top it all the biggest mall built in a reclamation area where you'll have soil liquefaction as the ground below it settles from the shaking of the earthquake.
    Yung MOA lulubog ba sa dagat kung lumindol ng 7.2? I read it in tsikot before that MOA had lots of crack and water seepages before it was rectified. The cracked low-cost goverment provided housing isn't the only one built along the fault line. I think Eastwood, Ortigas Center and Valle Verde Subdivisions are also built on top/near the fault line. If the buildings in Baguio were a measure of the buildings in Manila when it bore the brunt of a 7.7 earthquake, nakakatakot yung resulting damage talaga...

http://www.webcitation.org/5khYd2IQE

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Don't know how the building would do in a major earthquake but I am pretty sure you will have some more settlement of the grounds in MOA. There is no way man can simulate the amount of shaking on the ground during the earthquake so you'll still have soil liquefaction. I was going to school in Manila at the time of the 1990 earthquake and if it did that much damage in Baguio imagine with the bigger building and much denser population of Metro Manila the carnage that can happen. The problem is the building codes aren't being followed to prevent these things from happening. Which is odd that Gonzales would say "there is no 100% preparation for a major earthquake" because you don't prepare for the earthquake itself you prepare for the possible damage it can cause and you do that by following the building codes and not building houses on top of the fault itself.

I know that buildings can be built to withstand major earthquakes, I was in Guam in 1993 when we had an 8.1 and only one building was damaged, the reason for it was because the owners of the hotel wanted to cut cost and had the contractor water down the cement they used. Guess what happened? The hotel which was waiting for it's grand opening fell and leaned on the other hotel tower next to it, a month later both buildings were demolished and the owners couldn't collect insurance because the investigation revealed what they did. All the other hotels in the area had minimal to no damage because everything was built to the building code. All the homes on the island withstood that 8.1 with minimal damage and no lives were lost. In contrast to Haiti where thousands died on a 7.0 and the Presidential Palace collapsed. Why? Because buildings were built with no reinfocements. Just look at the pictures and find the rebar used in the cement walls. There is none the walls are have a clean break with no steel bars sticking out.

http://behindblondiepahttp://ondeadl...lace-quake.jpg

http://behindblondiepark.com/wp-cont...e_6_23095f.jpg
    Last edited by redorange; April 29th, 2010 at 07:33 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Major Earthquake will hit manila...